Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Long narrow bathroom with high ceiling - possible lowering of ceiling

I've got a flat in an old Victorian building and the bathroom's proportions are troubling me. It's got a ceiling that's 3 metres high and the room is not much more than the width of a bath plus a wash basin. The length of the room is about that of a bath plus a metre.

It has two big windows down one of the long sides and although nice and light it feels very cold and far too high for its size. I'm considering lowering the ceiling.

I did this in my previous place but more for the purposes of putting in some recessed lights and covering the fact that it used to be two rooms, I only lost about six inches of room height in that case. It was done with a wooden framework and plasterboard which I had skimmed.

In the latest case, I need to lose more like 600mm of height and I'm wondering if I should just do the same thing or does anyone have any other ideas?

One issue is that the two large windows go up quite high and I'd need to have some kind of sloped arrangement where my new ceiling meets the window reveals (and the walls are 22 inches thick!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 7 April 2017 20:11:20 UTC+1, Murmansk wrote:
I've got a flat in an old Victorian building and the bathroom's proportions are troubling me. It's got a ceiling that's 3 metres high and the room is not much more than the width of a bath plus a wash basin. The length of the room is about that of a bath plus a metre.

It has two big windows down one of the long sides and although nice and light it feels very cold and far too high for its size. I'm considering lowering the ceiling.

I did this in my previous place but more for the purposes of putting in some recessed lights and covering the fact that it used to be two rooms, I only lost about six inches of room height in that case. It was done with a wooden framework and plasterboard which I had skimmed.

In the latest case, I need to lose more like 600mm of height and I'm wondering if I should just do the same thing or does anyone have any other ideas?

afaik it's either wood or metal frame

One issue is that the two large windows go up quite high and I'd need to have some kind of sloped arrangement where my new ceiling meets the window reveals (and the walls are 22 inches thick!)

gonna look crap.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 12:11:18 -0700 (PDT), Murmansk
wrote:

I did this in my previous place but more for the purposes of putting in some recessed lights and covering the fact that it used to be two rooms, I only lost about six inches of room height in that case. It was done with a wooden framework and plasterboard which I had skimmed.

In the latest case, I need to lose more like 600mm of height and I'm wondering if I should just do the same thing or does anyone have any other ideas?

One issue is that the two large windows go up quite high and I'd need to have some kind of sloped arrangement where my new ceiling meets the window reveals (and the walls are 22 inches thick!)

Seems a shame to waste what could be storage space which in flats is
normally at a premium. Could you do some mezzanine like arrangement
leaving access at one end. Fix some rungs or a small wooden ladder
onto the wall for access which could double up as towel hangers.
Using reasonable quality storage boxes like the Really Useful range
you would have quite a few litres of storage.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2017 20:11, Murmansk wrote:
[...]

I've just done a suspended ceiling and found it extremely easy, much to
my surprise.

You can do sloping bits for windows.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 7 April 2017 20:11:20 UTC+1, Murmansk wrote:
One issue is that the two large windows go up quite high and I'd need
to have some kind of sloped arrangement where my new ceiling meets
the window reveals (and the walls are 22 inches thick!)

You might only have to go up or down to where there is an existing horizontal division in the window (sash windows?)

If you are going to have an inset into the ceiling to go up to full window height consider fitting rope operators to the upper sash to make opening it easier.

https://www.mightonproducts.com/camb...akins-fastener

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Fit a couple of clothes drying frames which hoist up into the void with
ropes. Like this...

http://www.usethings.com.au/wp-conte...1/DR-store.jpg

Cheers
--