Old January 12th 18, 11:28 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default I've hacked off some tiles ....

Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.

Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend, but I
can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile adhesive is
still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting a clean
surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

Old January 12th 18, 11:59 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2018 11:28, GB wrote:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.

Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend, but I
can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile adhesive is
still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting a clean
surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

I have found a sharp wide wood chisel of the sort intended for hitting
with a hammer useful against the most stubborn tile adhesive. But a lot
of it will come off with a wallpaper scraper if you are lucky.

Expect some collateral damage unless you have a very steady hand.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old January 12th 18, 12:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

GB Wrote in message:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.

Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend, but I
can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile adhesive is
still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting a clean
surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

Got a multitool?

Carbide encrusted grinding /abradingattachment.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old January 12th 18, 12:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/18 11:28, GB wrote:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.

Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend, but I
can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile adhesive is
still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting a clean
surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?
destroy the PB and put up new, unless you value your time at 0.01p per

hour...

let them."

Old January 12th 18, 12:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2018 11:28, GB wrote:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.

Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend, but I
can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile adhesive is
still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting a clean
surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

There isn't one! Rip out the plasterboard and replace it - it's dirt
cheap. You don't have to skim the new board before tiling it.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old January 12th 18, 01:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Roger Mills Wrote in message:
On 12/01/2018 11:28, GB wrote:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.

Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend, but I
can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile adhesive is
still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting a clean
surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

There isn't one! Rip out the plasterboard and replace it - it's dirt
cheap. You don't have to skim the new board before tiling it.

Plus at least two trips 1 to the tip IF they accept plasterboard,

1 at least to the shed in your car possibly with roofrack (and
friend for 8x4 sheets) then bagging up & carting all the old out
& all the new in, ripping out, tidying up, fitting new, cleaning
up...... And then get to do what you set out to....

Depending on area involved, I'd try getting the worst off too!

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old January 12th 18, 02:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Very dust inducing though so wear a mask and have selective hearing when the
partner complains about dust being everywhere.....
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"jim" k wrote in message
o.uk...

Old January 12th 18, 05:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Tim Streater Wrote in message:

On 12/01/2018 11:28, GB wrote:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.

Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend, but I
can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile adhesive is
still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting a clean
surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

There isn't one! Rip out the plasterboard and replace it - it's dirt
cheap. You don't have to skim the new board before tiling it.

Plus at least two trips 1 to the tip IF they accept plasterboard,

Our tip takes plasterboard. They have a whole skip dedicated to it.

Good for *you*.
My nearest does too but others in the same area don't...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old January 12th 18, 05:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2018 11:28, GB wrote:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.

Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend, but I
can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile adhesive is
still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting a clean
surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

There isn't one! Rip out the plasterboard and replace it - it's dirt
cheap. You don't have to skim the new board before tiling it.

Plus at least two trips 1 to the tip IF they accept plasterboard,

Our tip takes plasterboard. They have a whole skip dedicated to it.

Good for *you*.
My nearest does too but others in the same area don't...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

The smaller size (1800 x 900) PB goes in most cars I would think
Old January 12th 18, 06:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 12/01/2018 11:28, GB wrote:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.

Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend, but I
can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile adhesive is
still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting a clean
surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

Tile over it.

--

Adam

Some more lathe progress (some pictures and some without) Ignoramus26563 Metalworking 2 February 7th 10 12:01 AM
You can find some nice lingerie at Victoria Secret or even atFrederick's of Hollywood for that special honeymoon night. You may even finethat Sears and Macys has some great lingerie for your bridal accessoriespackage. You will also find some great on [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 April 19th 08 11:08 AM
EBay Hacked Again ufo Home Repair 0 February 23rd 07 03:40 AM
Ebay Hacked Again - Passwords - Credit Cards? ufo Woodworking 0 February 23rd 07 03:22 AM
Why are some power supplies rated in VA and some in Watts and some in amperes? meirman Electronics Repair 2 March 8th 05 01:48 PM