Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TT Earth Electrode indoors?

On Wednesday, 27 December 2017 14:48:40 UTC, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 21:24:19 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:
Alan wrote:

No, it'd be no good, as it would blow fast enough to stop any
lightening

WOULDNT Doh.

Since we're doing corrections, can we correct 'lightning' without an e
please?

I was hoping *someone* was going to pick that up. :-)

me too, now I feel lightened at lightning speed.

And no fuse is ever going to stop lightning! But it can stop lightening.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/12/2017 12:20, George Miles wrote:
Is there any reason not to have an earth rod indoors?
TT system.

I've got 2 earth rods outdoors,
can I keep them and add a third indoors so there's less resistance?

In case its any use, here is some guidance from the IET themselves on
installing and testing multiple electrodes:

http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-...m.cfm?type=pdf

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Iggy caedfaa9ed1216d60ef78
scribeth thus
replying to John Rumm, Iggy wrote:
1 - I didn't go off on any tangent. You seem to think Earthing is only ever a
1-way road and here you are telling people that I'm talking gibberish by
saying some appliances are Earthed, just to then confirm and tell me they're
Earthed...I know, I said it. You saying it to tell me I'm wrong is absurd.
That's how and why they get fried in a flawed Earthing setup.

2 - Like I said, if you aren't adding a 2nd rod and connection you aren't
supplying an inlet and are only supplying an outlet. However, by breaching the
building's natural insulation from what's going on outside, you now draw and
bring the outside in to create instead of avoid the hazard.

3 - Yes, adding another connection to the wiring system will effect everything
attached to it, because you're providing an in and out loop for the energy to
travel. Plumbing isn't providing any electrical source and is Earthed by
itself being in the Earth. Again, no inlet provided and only an outlet.

4 - Yes, this is what he has, in parallel or ONLY connected to each other with
just 1-connection. This, is extremely different than having multiple
connections to multiple rods...a proven disaster.

5 - Sorry, I misunderstood.

6 - Not where I'm from. Never ever should an electrical wiring system or
structure protection system be connected to a lightning protection system.
They are to be separate and even distanced from each other to avoid sharing
lightning's charge. I saw nothing to the contrary in your document, they make
it very clear that the lightning system shall have its own separated and
dedicated Earthing rods.

7 - See - 5.6.1 - What is protective multiple earthing? at
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/5.6.1.htm this very clearly restricts the
use to the Utility Supplier and the last 2 sentences lock it out of public use.

8 - I've said my piece, you may have the last word.

You are w-tom AICMFP:!....

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/2017 05:14, Iggy wrote:
replying to George Miles, Iggy wrote:
Yes, you bring unregulated and unwanted electricity into the building
and you
may SEVERELY worsen your earthing. Close lightning strikes energize the
earth
and would energize your earth rod. Poor earthing conditions are dry
soil, so
being under the building's footprint could mean little to no earthing
actually
happens. The 3rd rod should NOT be a replacement of the existing 2 and MUST
only be added to the existing 2 by a jumper conductor...ONLY IF
determined to
be needed or beneficial.

This addition or by driving your existing rods deeper, is the ONLY way to
reduce your resistance. But, what is your current resistance? If you're
already at very low resistance, then you likely can't make it any better
because you're down to the conductor's own resistance. Don't do anything
unless and until you know what your resistance is. More rods IS NOT
better and
WILL only extend your reach to pick up static electricity, fallen
power-line
or lightning energy...a deeper single rod is factually best.

More BS from homehelpclub.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/2017 23:44, Iggy wrote:
replying to George Miles, Iggy wrote:
I'm talking ********

There, fixed that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2017 15:52, Graham. wrote:
On Mon, 25 Dec 2017 13:56:37 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
coalesced the vapors of human experience into a
viable and meaningful comprehension...

On Mon, 25 Dec 2017 07:22:36 -0600, Alan wrote:

What is your earth rod resistance now?
Adding an extra rod is not guaranteed to lower the total resistance.
If you are currently getting 10 ohms than adding another rod will not
really help, however if you have 150ohms or so, then an extra, or deeper
rod may well help.

Should really be earth loop *impedance* tested at 50Hz.

True, but I doubt the inductive and capacitive reactance components
are too significant. I'm willing to learn though.

AC is preferred for earth electrode testing since it avoids any
electrolytic effects on the electrode when using DC. (you can test with
DC, but its good to take a few readings reversing the polarity for each
test.

--
Cheers,

John.

Do I need an earth electrode? asalcedo UK diy 21 July 5th 13 01:18 PM
TT Earth electrode googlebot UK diy 9 July 20th 05 01:57 PM
carbon welding electrode EDR test - uh oh Grant Erwin Metalworking 5 July 4th 05 10:01 PM
Earth electrode and power electrode wire area? Old Nick Metalworking 6 January 18th 05 10:08 PM
Ground Electrode & Foundation Replacement (US) Wayne Whitney Home Repair 3 January 16th 04 12:51 AM