Gel

Default Swinehund caught via Broadband

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/c...re/4272041.stm

Al Reynolds

"Gel" wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/c...re/4272041.stm

It's an interesting one. I thought there was an issue
over digital evidence which made this sort of thing
less useful. Of course the burglar won't know that,
so he'll probably plead guilty to get a more lenient
sentence...

Al

Al Reynolds wrote:
"Gel" wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/c...re/4272041.stm

It's an interesting one. I thought there was an issue
over digital evidence which made this sort of thing
less useful. Of course the burglar won't know that,
so he'll probably plead guilty to get a more lenient
sentence...

Sounds like he admitted it after seeing the images. Then it's a
confession & the images shouldn't be needed or be admissable in court.

Cheers,

Paul.

Christian McArdle

It's an interesting one. I thought there was an issue
over digital evidence which made this sort of thing
less useful. Of course the burglar won't know that,
so he'll probably plead guilty to get a more lenient
sentence...

No. The courts will consider digital evidence on its merits, taking into
account any chances of forgery or other error, just like any form of
evidence.

Christian.

Andy Hall

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:27:00 -0000, "Al Reynolds"
wrote:

"Gel" wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/c...re/4272041.stm

It's an interesting one. I thought there was an issue
over digital evidence which made this sort of thing
less useful. Of course the burglar won't know that,
so he'll probably plead guilty to get a more lenient
sentence...

Al

There was a case some while ago in which video footage recorded and
compressed using MPEG was dismissed as evidence as the result of
slippery footwork by the defence.

The issue is that MPEG has temporal as well as spatial compression
(i.e. not every single frame is there in full). So, the argument
went, how could the video be relied upon if some frames could be
missing. Unfortunately the stupid judge bought into it.

Surveillance is typically done with Motion JPEG and other spatial
codecs to avoid this issue.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Mike

"Gel" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/c...re/4272041.stm

Shows how out of tune the courts are though - 11 'months; jail.
He should have been at least flogged and castrated and hung on a third
offence.

Mike wrote:
"Gel" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/c...re/4272041.stm

Shows how out of tune the courts are though - 11 'months; jail.
He should have been at least flogged and castrated and hung on a

third
offence.

I agree to some extent. Prison cost is a problem. Criminals should pay
us instead of us paying for their imprisonment: I suggest a sentence of
time-limited slavery. Far more practical.

NT

nightjar

wrote in message
oups.com...

I agree to some extent. Prison cost is a problem. Criminals should pay
us instead of us paying for their imprisonment: I suggest a sentence of
time-limited slavery. Far more practical.

That is exactly how slavery had functioned in Africa before the Portugese
arrived - a short-term sentence for criminals.

Colin Bignell

Aidan

Is it an effect of the camera & poor lighting, or can Mr. Park really
be such an ugly evil-looking scote as he appears? He looks like a stray
extra from 'Lord of the Rings',e.g., Gollum's brother, a partially
made-up Orc or something similar. He appears to be suffering the
hair-loss typical of many 50-year olds. Is this an affect of some
habit?