Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default USB good quality sockets on cables

Yes but being the hater of wireless keyboards, this is a wired one that can
anddoes go across the room. The point of intermittency is the standard usb
connector. It seems to me that this is poorly due to the fact that most
cables only have a metal outer and nothing to protect it at all so muck and
dust gets in and the physical connection is only held together by four
little sprung bits of the outer sheath. its total rubbish.

If they designed these like inline connectors should be they would have a
much longer shroud and hence less wobble factor after insertion.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 02 Jan 2018 08:58:02 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Following on from comments in another thread here. Does anyone know of a
source of cables that not only has the usb socked protected, but has
some kind of shroud so connections do not go intermittent after a few
months du to being moved about, trod on or whatever. The normal usb
seems quite fragile to me. Thin metal springs and outers with little
sprung fingers that lose their spring or fall off.
Brian

I suspect that USB connections - certainly micro-USB - have exceeded
their design life specs. Easy to hide if you have a new phone every 6-12
months. Much harder when you try to carry on using a 2-4 year old one.

All my computing equipment has USB hubs plugged in permanently, and I
plug the peripheral into *that*.