Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using all the ballance on prepaid cards.

How would you use all the balance on a prepaid Mastercard which you
can't top up? Do supermarkets in general allow multiple card payments?
e.g. Charge £40 to this prepaid card and the rest to a normal debit or
credit card.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-12-07, Michael Chare wrote:
How would you use all the balance on a prepaid Mastercard which you
can't top up? Do supermarkets in general allow multiple card payments?
e.g. Charge £40 to this prepaid card and the rest to a normal debit or
credit card.

I don't see why not. It may be easier to mix the prepaid card with cash,
e.g., charge £40 to this prepaid card and the rest in cash.

I've certainly done it in restaurants to split the bill between couples,
half on each of two cards. I can't see why supermarkets would not play ball.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2017 11:53, Michael Chare wrote:
How would you use all the balance on a prepaid Mastercard which you
can't top up? Do supermarkets in general allow multiple card payments?
e.g. Charge £40 to this prepaid card and the rest to a normal debit or
credit card.

That or payment card + some cash. What they are unwilling to do is give
back change so you can't buy one kitkat and walk away with £39.45 cash.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2017 11:53, Michael Chare wrote:
How would you use all the balance on a prepaid Mastercard which you
can't top up? Do supermarkets in general allow multiple card payments?
e.g. Charge £40 to this prepaid card and the rest to a normal debit or
credit card.

I have certainly split bills over multiple payment types before. However
last time I have a pre-paid card (was from a "cash back" deal when I
bought something), I issued an invoice to myself for the full "worth" of
the card (less transaction fees) from one of the online card settlement
services, and then paid it with the card. That turned it into cash in
the bank.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Michael Chare, Iggy wrote:
Yes. But, you may need to help the Cashier. Store types, like Supermarkets,
that have specific duty jobs commonly don't have the patience nor the wit to
deal with your situation. They'll need to split the order and process a
separate order for each payment method's amount. It's no problem for stores
that have lower or less technology with multiple duty staff, they can spread
your payments over everything in a single transaction and receipt.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1255052-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 11:53:03 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

How would you use all the balance on a prepaid Mastercard which you
can't top up? Do supermarkets in general allow multiple card payments?
e.g. Charge £40 to this prepaid card and the rest to a normal debit or
credit card.

My son regularly visits Tesco for late night food. He uses the self
checkout.

Empties all his spare change into the machine, then uses his card for the
rest. Probably works the other way round.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Iggy m wrote
Michael Chare wrote

Yes. But, you may need to help the Cashier. Store types, like
Supermarkets, that have specific duty jobs commonly don't
have the patience nor the wit to deal with your situation.

Our self checkouts handle it fine with a very explicit multiple
payment button right there on the main payment screen.

Even you should be able to manage that if someone was actually
stupid enough to lend you a seeing eye dog and a white cane.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Rod Speed, Iggy wrote:
When they start paying me for doing their job, then I'll use the
self-checkout. I've dropped my stuff on the floor and left when cashiers were
standing there telling me that I have to do their job. Self-checkout places
aren't even discounting prices, they're either the same or more expensive than
those without. But, no-one has a spine anymore and only do as their Masters
tell them.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1255052-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2017 00:50, Rod Speed wrote:
Iggy m wrote
Michael Chare wrote

Yes. But, you may need to help the Cashier. Store types, like
Supermarkets, that have specific duty jobs commonly don't have the
patience nor the wit to deal with your situation.

Our self checkouts handle it fine with a very explicit multiple payment
button right there on the main payment screen.
Even you should be able to manage that if someone was actually stupid
enough to lend you a seeing eye dog and a white cane.

Which supermarket(s)

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2017 11:53, Michael Chare wrote:
How would you use all the balance on a prepaid Mastercard which you
can't top up? Do supermarkets in general allow multiple card payments?
e.g. Charge £40 to this prepaid card and the rest to a normal debit or
credit card.

I often get rid of small change in a self checkout and pay the balance
with a card.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2017 15:06, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 07/12/2017 11:53, Michael Chare wrote:
How would you use all the balance on a prepaid Mastercard which you
can't top up? Do supermarkets in general allow multiple card payments?
e.g. Charge £40 to this prepaid card and the rest to a normal debit or
credit card.

I often get rid of small change in a self checkout and pay the balance
with a card.

Cheers

A local petrol station said they would take cash and cards but not two
cards. When buy fuel, it is easier to get the amount nearly correct, if
not exact.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 11:53:03 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

How would you use all the balance on a prepaid Mastercard which you
can't top up? Do supermarkets in general allow multiple card payments?
e.g. Charge £40 to this prepaid card and the rest to a normal debit or
credit card.

My son regularly visits Tesco for late night food. He uses the self
checkout.

Empties all his spare change into the machine, then uses his card for
the rest. Probably works the other way round.

I tried to do that with the old pound coins I had lying around, before
they became no longer in use. The machines in my local Tesco didn't like
it. Kept on rejecting most of them. An assistant simply changed them into
a note. Of course some might have been forgeries - it was said there were
lots around. The new pound coins seem a lot better in machines.

-

--
*Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Iggy m wrote:
When they start paying me for doing their job, then I'll use the
self-checkout. I've dropped my stuff on the floor and left when cashiers
were standing there telling me that I have to do their job.
Self-checkout places aren't even discounting prices, they're either the
same or more expensive than those without. But, no-one has a spine
anymore and only do as their Masters tell them.

Beauty of a self checkout is it doesn't spend ages chatting to the
customer in front of you. And most who use them don't spend ages looking
for their purse after doing the checkout. In other words, most who use
them want as speedy a process as possible.

--
*Middle age is when it takes longer to rest than to get tired.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Dave Plowman (News), Iggy wrote:
I haven't had those problems and more so I see the self-checkout not scanning
or breaking down altogether. More than a few times, I've waited in line,
checked-out and walked past self-checkers that started when I got in line and
kept trying to scan, re-scan or start over and especially satisfy the bag
weight sensor.

I did try them without incident only once, the other handful of times required
the Supervising Staff to override the system for every item, even store gift
cards wouldn't work. So, I gave up and now protest.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1255052-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:
A local petrol station said they would take cash and cards but not two
cards. When buy fuel, it is easier to get the amount nearly correct, if
not exact.

Would they end up paying higher charges with two cards?

--
*Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:
A local petrol station said they would take cash and cards but not two
cards. When buy fuel, it is easier to get the amount nearly correct, if
not exact.

Would they end up paying higher charges with two cards?

I don't know. I suspect that it was an issue with the way the till
worked. I now have a solution to using all the money on the card which
is my main concern.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:
A local petrol station said they would take cash and cards but not two
cards. When buy fuel, it is easier to get the amount nearly correct, if
not exact.

Would they end up paying higher charges with two cards?

Depends on if they are credit or debit I would have thought... normally
cc costs them a percentage of the transaction value while a dc will be a
fixed fee per transaction.

(however the actual nature of the deal with your merchant services may
skew that a bit if there is also a per transaction charge on the PDW
machine etc)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Iggy m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

When they start paying me for doing their job,

They do. The prices would be higher if they didnt have any self
checkouts because they would have to pay more staff or you would
have to wait longer in the queues at the manned checkouts.

then I'll use the self-checkout. I've dropped my stuff on the floor and
left when cashiers were standing there telling me that I have to do their
job.

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you are that terminal a
****wit.

Self-checkout places aren't even discounting prices,

They'd have to charge more or have longer queues without self checkouts.

they're either the same or more expensive than those without.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and thats saying something.

But, no-one has a spine anymore and only do as their Masters tell them.

Plenty of fools like you continue to use the manned checkouts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Dec 2017 15:37:34 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

====snip====

I tried to do that with the old pound coins I had lying around, before
they became no longer in use. The machines in my local Tesco didn't like
it. Kept on rejecting most of them. An assistant simply changed them
into a note. Of course some might have been forgeries - it was said
there were lots around. The new pound coins seem a lot better in
machines.

I remember a figure being quoted of 10% of all the one pound coins in
circulation being forgeries in a TV programme a few years back. The
problem was so severe that not even the banks questioned their validity
unless they were really obvious forgeries.

The differences between genuine and forged, were so subtle as to be
difficult to spot even with the aid of an identity chart of the
ludicrously large variety of genuine one pound coins that were in
circulation (more than a dozen different designs FFS! AFAICR).

The problem seems to have been self inflicted by the Royal Mint's
propensity to issue new varieties of design. Hopefully, they'll be able
to resist this needless urge to make life easy for the forgers from now
on.

JOOI, I closely examined my pocket change of four one pound coins, three
of which were, as expected dated 2017 with one, surprisingly, minted in
2016. All four were of identical design as far as I could tell using a
jewellers loupe. Hopefully, the Royal Mint will resist the urge to give
the forgers an easy life by sticking rigidly to this one design from now
on.

--
Johnny B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news
On 08/12/2017 00:50, Rod Speed wrote:
Iggy m wrote
Michael Chare wrote

Yes. But, you may need to help the Cashier. Store types, like
Supermarkets, that have specific duty jobs commonly don't have the
patience nor the wit to deal with your situation.

Our self checkouts handle it fine with a very explicit multiple payment
button right there on the main payment screen.
Even you should be able to manage that if someone was actually stupid
enough to lend you a seeing eye dog and a white cane.

Which supermarket(s)

All of them with self checkouts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Iggy m wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

I haven't had those problems

What problems ?

and more so I see the self-checkout not scanning or breaking down
altogether.

You clowns can't manage to do a viable self checkout ? Wota surprise.

More than a few times, I've waited in line, checked-out and walked past
self-checkers that started when I got in line and kept trying to scan,
re-scan or start over and especially satisfy the bag weight sensor.

Only happened to me the once, with a single packet of beer brewing
yeast and our self checkouts dont weigh anything anymore.

I did try them without incident only once, the other handful of times
required the Supervising Staff to override the system for every item,

You clowns can't manage to do a viable self checkout ? Wota surprise.

even store gift cards wouldn't work.

Work fine for me.

So, I gave up and now protest.

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you are that terminal a
****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/17 15:20, Michael Chare wrote:
On 08/12/2017 15:06, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 07/12/2017 11:53, Michael Chare wrote:
How would you use all the balance on a prepaid Mastercard which you
can't top up?

A local petrol station said they would take cash and cards but not two
cards. When buy fuel, it is easier to get the amount nearly correct, if
not exact.

Some petrol stations impose a daily limit per card, and after you've
paid for the lawnmower petrol and reinserted the card for some diesel,
the message: "Take fuel - maximum value £88" (or whatever) appears. Do
they auto shut off at that amount? If so, would they auto shut off at
the balance on a prepaid card? If they don't auto shut off, how would
one pay, at a non-attended petrol station, for the excess?

--
Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Beauty of a self checkout is it doesn't spend ages chatting to the
customer in front of you. And most who use them don't spend ages looking
for their purse after doing the checkout. In other words, most who use
them want as speedy a process as possible.

I regard it as a social service to bring employment to a lot of low
skilled people.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2017 11:53, Michael Chare wrote:
How would you use all the balance on a prepaid Mastercard which you
can't top up? Do supermarkets in general allow multiple card payments?
e.g. Charge £40 to this prepaid card and the rest to a normal debit or
credit card.

Use at a filling station, and take the exact remaining balance as fuel.

--
Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWIz4eYj3fE