Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Bennet Andy Bennet is offline

Default Lowering bathroom ceiling

On 01/01/2018 22:41, Roger Hayter wrote:
Murmansk wrote:

I have lowered my bathroom ceiling by about 80cm as it was a very strange
shape being long, narrow and over 3M high.

This photo

https://www.dropbox.com/s/42b75ey1iy...hroom.jpg?dl=0

shows the window reveal where there's the new plasterboard ceiling which
butts up against the the glass of the window.

Whilst lying in the bath looking up at it it occurred to me that it might
look better if there were a strip of white plastic glued along the window
where the plasterboard meets the glass - it'd make it look less obvious
that the ceiling is part way up the window and more like it was meant to
be like that as there'd be more of a "frame" effect for the glass.

I'm wondering what people think and what sort of plastic would be suitable
- so far I have considered the lid of a length of mini trunking about 3cm
wide

It is all a matter of aesthetics, and therefore personal opinion. In my
opinion, whatever you frame the divided window with it is going to look
horrible, and just wrong.

I would suggest either a new window, and close up the window aperture
above the ceiling with a box section matching the wall. Or stop the
false ceiling about a metre before the window and have a short stretch
of the original ceiling.

Both are a bit more expensive, the latter less so.

+1