Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Darwin award

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 15:24:29 +0000, Adam Funk
wrote:

From watching the video, I guess he could have pulled "the pin out" or
something like that, but it certainly doesn't look like he lit it.
How do these kinds of flares work?

Pull a pin, break a seal, pull a trigger etc. They’re not that easy to set
off accidentally usually.

OK, thanks. Maybe he pulled something, but not if it required much
effort (the way it looks to me).

They are designed to be used by people being thrown about in a life
raft who's fingers may be stiff with cold ,frozen and numb and wet.
usually it is a two or 3 stage process none of which take that much
effort in themselves.
Remove plastic cap , pull cord that is now exposed.
Remove plastic cap, exposing a lever trigger with a safety clip ,
pull off safety clip , move lever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txHUBUzGnP4

The one in the video seemed to go off too easily, I wonder if it had
been deliberately nobbled as a "Joke".

G.Harman