Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mice and cables

from my research at
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/p...m-mice.378502/
it seems that mice chew cables to get through a hole
so maybe make them a bigger hole to get through
and seal around the cable hole?

I'm feeding cables under a floor to the cellar,
there's no way of eliminating all future mice

[George]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George Miles wrote:
from my research at
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/p...m-mice.378502/
it seems that mice chew cables to get through a hole
so maybe make them a bigger hole to get through
and seal around the cable hole?

I'm feeding cables under a floor to the cellar,
there's no way of eliminating all future mice

[George]

They wont chew through metal! I've made close fitting metal plates to
block areas where they have chewed floorboards to enlarge the holes
around pipework to come into the house and especially the pantry. Seems
to have worked over several autumn/winters which is when they visit us.

Steel conduit should give you a perfect solution.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 2:24:04 PM UTC, George Miles wrote:
from my research at
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/p...m-mice.378502/
it seems that mice chew cables to get through a hole
so maybe make them a bigger hole to get through
and seal around the cable hole?

I'm feeding cables under a floor to the cellar,
there's no way of eliminating all future mice

[George]

Don't know about mice but squirrels ate throgh cable to an outside pump in a small pump house. They had been storing their cache in the same area the previous year. Left a nice little pile of nut shells.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2017 14:23, George Miles wrote:
from my research at
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/p...m-mice.378502/
it seems that mice chew cables to get through a hole
so maybe make them a bigger hole to get through
and seal around the cable hole?

They also chew cables just to sharpen their teeth and because they have
a death wish. The more valuable and difficult to replace the cable the
more likely they are to bite into it. They seem to like PVC cables.

They don't chew metal as much apart from aluminium foil.

I'm feeding cables under a floor to the cellar,
there's no way of eliminating all future mice

[George]

You would be astonished how small a gap a mouse can get through.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rumour has it that they also like some of the plasticizers used in plastics.
I am not a mouse so do not know what they get turned on by. However I heard
on the wireles, so it must be true that its been discovered that mice are
quite partial to the stuff our modern bank notes are are made of, so watch
out where you store them piles of money folks!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
news
George Miles wrote:
from my research at
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/p...m-mice.378502/
it seems that mice chew cables to get through a hole
so maybe make them a bigger hole to get through
and seal around the cable hole?

I'm feeding cables under a floor to the cellar,
there's no way of eliminating all future mice

[George]

They wont chew through metal! I've made close fitting metal plates to
block areas where they have chewed floorboards to enlarge the holes
around pipework to come into the house and especially the pantry. Seems to
have worked over several autumn/winters which is when they visit us.

Steel conduit should give you a perfect solution.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

They also chew cables just to sharpen their teeth and because they have
a death wish. The more valuable and difficult to replace the cable the
more likely they are to bite into it. They seem to like PVC cables.

They don't chew metal as much apart from aluminium foil.

A few years ago I was investigating a cable TV fault in a
block of flats which was caused by interaction between the
incoming feeders.

I turned the wrong way when leaving the lift and went out of
the rear entrance by mistake. I turned to try to get back in
before the door shut but I was too late - beneficial, as it
happened, because the problem was right in front of me!

The cable duct stopped about 4" above ground level and the
cables ran up to an entry point a couple of feet higher up
the wall. The installers should have protected this part as
well, but they hadn't!

Some of the local rats obviously had a nest in one of the
footway chambers somewhere. They'd scavenged a very large
chop bone from somewhere and attempted to take it home!

Unfortunately, the bone had got wedged in the entry to the
duct and they'd obviously picked it clean there but they
also decided that the cables were fair game too. For a
length of about 6" there was no PVC sheath, outer braid or
centre dielectric. Only the ineer conductors had defeated
them - they were 1mm diameter copper plated steel - and they
all sat naked in close proximity to each other.

--

Terry

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:
Mice infested my collection of old single-use plastic supermarket
shopping bags. They preferred to eat the Sainsbury's orange ones. Tesco,
Morrisons, B&Q, plain white, and M&S were chewed much less.
Do they eat fibreglass loft insulation? I have used that to seal a
heating run through a wall.

Mice can certainly tunnel though fibreglass insulation - just removed
some from my wall with neat circular tunnels through it.

Mike (not the same Mike!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 5 Dec 2017 14:50:29 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

On 05/12/2017 14:23, George Miles wrote:
from my research at
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/p...m-mice.378502/
it seems that mice chew cables to get through a hole
so maybe make them a bigger hole to get through
and seal around the cable hole?

They also chew cables just to sharpen their teeth and because they have
a death wish. The more valuable and difficult to replace the cable the
more likely they are to bite into it. They seem to like PVC cables.

They don't chew metal as much apart from aluminium foil.

Brass is supposed to be the best rat proof sheathing for cables.

Extending multiple BX cables: with multiple bx cables or multiple wires in greenfield? Existential Angst Home Repair 13 November 14th 09 04:58 PM
can I make long cables, other than co-ax cables mm Electronics Repair 9 April 13th 08 01:52 AM
Stucco Gaps and Mice Henry Home Repair 4 September 2nd 04 04:29 AM
Wives and mice - UK diy 32 January 2nd 04 01:33 PM
Mice, Questions about D-Con and Traps McCoysWink Home Repair 3 October 27th 03 01:18 PM