Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plastic Rawlplug Success

Maybe everybody does this, but...

Heavy curtains, rail about 100mm from wall so lots of leverage.

Over the years, two brackets at one end have failed a couple of times
and have been fixed by using larger plugs. This time, the holes are
just too big. It's crumbly mortar and plaster which is the problem.
Unfortunate as the other five brackets are nice and solid in brick.

So, I hoover out the 10-15mm crumbly holes, squirt in some hot melt
glue, position a new rawlplug, then fill around it as best I can with
more hot melt glue. Trim excess and refit brackets.

Solid as a rock.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2017 14:01, Clive Arthur wrote:
Maybe everybody does this, but...

Heavy curtains, rail about 100mm from wall so lots of leverage.

Over the years, two brackets at one end have failed a couple of times
and have been fixed by using larger plugs.Â* This time, the holes are
just too big.Â* It's crumbly mortar and plaster which is the problem.
Unfortunate as the other five brackets are nice and solid in brick.

So, I hoover out the 10-15mm crumbly holes, squirt in some hot melt
glue, position a new rawlplug, then fill around it as best I can with
more hot melt glue.Â* Trim excess and refit brackets.

Solid as a rock.

Cheers

Car body filler works as well. Two part epoxy works but it's quite
expensive. You can use a fiver's worth on one hole!

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 December 2017 14:12:47 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
On 10/12/2017 14:01, Clive Arthur wrote:
Maybe everybody does this, but...

Heavy curtains, rail about 100mm from wall so lots of leverage.

Over the years, two brackets at one end have failed a couple of times
and have been fixed by using larger plugs.Â* This time, the holes are
just too big.Â* It's crumbly mortar and plaster which is the problem.
Unfortunate as the other five brackets are nice and solid in brick.

So, I hoover out the 10-15mm crumbly holes, squirt in some hot melt
glue, position a new rawlplug, then fill around it as best I can with
more hot melt glue.Â* Trim excess and refit brackets.

Solid as a rock.

Cheers

Car body filler works as well. Two part epoxy works but it's quite
expensive. You can use a fiver's worth on one hole!

If you do you're paying way too much for the stuff
Usually I find painting the hole with PVA before polyfilling works fine.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 12 December 2017 06:52:05 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
On 10/12/2017 14:29, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

Depends on the hole

Bill

No, it doesn't. You're either paying way too much or inappropriately filling drainpipe sized holed through walls with epoxy.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 12 December 2017 06:53:03 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
On 11/12/2017 15:43, Rob Morley wrote:
On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 17:53:20 +0000
Clive Arthur wrote:
On 10/12/2017 14:29, tabbypurr wrote:

If you do you're paying way too much for the stuff
Usually I find painting the hole with PVA before polyfilling works
fine.

A good method indeed, but I'd have to buy some Polyfilla (I have some
PVA), then when set, drill it to take the plug. With the hot melt
glue gun, bish-bash-bosh, sorted, no mess.

I usually set the plug in the Polyfilla before it hardens. I don't
think I've not had Polyfilla (although I use that as a generic term,
because I wouldn't buy the expensive stuff) ready for use since forever
- it's one of those things Rawl Plugs (generic, see above) that you
just /have/.

Polyfilla is just plaster. It's crap for taking a load.

Bill

It has enough compressive strength for almost everything. Radiators, banisters, handrails, cupboards, all sorts. And I do not do weak fixings. I wonder if you've been using too short screws.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Arthur wrote:
Maybe everybody does this, but...

Heavy curtains, rail about 100mm from wall so lots of leverage.

Over the years, two brackets at one end have failed a couple of times
and have been fixed by using larger plugs. This time, the holes are
just too big. It's crumbly mortar and plaster which is the problem.
Unfortunate as the other five brackets are nice and solid in brick.

So, I hoover out the 10-15mm crumbly holes, squirt in some hot melt
glue, position a new rawlplug, then fill around it as best I can with
more hot melt glue. Trim excess and refit brackets.

Solid as a rock.

Cheers

A good idea! I usually wrap a long strip of paper round one, and push
that in (assuming the hole is still basically cylindrical), but I'm
always looking for other ways of doing things.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 12 December 2017 14:14:12 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
On 12/12/2017 10:59, tabbypurr wrote:

Car body filler works as well. Two part epoxy works but it's quite
expensive. You can use a fiver's worth on one hole!

If you do you're paying way too much for the stuff

Depends on the hole

Bill

No, it doesn't. You're either paying way too much or inappropriately filling drainpipe sized holed through walls with epoxy.

I use various ones; normally get them from RS. I use the one that has
aluminium granules in it mostly.

Bill

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/adhes...archTerm=epoxy

bonkers prices

A quick search gave this
http://www.constructionchemicals.co.uk/Metoset-380.html
that's polyester resin though.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 12 December 2017 14:09:47 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
On 12/12/2017 11:01, tabbypurr wrote:

Polyfilla is just plaster. It's crap for taking a load.

Bill

It has enough compressive strength for almost everything. Radiators, banisters, handrails, cupboards, all sorts. And I do not do weak fixings. I wonder if you've been using too short screws.

NT

I use screws with a length appropriate for the plug.
I wouldn't trust any fixing that was only into plaster or polyfilla.
Masonry fixings have to be into something solid: brick, stone, or concrete.

Bill

You're doing something wrong if you can't suspend yourself off a screw into polyfiller type fillers. I'm not sure what but likely screws too short. For a medium load I'll use 2.5" screw into plugs in polyfilla in a larger masonry hole. 3" for heavy duty loads. Nothing shifts it.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 06:53:08 +0000
Bill Wright wrote:

Polyfilla is just plaster. It's crap for taking a load.

Whenever I've had a fastener pull out of a plaster wall and repaired it
with a good splat of Polyfilla it seems to have resulted in a stronger
fixing.