Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Darwin award

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-engl...cycling-centre

Now is it me of did the bloke set it off? He did not just "pick it up
and it went off"

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Dec 2017 10:33:55 GMT, Huge wrote:

Naah. He was ****ing with it.

Not at all surprising that such events are occurring given how
difficult it is to legally dispose of time-expired flares these
days.

I just set them off in the back garden. It was worryingly hard to get
some of them going - involving a blowlamp in at least one case.

Hand helds are not too bad, just like holding a large firework.
Parachute a bit more awkward , When Mother still had the farm I took
a couple down there as it was well inland and unlikely to be seen as a
vessel in distress. even so my brother and I thought it would be
prudent to fire it pointing down slightly so it followed the ground
and hopefully buried itself in the boggy area around the stream at the
bottom of the hillside the field lay on.
Sodding thing decided to behave like a miniature cruise missile and
followed down the hillside across the stream then rose up again before
landing in the neighbouring farms field where it glowed ominously
while smoking like a large bonfire. Fortunately we had deliberately
waited till the hay had been baled and collected and the neighbour
knew us well enough to know that call saying "Sorry about the Fire in
you field but we are dealing with it " was nothing to get too worked
up about. "You be playing with rockets again?"

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-12-12, ARW wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-engl...cycling-centre

Now is it me of did the bloke set it off? He did not just "pick it up
and it went off"

From watching the video, I guess he could have pulled "the pin out" or
something like that, but it certainly doesn't look like he lit it.
How do these kinds of flares work?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 12 December 2017 20:11:05 UTC, ARW wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-engl...cycling-centre

Now is it me of did the bloke set it off? He did not just "pick it up
and it went off"

--
Adam

Here's another award winner, FF to about 3mins in .

https://petapixel.com/2017/12/12/fam...tory-building/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-12-12, ARW wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-engl...cycling-centre

Now is it me of did the bloke set it off? He did not just "pick it up
and it went off"

From watching the video, I guess he could have pulled "the pin out" or
something like that, but it certainly doesn't look like he lit it.
How do these kinds of flares work?

Pull a pin, break a seal, pull a trigger etc. Theyre not that easy to set
off accidentally usually.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-12-12, ARW wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-engl...cycling-centre

Now is it me of did the bloke set it off? He did not just "pick it up
and it went off"

From watching the video, I guess he could have pulled "the pin out" or
something like that, but it certainly doesn't look like he lit it.
How do these kinds of flares work?

Pull a pin, break a seal, pull a trigger etc. Theyre not that easy to set
off accidentally usually.

OK, thanks. Maybe he pulled something, but not if it required much
effort (the way it looks to me).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What does this button do fred.. Oh.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"ARW" wrote in message
news
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-engl...cycling-centre

Now is it me of did the bloke set it off? He did not just "pick it up and
it went off"

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Or indeed anything out of the ordinary it seems.
Brian

--
----- -

On 2017-12-12, ARW wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-engl...cycling-centre

Now is it me of did the bloke set it off? He did not just "pick it up
and it went off"

Naah. He was ****ing with it.

--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 54th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3183

Not at all surprising that such events are occurring given how
difficult it is to legally dispose of time-expired flares these
days.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 15:24:29 +0000, Adam Funk
wrote:

From watching the video, I guess he could have pulled "the pin out" or
something like that, but it certainly doesn't look like he lit it.
How do these kinds of flares work?

Pull a pin, break a seal, pull a trigger etc. They’re not that easy to set
off accidentally usually.

OK, thanks. Maybe he pulled something, but not if it required much
effort (the way it looks to me).

They are designed to be used by people being thrown about in a life
raft who's fingers may be stiff with cold ,frozen and numb and wet.
usually it is a two or 3 stage process none of which take that much
effort in themselves.
Remove plastic cap , pull cord that is now exposed.
Remove plastic cap, exposing a lever trigger with a safety clip ,
pull off safety clip , move lever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txHUBUzGnP4

The one in the video seemed to go off too easily, I wonder if it had
been deliberately nobbled as a "Joke".

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2017 14:01, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 12 December 2017 20:11:05 UTC, ARW wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-engl...cycling-centre

Now is it me of did the bloke set it off? He did not just "pick it up
and it went off"

--
Adam

Here's another award winner, FF to about 3mins in .

https://petapixel.com/2017/12/12/fam...tory-building/

I actually felt sick watching that.

I'm not happy above 6m.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 13 December 2017 18:40:11 UTC, ARW wrote:
On 13/12/2017 14:01, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 12 December 2017 20:11:05 UTC, ARW wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-engl...cycling-centre

Now is it me of did the bloke set it off? He did not just "pick it up
and it went off"

--
Adam

Here's another award winner, FF to about 3mins in .

https://petapixel.com/2017/12/12/fam...tory-building/

I actually felt sick watching that.

It didn;t affect me like that, other ones have, it;s weird feeling as you know sitting on a chair in an office you are quite safe from falling.

The moise in the background sound like someone hoovering/dysoning/henrying
and just aftre the fall a thud is heard it canl;t be fronm the person falling as it's too far away.

I'm not happy above 6m.

I can manage 4 rungs on a ladder but after that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2017 10:11, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

I wondered about the thud just after. Not long enough to have dropped 62
floors.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 13 December 2017 18:40:11 UTC, ARW wrote:
On 13/12/2017 14:01, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 12 December 2017 20:11:05 UTC, ARW wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-engl...cycling-centre

Now is it me of did the bloke set it off? He did not just "pick it up
and it went off"

--
Adam

Here's another award winner, FF to about 3mins in .

https://petapixel.com/2017/12/12/fam...tory-building/

I actually felt sick watching that.

It didn;t affect me like that,

Me neither.

other ones have,

Yeah, particularly the ones strolling along narrow beams
hundreds of feet above the ground with body cams and
nothing to save them if they trip or the wind blows.

it;s weird feeling as you know sitting on a chair
in an office you are quite safe from falling.

The moise in the background sound like someone hoovering/dysoning/henrying
and just aftre the fall a thud is heard it canl;t be fronm the person
falling as it's too
far away.

I'm not happy above 6m.

I can manage 4 rungs on a ladder but after that.

I'm fine, its getting on and off the ladder onto the flat
roof that gives me a bit of a pause. I still do it tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
news
[...]

Presumably he bounced off something on the way down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I have no real problem on ladders. I just don't like getting back on
them from a roof.

My wife on the other hand can only manage a few rungs on a ladder.
Oddly, she did manage a tandem jump from a 4000ft cliff many years ago -
which is something that would probably paralyse me with fear ... her
ex-boyfriend (whose idea it was) had to be pushed off!

SteveW