Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boxing in a 6" dia outlet

The final phase (Albeit 3 months later than planned) of completing the
kitchen refit I need to box in the outlet for the cooker hood. Said hose is
one of the expandable convoluted aluminium type stretched to suit the
distance between the walls.
The hood chucks through 720 cu/ft a min when full on hence the diameter
required.

From one side across to the other side outer wall it disappears through a
through a nice outlet and the entire shebang is clipped to the adjacent
wall. Span is only 77".

2 x 2 is already in place as a framework on wall and ceiling, and I'll
probably add whatever reinforcing where required, so my question is

1) Plasterboard and paint over. 3/8ths?
2) Plywood and paint over. 1/8th ?
or
3) What?

Opinions?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2012 16:48, Nthkentman wrote:
The final phase (Albeit 3 months later than planned) of completing the
kitchen refit I need to box in the outlet for the cooker hood. Said hose
is one of the expandable convoluted aluminium type stretched to suit the
distance between the walls.
The hood chucks through 720 cu/ft a min when full on hence the diameter
required.

From one side across to the other side outer wall it disappears through
a through a nice outlet and the entire shebang is clipped to the
adjacent wall. Span is only 77".

2 x 2 is already in place as a framework on wall and ceiling, and I'll
probably add whatever reinforcing where required, so my question is

1) Plasterboard and paint over. 3/8ths?
2) Plywood and paint over. 1/8th ?
or
3) What?

Opinions?

Personally I would use plywood (or MDF, if I had that to hand) but
probably 9 or 12 mm: easier to work and fit, more rigid so should not
vibrate and will look nicer. With 6 mm you need a batten on the inside
and probably a moulding on the outside to make it look tidy.

You *do* already have a sawboard, I trust? If not, see wiki.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Nthkentman
writes
The final phase (Albeit 3 months later than planned) of completing the
kitchen refit I need to box in the outlet for the cooker hood. Said hose is
one of the expandable convoluted aluminium type stretched to suit the
distance between the walls.
The hood chucks through 720 cu/ft a min when full on hence the diameter
required.

From one side across to the other side outer wall it disappears through a
through a nice outlet and the entire shebang is clipped to the adjacent
wall. Span is only 77".

2 x 2 is already in place as a framework on wall and ceiling, and I'll
probably add whatever reinforcing where required, so my question is

1) Plasterboard and paint over. 3/8ths?
2) Plywood and paint over. 1/8th ?
or
3) What?

The ply will be easier as the long edges wont need extra finishing (as
long as you put a small lap on the horizontal to cover the sides).
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
eb.com...

On 12/12/2012 16:48, Nthkentman wrote:
The final phase (Albeit 3 months later than planned) of completing the
kitchen refit I need to box in the outlet for the cooker hood. Said hose
is one of the expandable convoluted aluminium type stretched to suit the
distance between the walls.
The hood chucks through 720 cu/ft a min when full on hence the diameter
required.

From one side across to the other side outer wall it disappears through
a through a nice outlet and the entire shebang is clipped to the
adjacent wall. Span is only 77".

2 x 2 is already in place as a framework on wall and ceiling, and I'll
probably add whatever reinforcing where required, so my question is

1) Plasterboard and paint over. 3/8ths?
2) Plywood and paint over. 1/8th ?
or
3) What?

Opinions?

Personally I would use plywood (or MDF, if I had that to hand) but
probably 9 or 12 mm: easier to work and fit, more rigid so should not
vibrate and will look nicer. With 6 mm you need a batten on the inside
and probably a moulding on the outside to make it look tidy.

You *do* already have a sawboard, I trust? If not, see wiki.

Nope.... But the local "Shed" I am V V friendly with has a lovely wall
mounted saw unit.....
Amazing what a bottle of wine will help with

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2012 18:35, Nthkentman wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
eb.com...

On 12/12/2012 16:48, Nthkentman wrote:
The final phase (Albeit 3 months later than planned) of completing the
kitchen refit I need to box in the outlet for the cooker hood. Said hose
is one of the expandable convoluted aluminium type stretched to suit the
distance between the walls.
The hood chucks through 720 cu/ft a min when full on hence the diameter
required.

From one side across to the other side outer wall it disappears through
[...]

Well, that's OK if you have flat walls. Mine are wavy, so often the
first job is to scribe and cut an oversized board to fit the wall, then
you markup the other (outside) edge at each end where you want it to be,
then cut with the sawboard. That lets you construct square structures
which fit into irregular spaces.

But really, for speed of accurate construction of stuff out of sheet I
cannot recommend a sawboard too highly.