Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lowering bathroom ceiling

I have lowered my bathroom ceiling by about 80cm as it was a very strange shape being long, narrow and over 3M high.

This photo

https://www.dropbox.com/s/42b75ey1iy...hroom.jpg?dl=0

shows the window reveal where there's the new plasterboard ceiling which butts up against the the glass of the window.

Whilst lying in the bath looking up at it it occurred to me that it might look better if there were a strip of white plastic glued along the window where the plasterboard meets the glass - it'd make it look less obvious that the ceiling is part way up the window and more like it was meant to be like that as there'd be more of a "frame" effect for the glass.

I'm wondering what people think and what sort of plastic would be suitable - so far I have considered the lid of a length of mini trunking about 3cm wide
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:

I have lowered my bathroom ceiling
it might look better if there were a strip of white plastic glued
along the window where the plasterboard meets the glass

Some cloaking profile, or other PVC trim?
http://www.wickes.co.uk/c/1000269
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:

I have lowered my bathroom ceiling by about 80cm as it was a very strange
shape being long, narrow and over 3M high.

This photo

https://www.dropbox.com/s/42b75ey1iy...hroom.jpg?dl=0

shows the window reveal where there's the new plasterboard ceiling which
butts up against the the glass of the window.

Whilst lying in the bath looking up at it it occurred to me that it might
look better if there were a strip of white plastic glued along the window
where the plasterboard meets the glass - it'd make it look less obvious
that the ceiling is part way up the window and more like it was meant to
be like that as there'd be more of a "frame" effect for the glass.

I'm wondering what people think and what sort of plastic would be suitable
- so far I have considered the lid of a length of mini trunking about 3cm
wide

It is all a matter of aesthetics, and therefore personal opinion. In my
opinion, whatever you frame the divided window with it is going to look
horrible, and just wrong.

I would suggest either a new window, and close up the window aperture
above the ceiling with a box section matching the wall. Or stop the
false ceiling about a metre before the window and have a short stretch
of the original ceiling.

Both are a bit more expensive, the latter less so.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2018 21:49, Murmansk wrote:
I have lowered my bathroom ceiling by about 80cm as it was a very strange shape being long, narrow and over 3M high.

This photo

https://www.dropbox.com/s/42b75ey1iy...hroom.jpg?dl=0

shows the window reveal where there's the new plasterboard ceiling which butts up against the the glass of the window.

Whilst lying in the bath looking up at it it occurred to me that it might look better if there were a strip of white plastic glued along the window where the plasterboard meets the glass - it'd make it look less obvious that the ceiling is part way up the window and more like it was meant to be like that as there'd be more of a "frame" effect for the glass.

I'm wondering what people think and what sort of plastic would be suitable - so far I have considered the lid of a length of mini trunking about 3cm wide

Make it wide up to be shoved up the gap a bit, then you can fix it with
diagonal panel pins.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lowering a ceiling far enough to partly take in a bit of window would, to me
be just as annoying as the difference in shape in the old one though.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Murmansk" wrote in message
I have lowered my bathroom ceiling by about 80cm as it was a very strange
shape being long, narrow and over 3M high.

This photo

https://www.dropbox.com/s/42b75ey1iy...hroom.jpg?dl=0

shows the window reveal where there's the new plasterboard ceiling which
butts up against the the glass of the window.

Whilst lying in the bath looking up at it it occurred to me that it might
look better if there were a strip of white plastic glued along the window
where the plasterboard meets the glass - it'd make it look less obvious that
the ceiling is part way up the window and more like it was meant to be like
that as there'd be more of a "frame" effect for the glass.

I'm wondering what people think and what sort of plastic would be suitable -
so far I have considered the lid of a length of mini trunking about 3cm wide

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/18 21:49, Murmansk wrote:
I have lowered my bathroom ceiling by about 80cm as it was a very strange shape being long, narrow and over 3M high.

This photo

https://www.dropbox.com/s/42b75ey1iy...hroom.jpg?dl=0

shows the window reveal where there's the new plasterboard ceiling which butts up against the the glass of the window.

Stick the window blind mechanism across the top?

I don't see any obscure glass.... giving a nightly show to the neighbours?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I would have thought having the raw edge of the plasterboard coming up,to the window was a bad idea anyway providing a point for moisture to enter the PB.

Why not stop the ceiling before it enters the reveal putting a vertical piece of PB in until it reaches above the window height. This is common practice when converting/modernising Victorian buildings where ceilings are dropped, it provides a space to conceal curtain rails or hide away blinds.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the replies

The bit of plasterboard that is up against the glass is actually the neat sealed edge of the board so I hope it won't let moisture in.

The glass is frosted so nobody will be able to see me and stream live shows online!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/18 16:44, Murmansk wrote:
The glass is frosted so nobody will be able to see me and stream live shows online!

We can be thankful for small mercies...

"Saki"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 2 January 2018 16:44:17 UTC, Murmansk wrote:
Thanks for the replies

The bit of plasterboard that is up against the glass is actually the neat sealed edge of the board so I hope it won't let moisture in.

The glass is frosted so nobody will be able to see me and stream live shows online!

I'll admit to having doubts that any method of sealing is likely to make it impervious. How did you seal it?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'll admit to having doubts that any method of sealing is likely to make it impervious. How did you seal it?

NT

It's the rounded edge of the plasterboard that's covered with paper like the face of the board.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 2 January 2018 19:50:57 UTC, Murmansk wrote:
NT:

I'll admit to having doubts that any method of sealing is likely to make it impervious. How did you seal it?

It's the rounded edge of the plasterboard that's covered with paper like the face of the board.

then it's as far from sealed as you can get

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 3 January 2018 11:02:32 UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr writes:
On Tuesday, 2 January 2018 19:50:57 UTC, Murmansk wrote:
NT:

I'll admit to having doubts that any method of sealing is likely to make it impervious. How did you seal it?

It's the rounded edge of the plasterboard that's covered with paper like the face of the board.

then it's as far from sealed as you can get

Condensation on the window will result in a damp patch there.

This brings up another point - you need to be careful about preventing
condensation in the void above a lowered bathroom ceiling. If wrongly
designed, moisture may get trapped there. Depends where you put the
insulation, vapor barrier, ventilation, and what's above the room
(e.g. an attic, or another heated space).

Damp will disintegrate the PB.
I'd cut the PB further back so the window's not part blocked off

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've got a powerful fan up there which sucks moisture out of the bathroom below via two vents and sends it out through a hole in the top of the window - behind the new lowered ceiling - so I hope there'll be no condensation.

I have two access hatches in the ceiling so I can get to my fan and shower mixer, so I'll be able to keep an eye on what's going on up there.

Long narrow bathroom with high ceiling - possible lowering of ceiling Murmansk UK diy 5 April 8th 17 02:02 PM
Swimming Pool Chemistry - Lowering TA/pH [email protected] Home Repair 9 May 11th 05 11:45 AM
Lowering the thermostat during the day [email protected] Home Repair 26 January 19th 05 12:18 PM
Drive & Lowering Road Curb z7 UK diy 22 October 23rd 04 01:42 PM
lowering kerb none UK diy 5 February 23rd 04 09:20 AM