Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lighting for high ceiling kitchen

My mother who has macular degeneration desperately needs some better
lighting in her tenement flat kitchen.

At present she has some manly old spotlights with an assortment of CFL
bulbs instead of the intended 60W reflectors so as you can imagine it's a
bit crap.

I was thinking of replacing them all with something like this, a six spot
LED track.

http://www.beamled.com/six-light-12w...light-kit.html

Given that the ceiling is 3.2 metres high, would the lighting be improved?

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 11/06/2016 15:52, Tim+ wrote:
My mother who has macular degeneration desperately needs some better
lighting in her tenement flat kitchen.

At present she has some manly old spotlights with an assortment of CFL
bulbs instead of the intended 60W reflectors so as you can imagine it's a
bit crap.

I was thinking of replacing them all with something like this, a six spot
LED track.

http://www.beamled.com/six-light-12w...light-kit.html

Given that the ceiling is 3.2 metres high, would the lighting be improved?

Tim

My wife wanted bright kitchen and shower room. I went for 6 inch LED
cool white panels (12 watts each), I think too bright for kitchen but
she loves them. They fit flush with ceiling.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Tim+ Wrote in message:
My mother who has macular degeneration desperately needs some better
lighting in her tenement flat kitchen.

At present she has some manly old spotlights with an assortment of CFL
bulbs instead of the intended 60W reflectors so as you can imagine it's a
bit crap.

I was thinking of replacing them all with something like this, a six spot
LED track.

http://www.beamled.com/six-light-12w...light-kit.html

Given that the ceiling is 3.2 metres high, would the lighting be improved?

Tim

A relative has suffered with md for many years & I've assisted
with assorted lighting improvements along the way.

I don't know but doubt the disease isalways the same for everyone
but the requirement here was for pretty intense illumination of
target /work areas.

I don't think an LED bar on the ceiling would cut it here, never
mind at 3.2m?
Maybe some old school pendant shade lamps on long cords from the
ceiling? Or low, wall mounted spots that can be aimed as
required?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim k wrote:
Tim+ Wrote in message:
[...]

I think pendant lights in a kitchen will get pretty yucky. So will spots of
course but at that height, it'll take longer to notice. ;-)

The light intensity on the work surfaces does concern me though with such a
high ceiling. Wouldn't 6x12W with a 24degree spread do the job?

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/11/2016 11:22 AM, Tim+ wrote:

The light intensity on the work surfaces does concern me though with such a
high ceiling. Wouldn't 6x12W with a 24degree spread do the job?

I use ceiling lights for general room lighting, and under-cabinet lights
for work surfaces. LED strip lights work well for work surface illumination.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Tim+
escribió:

Given that the ceiling is 3.2 metres high, would the lighting be improved?

Suggestion: rather than ceiling-mounting, how about one or more of those
tension wire efforts where two horizontal wires are run from wall to
wall with lights clipped to them, fed from a LV transformer?

The transformer could go up on the ceiling. This arrangement allows you
to position the lamps precisely where the light is needed and is
flexible and at a lower, more convenient height.

https://www.lightingstyles.co.uk/tra.../tension-wire-
track-lighting

Used to be all the rage but I don't seem to see it so much nowadays.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Tim+ Wrote in message:
jim k wrote:
Tim+ Wrote in message:
[...]

With?

So will spots of
course but at that height, it'll take longer to notice. ;-)

;-) istr lots of things are a bit yucky when I visit... Sadly
sufferers obviously don't notice.

The light intensity on the work surfaces does concern me though with such a
high ceiling. Wouldn't 6x12W with a 24degree spread do the job?

Pass. It's going to depend on how far the disease has progressed I
suppose, but requirements will increase ime.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2016 16:16, jim wrote:

I don't think an LED bar on the ceiling would cut it here, never
mind at 3.2m?

12W LED spot lights mounted higher are likely to give a much better
spread of light

I have 9ft ceilings and have a single daylight 24W led fitting on a
small kitchen ceiling. It provides more than adequate illumination -
with one minor drawback. There are 'mild' shadows under the cabinets.

Perhaps a compromise solution of a more simple/cheaper main illumination
and better illumination directly for the work surfaces.

A work colleague has recently replaced some fluorescent tubes under
cabinet lights with these

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...ngs/index.html

and recommends them - he says they are 2 times brighter than the tubes
they replaced.

I actually prefer the cool/daylight illumination. Possibly because I'm
getting old and the cool light seems to give a much better contrast when
reading or working. Cool white does show the dirt more in a kitchen and
embarrasses one into more cleaning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Mike Tomlinson Wrote in message:
En el artículo , Tim+
escribió:

Given that the ceiling is 3.2 metres high, would the lighting be improved?

Suggestion: rather than ceiling-mounting, how about one or more of those
tension wire efforts where two horizontal wires are run from wall to
wall with lights clipped to them, fed from a LV transformer?

The transformer could go up on the ceiling. This arrangement allows you
to position the lamps precisely where the light is needed and is
flexible and at a lower, more convenient height.

https://www.lightingstyles.co.uk/tra.../tension-wire-
track-lighting

Used to be all the rage but I don't seem to see it so much nowadays.

That could work, ime "task " lighting is what's needed rather than
"background glow"...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , Tim+
escribió:

Given that the ceiling is 3.2 metres high, would the lighting be improved?

Suggestion: rather than ceiling-mounting, how about one or more of those
tension wire efforts where two horizontal wires are run from wall to
wall with lights clipped to them, fed from a LV transformer?

The transformer could go up on the ceiling. This arrangement allows you
to position the lamps precisely where the light is needed and is
flexible and at a lower, more convenient height.

https://www.lightingstyles.co.uk/tra.../tension-wire-
track-lighting

Used to be all the rage but I don't seem to see it so much nowadays.

Did consider it but whilst they have their merits, I think they would be a
bit naff in a kitchen, well this one anyway. ;-)

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The problem with Macular patients is that their detailed central vision has
gone. Often they can be trained in what they call eccentric vision, where
they forcible attempt to use the peripheral areas instead. What they need is
contrast so the aperture can stop down on the more detailed things they need
to view. Most tend to use targeted or task lighting. Ie lights under
cupboards that direct the light on the work area, but have baffles to stop
the direct light getting to the eye and causing dazzle effects. The best
people to ask about this are low vision clinics at the hospitals. They
might be able to give you a colour temperature to aim for to give best
results without fatigue.
CFLs are pretty useless spectrum wise but some of the true white ones are a
lot better. People often complain about the CFL standard bulbs as making
things look grainy faint.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Tim+" wrote in message
My mother who has macular degeneration desperately needs some better
lighting in her tenement flat kitchen.

At present she has some manly old spotlights with an assortment of CFL
bulbs instead of the intended 60W reflectors so as you can imagine it's a
bit crap.

I was thinking of replacing them all with something like this, a six spot
LED track.

http://www.beamled.com/six-light-12w...light-kit.html

Given that the ceiling is 3.2 metres high, would the lighting be improved?

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
My mother who has macular degeneration desperately needs some better
lighting in her tenement flat kitchen.

At present she has some manly old spotlights with an assortment of CFL
bulbs instead of the intended 60W reflectors so as you can imagine it's a
bit crap.

I was thinking of replacing them all with something like this, a six spot
LED track.

http://www.beamled.com/six-light-12w...light-kit.html

Given that the ceiling is 3.2 metres high, would the lighting be
improved?

The best lighting in terms of being practical for seeing things is soft
light. In other words, the light source is as large and even as possible.
Think a bright overcast day.

Spotlights may look pretty and produce nice looking 'pools' of light. But
that isn't the same as giving decent working light. Unless lots of them
are bounced off say a white wall. To give that large even light area.

--
*Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Does that still apply in this case?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
[...]

I have to agree with SS who earlier in the post nominated flat panel
lights.

I used them for the opposite reason, a low ceiling where the
conventional pendant was a bloody nuicance, specially in the bathroom
where clothing removal or armpit scrubbing could involve whacking the
globe light around.

The flat panels came from Ebay, these were simple to fit involving
little more than a Stanley knife and some paint & filler for the odd
error.

I seem to recollect they were 18W and 24W.

The bathroom light was so effective, that I went on to do most of the
house with them, even to the point of using two 48W panels in a high
ceilinged corridor.

The 48W panels did need a bit of DIY work as they are designed to be
used as office downlights, but the light output is impressive in a
domestic environment and allowed a certain freedom in decor as it was
possible to use a darker theme without the corridor being the
slightest bit gloomy [Internal corridor with no external light
source].

Anyway the flat lights were simple to fit, very effective and easy to
add to in areas needing more intense lighting.

The only thing I was a little concerned about was the plastic cased
supply units. They had CE markings suggesting some kind of approval,
but in areas where they were mounted close to wood supports, I placed
the power units inside MK metal clad boxes [double with cover plates]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp" wrote
in message ...

Tim+ wrote:
[...]

How have they gone reliability wise and which supplier did you use ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 05:23:04 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

How have they gone reliability wise and which supplier did you use ?

This was the second order. I have fitted ten of these and two 18W
lights

The other two 48W lights came from an Ebay vendor based in Salford
City Center they were collect only and I didn't keep the receipts as
they were for personal use.

I have not had a failiure at all. Where I have fitted two in close
proximity the light and colour balance is identical. I would assume
that any problems relating to long term reliability would maybe
manifest themselves in their current consumption and hence the light
quality would suffer before failiure.

None have been installed for more than twelve months, so if the worst
happens you will probably find a post from me asking for the best
means of filling square holes in plasterboard :-)

It is nit picking but my only comments on the 18 and 24W units are
that the securing clips are slightly awkward to fit.

Also as I stated I wasn't keen on mounting the power supplies in an
area where there were flammables.

ORDER DATE

ORDER TOTAL
£77.50
Free P&P
Order LED Recessed Flush Mounted Ceiling Slim Panel DownLight Round
Square Top Quality
View order details - ORDER DATE 19 Apr, 2016
Contact seller - ORDER DATE 19 Apr, 2016
More actions - ORDER DATE 19 Apr, 2016
1 item sold by gwsled
LED Recessed Flush Mounted Ceiling Slim Panel DownLight Round Square
Top Quality
LED Recessed Flush Mounted Ceiling Slim Panel DownLight Round Square
Top Quality
( 111782066218 )

DIMMABLE: NO

SHAPE: SQUARE