Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Broadband problems

On 13/12/2017 18:26, Grumps wrote:
On 13/12/2017 17:13, Brian Gaff wrote:
Water in the cable damage somewhere, almost anything. I'm assuming its
jolly old copper rubbish from bt. Brian

Thanks all for your suggestions.
It's too difficult replying to all as the line is up and down like a ...

The ISP is Sky.
It's one of their fibre products, with copper to the house.
The line test says that there is a little echo but no noise.
The cables are all underground so no trees rubbing etc.
Could be water in the cable, who knows.
There are no local wacky Xmas lights.
I have a man coming round on Sunday. Likely he'll have no clue, but I'll
keep you posted.

Just if anyone is interested...
The Sky/OpenReach engineer did NOT turn up, so none the wiser about the
"non specific" fault they detected.
But the problem turned out to be a laptop with a new install of OneDrive
which was hogging the router during its initial sync.
Has been sorted by setting max upload/download limits within OneDrive
settings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Grumps wrote:
[...]

Sky and Openreach are different companies.

You'd normally make very sure the fault wasn't internal to your house
before passing it on to those who look after the bits outside your house.
As you can't expect them to be able to fix such a fault.

--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Grumps wrote:
[...]

Yes, I know.

You'd normally make very sure the fault wasn't internal to your house
before passing it on to those who look after the bits outside your house.
As you can't expect them to be able to fix such a fault.

Well, they said that they found a non-specific fault (outside of my
home), so the ball was in their court so to speak.
And if their supplied router can be overwhelmed by a single WiFi device,
then they should expect calls like mine.

I only reported back to let others know of a potential problem with
OneDrive's settings.

Broadband problems News UK diy 7 November 14th 15 09:29 PM
Broadband Plusnet v Broadband mark UK diy 36 September 23rd 15 09:19 AM
Bt Broadband timeout problems [email protected] UK diy 6 January 25th 06 09:31 PM
for those of U on ntl broadband tony sayer UK diy 31 March 11th 05 10:00 PM
Swinehund caught via Broadband Gel UK diy 8 February 18th 05 09:25 AM