Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default USB good quality sockets on cables

Following on from comments in another thread here. Does anyone know of a
source of cables that not only has the usb socked protected, but has some
kind of shroud so connections do not go intermittent after a few months du
to being moved about, trod on or whatever. The normal usb seems quite
fragile to me. Thin metal springs and outers with little sprung fingers that
lose their spring or fall off.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes but being the hater of wireless keyboards, this is a wired one that can
anddoes go across the room. The point of intermittency is the standard usb
connector. It seems to me that this is poorly due to the fact that most
cables only have a metal outer and nothing to protect it at all so muck and
dust gets in and the physical connection is only held together by four
little sprung bits of the outer sheath. its total rubbish.

If they designed these like inline connectors should be they would have a
much longer shroud and hence less wobble factor after insertion.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 02 Jan 2018 08:58:02 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Following on from comments in another thread here. Does anyone know of a
source of cables that not only has the usb socked protected, but has
some kind of shroud so connections do not go intermittent after a few
months du to being moved about, trod on or whatever. The normal usb
seems quite fragile to me. Thin metal springs and outers with little
sprung fingers that lose their spring or fall off.
Brian

I suspect that USB connections - certainly micro-USB - have exceeded
their design life specs. Easy to hide if you have a new phone every 6-12
months. Much harder when you try to carry on using a 2-4 year old one.

All my computing equipment has USB hubs plugged in permanently, and I
plug the peripheral into *that*.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No good to me as we do not want hubs around the floor particularly.
Its just the following.
A ps2 keyboard, an adaptor for ps 2 keyboard and mouse powered down the
wire. the short cable on the adaptor goes into a lead that goes to the
computer. I actually get little trouble from the ps2 minidin but the usb is
always telling me its not making contact.

I'm sorely tempted to just get a ps2 extension and put the adaptor near the
puter, but that would then mean any mouse user who wants to use one would
need an extension as well since the tv is the monitor and not normally on of
course as I do not use it!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
Brian Gaff wrote

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 02 Jan 2018 08:58:02 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Following on from comments in another thread here. Does anyone know of
source of cables that not only has the usb socked protected, but has
some kind of shroud so connections do not go intermittent after a few
months du to being moved about, trod on or whatever. The normal usb
seems quite fragile to me. Thin metal springs and outers with little
sprung fingers that lose their spring or fall off.
Brian

I suspect that USB connections - certainly micro-USB - have exceeded
their design life specs. Easy to hide if you have a new phone every 6-12
months. Much harder when you try to carry on using a 2-4 year old one.

All my computing equipment has USB hubs plugged in permanently, and I
plug the peripheral into *that*.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

No good to me as we do not want hubs around the floor particularly.

They don’t have hubs and they can't end up on the floor.

There is just a tiny dongle that goes into a USB socket permanently.

Its just the following.
A ps2 keyboard, an adaptor for ps 2 keyboard and mouse powered down the
wire. the short cable on the adaptor goes into a lead that goes to the
computer.

With a wireless keyboard and mouse its just
a tiny dongle that goes in a USB socket.

I actually get little trouble from the ps2 minidin but the usb is always
telling me its not making contact.

Doesn’t happen with the wireless dongle.

I'm sorely tempted to just get a ps2 extension and put the adaptor near
the puter, but that would then mean any mouse user who wants to use one
would need an extension as well since the tv is the monitor and not
normally on of course as I do not use it!

And with a keyboard and mouse combo, the mouse can
be anywhere, all someone who wants to use it can just
turn it on using the small switch underneath the mouse.

Brian Gaff wrote