Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plastic Rawlplug Success

On Tuesday, 12 December 2017 14:09:47 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
On 12/12/2017 11:01, tabbypurr wrote:

Polyfilla is just plaster. It's crap for taking a load.

Bill

It has enough compressive strength for almost everything. Radiators, banisters, handrails, cupboards, all sorts. And I do not do weak fixings. I wonder if you've been using too short screws.

NT

I use screws with a length appropriate for the plug.
I wouldn't trust any fixing that was only into plaster or polyfilla.
Masonry fixings have to be into something solid: brick, stone, or concrete.

Bill

You're doing something wrong if you can't suspend yourself off a screw into polyfiller type fillers. I'm not sure what but likely screws too short. For a medium load I'll use 2.5" screw into plugs in polyfilla in a larger masonry hole. 3" for heavy duty loads. Nothing shifts it.

NT