Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default I've hacked off some tiles ....

Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.

Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend, but I
can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile adhesive is
still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting a clean
surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2018 11:28, GB wrote:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.

Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend, but I
can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile adhesive is
still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting a clean
surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

I have found a sharp wide wood chisel of the sort intended for hitting
with a hammer useful against the most stubborn tile adhesive. But a lot
of it will come off with a wallpaper scraper if you are lucky.

Expect some collateral damage unless you have a very steady hand.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

GB Wrote in message:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.

Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend, but I
can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile adhesive is
still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting a clean
surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

Got a multitool?

Carbide encrusted grinding /abradingattachment.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/18 11:28, GB wrote:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.

Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend, but I
can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile adhesive is
still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting a clean
surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?
destroy the PB and put up new, unless you value your time at 0.01p per

hour...

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2018 11:28, GB wrote:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.

Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend, but I
can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile adhesive is
still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting a clean
surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

There isn't one! Rip out the plasterboard and replace it - it's dirt
cheap. You don't have to skim the new board before tiling it.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Roger Mills Wrote in message:
On 12/01/2018 11:28, GB wrote:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.

Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend, but I
can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile adhesive is
still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting a clean
surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

There isn't one! Rip out the plasterboard and replace it - it's dirt
cheap. You don't have to skim the new board before tiling it.

Plus at least two trips 1 to the tip IF they accept plasterboard,

1 at least to the shed in your car possibly with roofrack (and
friend for 8x4 sheets) then bagging up & carting all the old out
& all the new in, ripping out, tidying up, fitting new, cleaning
up...... And then get to do what you set out to....

Depending on area involved, I'd try getting the worst off too!

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Tim Streater Wrote in message:

On 12/01/2018 11:28, GB wrote:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.

Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend, but I
can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile adhesive is
still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting a clean
surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

There isn't one! Rip out the plasterboard and replace it - it's dirt
cheap. You don't have to skim the new board before tiling it.

Plus at least two trips 1 to the tip IF they accept plasterboard,

Our tip takes plasterboard. They have a whole skip dedicated to it.

Good for *you*.
My nearest does too but others in the same area don't...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2018 11:28, GB wrote:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.

Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend, but I
can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile adhesive is
still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting a clean
surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

There isn't one! Rip out the plasterboard and replace it - it's dirt
cheap. You don't have to skim the new board before tiling it.

Plus at least two trips 1 to the tip IF they accept plasterboard,

Our tip takes plasterboard. They have a whole skip dedicated to it.

Good for *you*.
My nearest does too but others in the same area don't...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

The smaller size (1800 x 900) PB goes in most cars I would think

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 12 January 2018 11:28:35 UTC, GB wrote:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.

Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend, but I
can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile adhesive is
still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting a clean
surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

Impossible. Replace the PB, adding insulation if it's an outside wall.
PB can be disposed of in garden soil if wanted.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2018 11:28, GB wrote:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.

Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend, but I
can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile adhesive is
still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting a clean
surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

Unless someone has used the waterproof adhesive (generally people
don't), warm water often softens it very well - how much it will soften
the plasterboard is another matter, but you've got nothing to lose
trying it.

I removed large amounts of tile adhesive this way in our bathroom, but
that was on plastered brick rather than plasterboard.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Walker
writes
On 12/01/2018 11:28, GB wrote:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.
Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend,
but I can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile
adhesive is still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting
a clean surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

Unless someone has used the waterproof adhesive (generally people
don't), warm water often softens it very well - how much it will soften
the plasterboard is another matter, but you've got nothing to lose
trying it.

I removed large amounts of tile adhesive this way in our bathroom, but
that was on plastered brick rather than plasterboard.

Would a paper stripper steamer help?

SteveW

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2018 22:24, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Steve Walker
writes
On 12/01/2018 11:28, GB wrote:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.
Â*Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend,
but IÂ* can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile
adhesive isÂ* still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting
a cleanÂ* surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

Unless someone has used the waterproof adhesive (generally people
don't), warm water often softens it very well - how much it will
soften the plasterboard is another matter, but you've got nothing to
lose trying it.

I removed large amounts of tile adhesive this way in our bathroom, but
that was on plastered brick rather than plasterboard.

Would a paper stripper steamer help?

Probably, but I found just brushing hot water on to be highly effective.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2018 14:30, Brian Gaff wrote:
Very dust inducing though so wear a mask and have selective hearing when the
partner complains about dust being everywhere.....

The dust from a multi tool is far less IME than from a rotating tool -
it tends to just drop it straight down, rather than throw it about!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2018 11:28, GB wrote:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.

Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend, but I
can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile adhesive is
still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting a clean
surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

Either skim it, or fix another layer of PB over it!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 12/01/2018 14:30, Brian Gaff wrote:
Very dust inducing though so wear a mask and have selective hearing when the
partner complains about dust being everywhere.....

The dust from a multi tool is far less IME than from a rotating tool -
it tends to just drop it straight down, rather than throw it about!

Indeed.
It doesn't seem to have chance to gather enough energy to become
truly airborne in the same way as dust from say a disc or belt
sander.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 12 January 2018 21:04:04 UTC, Steve Walker wrote:
On 12/01/2018 11:28, GB wrote:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.

Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend, but I
can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile adhesive is
still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting a clean
surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

Unless someone has used the waterproof adhesive (generally people
don't), warm water often softens it very well - how much it will soften
the plasterboard is another matter,

it's _the_ matter.

but you've got nothing to lose
trying it.

no, other than a 100% waste of time & energy

I removed large amounts of tile adhesive this way in our bathroom, but
that was on plastered brick rather than plasterboard.

quite

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMH TMH is offline

On 12/01/2018 11:59, Martin Brown wrote:
On 12/01/2018 11:28, GB wrote:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.

Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend, but
I can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile
adhesive is still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting a
clean surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

I have found a sharp wide wood chisel of the sort intended for hitting
with a hammer useful against the most stubborn tile adhesive. But a lot
of it will come off with a wallpaper scraper if you are lucky.

Expect some collateral damage unless you have a very steady hand.

Expect a LOT of collateral damage.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 13 January 2018 14:03:25 UTC, Rob Morley wrote:
On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 09:49:04 +0000 (GMT+00:00)
jim k wrote:
tabbypurr Wrote in message:

PB can be disposed of in garden soil if wanted.

Shurely easier to take to the tip than start digging your own
landfill site...

I assumed "if wanted" implied a heavy clay soil which would be
improved by the addition of gypsum (and perhaps cellulose too).

why does some idiot want to start discussing which he thinks is 'shurely' easier for the OP when he has really no idea. Yes it has its uses in the garden, and which is better for the OP to do is totally not worth imagining & debating. What a twit.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim k wrote:
tabbypurr Wrote in message:

PB can be disposed of in garden soil if wanted.

Shurely easier to take to the tip than start digging your own
landfill site...

I assumed "if wanted" implied a heavy clay soil which would be
improved by the addition of gypsum (and perhaps cellulose too).

Don't be encouraged to gloss over the additional effort & time
spent doing it tho...

does he really want someone else to post an explanation of what's required to do this trivially simple job?

I wonder how many people have ever done it?

I did have a 3.5 tonne digger though

obviously there are other situations in which it's the preferable option too. Smoe people are just trolling twits and that's all there is to it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 14 January 2018 08:42:38 UTC, GB wrote:
On 13/01/2018 21:16, tabbypurr wrote:

I did have a 3.5 tonne digger though

obviously there are other situations in which it's the preferable option too. Smoe people are just trolling twits and that's all there is to it.

If I had a 3.5 tonne digger and a suitable plot to dig on, any excuse
would do. Burying plasterboard, why not?

For an ordinary town dweller, it's not that practical. We are on heavy
clay, so that digging more than a spade's depth is bloody hard work. If
I did have to dispose of plasterboard that way, I'd leave it to soften
up in the rain, then break it up and dig it into the top soil, which is
pretty much clay anyway. It's a lot less trouble to take it to the dump.

I'm not clear why you appear to think a hole must be dug to put it in. Maybe you've encountered less varied living situations than I have. Who knows.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 14 January 2018 11:22:13 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 14/01/18 10:46, jim wrote:
The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
jim k wrote:
tabbypurr Wrote in message:

PB can be disposed of in garden soil if wanted.

Shurely easier to take to the tip than start digging your own
landfill site...

I assumed "if wanted" implied a heavy clay soil which would be
improved by the addition of gypsum (and perhaps cellulose too).

Don't be encouraged to gloss over the additional effort & time
spent doing it tho...

I wonder how many people have ever done it?

I did have a 3.5 tonne digger though

I bet that made a mess of the flower beds :-)

Honestly farting about breaking up plasterboard and mixing it into
garden flower beds?

What sort of trolling weirdo would advocate that?

No idea.

I am just reporting that when I demolished my house, an awful lot of it
was used to raise the lower part of te garden by a foot or two,
plasterboard included.

Fruit trees seem to love it. Hardcore improved drainage, too.,

Maybe he thinks people never dig their gardens, so never have holes into which PB can be chucked. Who knows or cares. Just another excuse to be childish I'm sure.

NT

Some more lathe progress (some pictures and some without) Ignoramus26563 Metalworking 2 February 7th 10 01:01 AM
You can find some nice lingerie at Victoria Secret or even atFrederick's of Hollywood for that special honeymoon night. You may even finethat Sears and Macys has some great lingerie for your bridal accessoriespackage. You will also find some great on [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 April 19th 08 12:08 PM
EBay Hacked Again ufo Home Repair 0 February 23rd 07 04:40 AM
Ebay Hacked Again - Passwords - Credit Cards? ufo Woodworking 0 February 23rd 07 04:22 AM
Why are some power supplies rated in VA and some in Watts and some in amperes? meirman Electronics Repair 2 March 8th 05 02:48 PM