Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default how smart? ....

My boiler lost flame due to low pressure from the gas meter regulator
even though the gas fire and cooker seemed OK...do smart meters give you
any indication when pressure is low due to regulator failure? .....
--
I yam what I yam ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are you sure the regulator/governor is at fault? High usage rates by everyone local in cold spells have been known to cause low pressure in the underground mains. It shouldn't but occasionally manifests if the mains are old/damaged/undergoing modifications etc. Alternatively there could be a pipe problem in your property. The gas fire and cooker would (should?) Show flame variation if the pressure from the governor drops when the boiler kicks in.
If you have to ask in here I'd suggest you may need to get professional help by someone with a manometer and understanding of the engineering involved..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2017 12:45, Cynic wrote:
Are you sure the regulator/governor is at fault? High usage rates by everyone local in cold spells have been known to cause low pressure in the underground mains. It shouldn't but occasionally manifests if the mains are old/damaged/undergoing modifications etc. Alternatively there could be a pipe problem in your property. The gas fire and cooker would (should?) Show flame variation if the pressure from the governor drops when the boiler kicks in.
If you have to ask in here I'd suggest you may need to get professional help by someone with a manometer and understanding of the engineering involved.

that is me then......just has scottish gas out they replaced the faulty
regulator dated 1989...the guy said they "break inside due to weather
age etc"...all fine now combie getting flame .....so any idea if a smart
meter would have told me without getting the manometer out .....?

--
I yam what I yam ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." writes:
[...]

I'm not aware of any gas meters measuring pressure, although of course
they should, for same reason electricity meters measure voltage and
current, and not just current.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

I don't believe that smart meters would have this capability. It is all
about sending out billing information and possibility the ability of the
gas co to cut you off remotely when they want to (certainly is on LX
smart meters)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/19/2017 2:08 PM, Bob Minchin wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

not very smart then ....

--
OFCOM know exactly what the hobby is worth..£00.00
Once you see the RSGB logo you know you're blackballed....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

I've never seen any suggestion of using the smart features the
meters provide, e.g. a reverse auction to find the cheapest
supplier to heat your water cylinder tomorrow morning, or to
say you need to run your washing machine in next 48 hours, and
to get bids from suppliers for cheapest at a time they specify
within your window, or to be able to bid your baseload out and
switch suppliers according to their prices at different times
of the day.

We're rolling out the meters without putting the consumers in
control, which was the whole idea originally, so there's nothing
in it for the consumers currently.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/19/2017 5:23 PM, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

oh well ...to be avoided then ...

--
Sometimes I pretend to be normal then I get bored and go back to being
me ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd very much doubt it, not in their design brief.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
My boiler lost flame due to low pressure from the gas meter regulator even
though the gas fire and cooker seemed OK...do smart meters give you any
indication when pressure is low due to regulator failure? .....
--
I yam what I yam ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

I'm expecting the suppliers to go for *economy 7* type tariffs once
enough consumers have smart meters. Apart from the saving on meter
reading, I don't see what other benefit the government of the day was
expecting.

We're rolling out the meters without putting the consumers in
control, which was the whole idea originally, so there's nothing
in it for the consumers currently.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2017 18:40, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,

I'm expecting the suppliers to go for *economy 7* type tariffs once
enough consumers have smart meters. Apart from the saving on meter
reading, I don't see what other benefit the government of the day was
expecting.

They were probably dumb enough to swallow the line about it cutting
electricity demand enough that they could not worry about needing to
build more power stations ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

That would be "Economy 7" as in bump up the rates in the morning (when
most people are cooking lunch) and say, "Why not change to have your
main meal in the evening?"

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

I don't think putting consumers in control was ever the "whole idea",
although it may have been the central idea of the dishonest campaign to
sell them to us. The objective was always more control over the
consumer, in terms of billing and disconnection. Sadly, our rulers
generally plan their activities nowadays on the premise that we are mugs
who can be exploited and manipulated.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
news
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

No it wasn't. That might have been the spruik,
but it wasn't the whole ideal originally.

so there's nothing in it for the consumers currently.

They don't have to read the meters or let someone in to read the meter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

Nope, saves farting around reading them or having
someone show up periodically to read them.

I do change supplier whenever its to my advantage to do that and
it would be more convenient if they could read the meter remotely
and be able to change supplier in minutes. Currently they either wait
till the meter will be read on the 3 month cycle or send someone out
to do a special read and clearly someone has to pay for that last even
if I dont get billed for the special read.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

Correct.

The objective was always more control over the
consumer, in terms of billing and disconnection.

Bull****. It was just a much better way to read meters.

Most don’t even do disconnection.

Sadly, our rulers generally plan their activities
nowadays on the premise that we are mugs
who can be exploited and manipulated.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that’s saying something.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

If the purpose was to save money on meter readers it could have been
left to a consortium of suppliers, who would only have done it if it
would save them money. The only Government involvement would be to
insist that all suppliers use the same system so people could change
easily. Instead (in the UK) it was mandated by the Government, to be
paid for by the suppliers (meaning the users as that is the suppliers'
only source of money), with the entirely spurious claim that it would
enable users to save money by knowing how much electricity they were using.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

But it makes more sense for the govt to at least specify an interface
standard so you can change suppliers without changing the meter.

Corse you lot stuffed that up completely too.

The only Government involvement would be to insist that all suppliers use
the same system so people could change easily.

Makes more sense for the govt to get involved in the specs of the meter.

Instead (in the UK) it was mandated by the Government,

Thats the way it should have been done.

to be paid for by the suppliers

Ditto. No reason why anyone else should be paying for that.

(meaning the users as that is the suppliers' only source of money),

No reason why anyone else should be paying for that.

with the entirely spurious claim that it would enable users to save money
by knowing how much electricity they were using.

Sure, but that just the sales spiel, because so many of you lot are
so stupid that you just refuse to allow your meter to be changed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Max
Demian writes
On 19/12/2017 18:40, Tim Lamb wrote:
I've never seen any suggestion of using the smart features the
meters provide, e.g. a reverse auction to find the cheapest
supplier to heat your water cylinder tomorrow morning, or to
say you need to run your washing machine in next 48 hours, and
to get bids from suppliers for cheapest at a time they specify
within your window, or to be able to bid your baseload out and
switch suppliers according to their prices at different times
of the day.

I'm expecting the suppliers to go for *economy 7* type tariffs once
enough consumers have smart meters.

That would be "Economy 7" as in bump up the rates in the morning (when
most people are cooking lunch) and say, "Why not change to have your
main meal in the evening?"

Or a general price increase sold on the basis that consumers can shift
to cheaper rates at less convenient times.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 19 December 2017 14:05:50 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

It's all about the intermittancy of renewable energy.
When the wind don't blow, gas will be needed to generate electricity

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 20 December 2017 09:17:02 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Max
Demian writes
[...]

Price increase is inevitable. Suppliers want/need the same money coming in, so if there's an opportunity to use reduced rate the general rate must increase. It's not as if the end user has any credible prospect of saving any money.

Demand management has a place in principle, but to be worth doing it would need to be a lot better managed than is likely to be the case today or any time in the next few years.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

And for that, my washing machine is a good example. I need it to
run anytime in next 48 hours - have it start when it looks like
it will be most windy, which should also be cheapest cost to me.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2017 00:19, Rod Speed wrote:
"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...

If the purpose was to save money on meter readers it could have been
left to a consortium of suppliers, who would only have done it if it
would save them money.

But it makes more sense for the govt to at least specify an interface
standard so you can change suppliers without changing the meter.

Corse you lot stuffed that up completely too.

The only Government involvement would be to insist that all suppliers
use the same system so people could change easily.

Makes more sense for the govt to get involved in the specs of the meter.

Instead (in the UK) it was mandated by the Government,

Thats the way it should have been done.

Excessive Government involvement means they can charge (someone).

to be paid for by the suppliers

Ditto. No reason why anyone else should be paying for that.

(meaning the users as that is the suppliers' only source of money),

No reason why anyone else should be paying for that.

There would be no money to be paid by anyone if it was done just to save
paying meter readers.

with the entirely spurious claim that it would enable users to save
money by knowing how much electricity they were using.

Sure, but that just the sales spiel, because so many of you lot are
so stupid that you just refuse to allow your meter to be changed.

Suppliers (or rather the distributors) can insist on meters being
changed. They change them every few years in any case. At my previous
place, they changed all the electromechanical ones in the street for
electronic ones with an LCD display, though there wasn't anything wrong
with the old ones. (They left my original (electromechanical)
time-switch though.)

The only complication is that the new meter might require cellphone
access (if that's how it works).

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Max Demian wrote

If the purpose was to save money on meter readers it could have been
left to a consortium of suppliers, who would only have done it if it
would save them money.

But it makes more sense for the govt to at least specify an interface
standard so you can change suppliers without changing the meter.

Corse you lot stuffed that up completely too.

The only Government involvement would be to insist that all suppliers
use the same system so people could change easily.

Makes more sense for the govt to get involved in the specs of the meter.

Instead (in the UK) it was mandated by the Government,

Thats the way it should have been done.

Excessive Government involvement means they can charge (someone).

Someone always pays for any meter and the reading of it
even if its only in your time and effort to read it yourself.

to be paid for by the suppliers

Ditto. No reason why anyone else should be paying for that.

(meaning the users as that is the suppliers' only source of money),

No reason why anyone else should be paying for that.

There would be no money to be paid by anyone if it was done just to save
paying meter readers.

Corse there must be when the meter is a capital cost.

with the entirely spurious claim that it would enable users to save
money by knowing how much electricity they were using.

Sure, but that just the sales spiel, because so many of you lot are
so stupid that you just refuse to allow your meter to be changed.

Suppliers (or rather the distributors) can insist on meters being changed.

But not that you have a smart meter.

They change them every few years in any case.

Completely stupid way to do things.

At my previous place, they changed all the electromechanical ones in the
street for electronic ones with an LCD display, though there wasn't
anything wrong with the old ones.

Yep, you clowns couldnt organise a ****up in a brewery.

The only reason you lot managed an empire
was because the others were even worse.

(They left my original (electromechanical) time-switch though.)

Wota packa terminal ****wits. Ours has been remotely
controlled electronic switches for decades now.