Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Have radiator threads changed size?

On 21/12/2017 15:59, wrote:
Hi All,

We are coming to the end of having the builders in (I dont plan to ever do it again!).

The latest is, we asked him to have the plumber fit thermostic valves to some of our existing radiators.....

Plumber said it cant be done, as our rads are 3/4 whereas the valves are 1/2.

Is he right? Or is it just a question of unscrewing the tail from the rad and screwing in one to take the half inch valve?

The fitting in the rad for the tails is the same, even if many modern
TRVs use a stub of 15mm pipe that goes in the rad socket, and the valve
makes a compression fitting onto it rather than the traditional cone joint.

However, as you rightly suggest, there is nothing stopping you removing
the tail from the rad an using the one that comes with the TRV.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |