Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Have radiator threads changed size?

Hi All,

We are coming to the end of having the builders in (I dont plan to ever do it again!).

The latest is, we asked him to have the plumber fit thermostic valves to some of our existing radiators.....

Plumber said it cant be done, as our rads are 3/4€ whereas the valves are 1/2€.

Is he right? Or is it just a question of unscrewing the tail from the rad and screwing in one to take the half inch valve?

TIA

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks everyone!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/2017 20:13, newshound wrote:
On 21/12/2017 22:24, Roger Mills wrote:
On 21/12/2017 15:59, wrote:
Hi All,

We are coming to the end of having the builders in (I dont plan to
ever do it again!).

The latest is, we asked him to have the plumber fit thermostic valves
to some of our existing radiators.....

Plumber said it cant be done, as our rads are 3/4€ whereas the
valves are 1/2€.

Is he right? Or is it just a question of unscrewing the tail from the
rad and screwing in one to take the half inch valve?

TIA

Chris

Sack the plumber! Of course it can be done.

If the ports in the radiator are *truly* 3/4"BSP, you can get bushes
which screw into those, with a 1/2" BSP thread on the inside into
which you can screw a standard radiator tail.

But the bloke sounds so clueless that I wonder whether they *are*
3/4"BSP - bearing in mind that the thread on a 1/2" BSP fitting is
approx. 3/4" in diameter. It's very unusual these days to find
radiators with anything other than 1/2" BSP threads.

+1 about sacking the plumber.

But there are two different thread pitches of very similar diameter
found on the "copper" side of radiator valves, which can be confusing.

I've certainly found different thread pitches used on compression joints
for connecting radiator valves to the external pipework - which I think
is waht you are referring to. But never on the tails themselves - they
are always 1/2" BSP.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If a plumber does't have it in the van it can't be done!