Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Phew!

Hurrying to lay in some *first fix* plumbing before gluing the floor, I
was in two minds about testing for leaks! What can go wrong with a 15mm
copper, well cleaned and fluxed Yorkshire straight connection?
Well, the suspect joint was actually in a sleeve roughly in the middle
of a pair of floor joists and only found with a liberal dose of dilute
Fairy!
Hmm.. The current offering from Screwfix don't show much of a visible
solder ring.....

While we are on the subject... my current gas blowtorch is probably too
small for 28mm pipe. Does anyone have a recommendation for a better one
using a readily available gas canister?
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote :
While we are on the subject... my current gas blowtorch is probably too small
for 28mm pipe. Does anyone have a recommendation for a better one using a
readily available gas canister?

--

Rothenburg do a rather good one, but using special cartridges.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
Hurrying to lay in some *first fix* plumbing before gluing the floor,
I was in two minds about testing for leaks! What can go wrong with a
15mm copper, well cleaned and fluxed Yorkshire straight connection?
Well, the suspect joint was actually in a sleeve roughly in the middle
of a pair of floor joists and only found with a liberal dose of dilute
Fairy!
Hmm.. The current offering from Screwfix don't show much of a visible
solder ring.....

While we are on the subject... my current gas blowtorch is probably
too small for 28mm pipe. Does anyone have a recommendation for a
better one using a readily available gas canister?

When I was a lad, we always put a bit of extra solder on the joint when the
solder in the Yorkshire fitting ran. Just to be sure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
Hurrying to lay in some *first fix* plumbing before gluing the floor, I
was in two minds about testing for leaks! What can go wrong with a 15mm
copper, well cleaned and fluxed Yorkshire straight connection?
Well, the suspect joint was actually in a sleeve roughly in the middle
of a pair of floor joists and only found with a liberal dose of dilute
Fairy!
Hmm.. The current offering from Screwfix don't show much of a visible
solder ring.....

If there is no solder showing clearly and continuously around all ends
(use a mirror and torch) no point in even testing it. Do it again. Hope
you aren't paying extra for solder ring fittings.

While we are on the subject... my current gas blowtorch is probably too
small for 28mm pipe. Does anyone have a recommendation for a better one
using a readily available gas canister?

A second one the same, if you like it? My ancient Camping Gaz one just
about copes with 28mm.

*Starfishes have no brains *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message

While we are on the subject... my current gas blowtorch is probably too
small for 28mm pipe. Does anyone have a recommendation for a better one
using a readily available gas canister?

Just my opinion but you need to be really careful using the higher power MAP
blowtorch on 15 and 22mm fittings its very easy to overheat the fitting and
burn the flux and end up with a useless joint
why not get one of these and a small 3.9kg Propane Gas Cylinder
http://www.toolsbypost.com/index.php...roduct_id=1000

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2017 14:32, Tim Lamb wrote:
Hurrying to lay in some *first fix* plumbing before gluing the floor, I
was in two minds about testing for leaks! What can go wrong with a 15mm
copper, well cleaned and fluxed Yorkshire straight connection?
Well, the suspect joint was actually in a sleeve roughly in the middle
of a pair of floor joists and only found with a liberal dose of dilute
Fairy!
Hmm.. The current offering from Screwfix don't show much of a visible
solder ring.....

While we are on the subject... my current gas blowtorch is probably too
small for 28mm pipe. Does anyone have a recommendation for a better one
using a readily available gas canister?

I'm doing some plumbing using a Surefire2 and MAP

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rothenberge.../dp/B000TGNDO0.

The torch is adjusted to _MINIMUM_ flame for 15mm and 22mm solder ring
fittings and so will cope with 28mm with ease.

With MAPP the torch lights instantly on the piezo ignition and works at
any angle. This means that I can always put the torch down without a flame.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Tim Lamb wrote:
Hurrying to lay in some *first fix* plumbing before gluing the floor,
I was in two minds about testing for leaks! What can go wrong with a
15mm copper, well cleaned and fluxed Yorkshire straight connection?
Well, the suspect joint was actually in a sleeve roughly in the middle
of a pair of floor joists and only found with a liberal dose of dilute
Fairy!
Hmm.. The current offering from Screwfix don't show much of a visible
solder ring.....

While we are on the subject... my current gas blowtorch is probably
too small for 28mm pipe. Does anyone have a recommendation for a
better one using a readily available gas canister?

When I was a lad, we always put a bit of extra solder on the joint when the
solder in the Yorkshire fitting ran. Just to be sure.

As did I. Unfortunately it doesn't seem possible to produce a visible
fillet with the lead free solder - this was always reassuring with
tin-lead solder, now I always pressure check mine for 24 hours in case
of a little track of flux through the joint.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
Hurrying to lay in some *first fix* plumbing before gluing the floor, I
was in two minds about testing for leaks! What can go wrong with a 15mm
copper, well cleaned and fluxed Yorkshire straight connection?
Well, the suspect joint was actually in a sleeve roughly in the middle
of a pair of floor joists and only found with a liberal dose of dilute
Fairy!
Hmm.. The current offering from Screwfix don't show much of a visible
solder ring.....

If there is no solder showing clearly and continuously around all ends
(use a mirror and torch) no point in even testing it. Do it again. Hope
you aren't paying extra for solder ring fittings.

They are roughly twice as much as end feed but even a farmer on a
pension can afford £0.32 ea. for a joint that only requires one hand.

While we are on the subject... my current gas blowtorch is probably too
small for 28mm pipe. Does anyone have a recommendation for a better one
using a readily available gas canister?

A second one the same, if you like it? My ancient Camping Gaz one just
about copes with 28mm.

Umm.. I wasn't thinking yorkshire for the 28mm and I'll be up a step
ladder trying to avoid scorching the ceiling!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mark writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .

While we are on the subject... my current gas blowtorch is probably too
small for 28mm pipe. Does anyone have a recommendation for a better one
using a readily available gas canister?

Just my opinion but you need to be really careful using the higher power MAP
blowtorch on 15 and 22mm fittings its very easy to overheat the fitting and
burn the flux and end up with a useless joint
why not get one of these and a small 3.9kg Propane Gas Cylinder
http://www.toolsbypost.com/index.php...&path=1087_108
9&product_id=1000

Looks suitable for flat roofing:-)

This is my last plumbing job!

Somewhere I have seen an attachment which can be placed behind the joint
to trap the flame and protect nearby vulnerable stuff.
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

It was well over 40 years ago when I was installing central heating. Metric
size was coming in as I was getting out. Pressure testing was unheard of
then. All I can say that is that the extra bit of solder from a coil of
solder worked. Dunno about the joints under the floor boards. I was and
still am 6' tall and was not going to crawl under the floor boards again to
check.
The blow lamp was a big blaster from a big gas bottle. A bit of asbestos
prevented the skirting boards from being burnt. Well, actually it didn't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , alan_m
writes

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rothenberge...azing-Torch/dp
/B000TGNDO0.

The torch is adjusted to _MINIMUM_ flame for 15mm and 22mm solder ring
fittings and so will cope with 28mm with ease.

With MAPP the torch lights instantly on the piezo ignition and works at
any angle. This means that I can always put the torch down without a
flame.

Hmm.. Looks a tad overkill for my job. Toolstation do a turbo torch and
supply propane in a 400g cylinder which comes to a bit over £50.00
delivered.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Dec 2017 20:36:11 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

snip

I'm doing some plumbing using a Surefire2 and MAP

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rothenberge...azing-Torch/dp
/B000TGNDO0.

The torch is adjusted to _MINIMUM_ flame for 15mm and 22mm solder ring
fittings and so will cope with 28mm with ease.

With MAPP the torch lights instantly on the piezo ignition and works at
any angle. This means that I can always put the torch down without a
flame.

Hmm.. Looks a tad overkill for my job.

The thing is ... they (I have one) make doing any such job so much
easier, like playing a quality instrument over a cheap one.

And with things like soldering there is a bit of craft involved (where
using a decent tool is a good thing and makes the task easier ... and
in the case of working with a live flame, possibly safer)?

Toolstation do a turbo torch and
supply propane in a 400g cylinder which comes to a bit over £50.00
delivered.

And when they are selling off your tools will be worth little, versus
the Superfire II. ;-)

So, you aren't really talking about the £55 (£15 for the bottle) from
Amazon or the £66 all in and delivered from eBay (eg 172242135947) but
just the extra ~16 quid (over the SF offering that you may or many not
to be able to get parts for or service on?) to get something 'known'
and being 'da dogs'. ;-)

"Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM."

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Mark writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .

While we are on the subject... my current gas blowtorch is probably too
small for 28mm pipe. Does anyone have a recommendation for a better one
using a readily available gas canister?

Just my opinion but you need to be really careful using the higher power MAP
blowtorch on 15 and 22mm fittings its very easy to overheat the fitting and
burn the flux and end up with a useless joint
why not get one of these and a small 3.9kg Propane Gas Cylinder
http://www.toolsbypost.com/index.php...&path=1087_108
9&product_id=1000

Looks suitable for flat roofing:-)

This is my last plumbing job!

Somewhere I have seen an attachment which can be placed behind the joint
to trap the flame and protect nearby vulnerable stuff.

You can buy heat resistant blankets to protect surrounding stuff. Or spare
ceramic tiles. Which may split.

--
*Save a tree, eat a beaver*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Dec 2017 23:51:01 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You can buy heat resistant blankets to protect surrounding stuff.

The dark, woven, 9" or so square, heat resistant mats (glass fibre?
carbon fibre?) are very good. heat does get through, eventually.
Spaced away from the pipe and surface being protected you should be
OK over a painted surface provided you don't really fup up doing the
joint. Plain timber not a problem.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 3 December 2017 00:07:24 UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 02 Dec 2017 23:51:01 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You can buy heat resistant blankets to protect surrounding stuff.

The dark, woven, 9" or so square, heat resistant mats (glass fibre?
carbon fibre?) are very good. heat does get through, eventually.
Spaced away from the pipe and surface being protected you should be
OK over a painted surface provided you don't really fup up doing the
joint. Plain timber not a problem.

If you've got nothing with you, you can top & tail 2 food cans, slit & flatten them and put wet cardboard between them. Re-wet for each joint.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2017 14:32, Tim Lamb wrote:
Hurrying to lay in some *first fix* plumbing before gluing the floor, I
was in two minds about testing for leaks! What can go wrong with a 15mm
copper, well cleaned and fluxed Yorkshire straight connection?
Well, the suspect joint was actually in a sleeve roughly in the middle
of a pair of floor joists and only found with a liberal dose of dilute
Fairy!
Hmm.. The current offering from Screwfix don't show much of a visible
solder ring.....

While we are on the subject... my current gas blowtorch is probably too
small for 28mm pipe. Does anyone have a recommendation for a better one
using a readily available gas canister?

I replaced my Bernzomatic quickfire recently[1] with a Rothenberger
Super Fire-2.

Been very pleased with it. Even on propane (it will also run MAPP) it
has plenty of power (you need to throttle it back for 15mm joints). Very
nice you use. Pull the trigger and it lights and runs at the preset
output. No flare, no warm up, just straight into it. Let go and it stops
immediately - so you can just let go and not need to think where you are
putting it etc.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenber...ails_container

(got mine for about £60 on ebay)

[1] The igniter was getting sticky and quite tricky to use, plus it did
not have quite enough output at times.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
Hurrying to lay in some *first fix* plumbing before gluing the floor, I
was in two minds about testing for leaks! What can go wrong with a 15mm
copper, well cleaned and fluxed Yorkshire straight connection?
Well, the suspect joint was actually in a sleeve roughly in the middle
of a pair of floor joists and only found with a liberal dose of dilute
Fairy!
Hmm.. The current offering from Screwfix don't show much of a visible
solder ring.....

While we are on the subject... my current gas blowtorch is probably too
small for 28mm pipe. Does anyone have a recommendation for a better one
using a readily available gas canister?

Which is why we use 2% hard silver solder in australia,(or used to, now
often as not they use various plastic pipes and crimp or push fit
fittings)(which fail more often)
I have never had a hard silver solder joint fail.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 2 December 2017 14:32:50 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
Hurrying to lay in some *first fix* plumbing before gluing the floor, I
was in two minds about testing for leaks! What can go wrong with a 15mm
copper, well cleaned and fluxed Yorkshire straight connection?
Well, the suspect joint was actually in a sleeve roughly in the middle
of a pair of floor joists and only found with a liberal dose of dilute
Fairy!
Hmm.. The current offering from Screwfix don't show much of a visible
solder ring.....

While we are on the subject... my current gas blowtorch is probably too
small for 28mm pipe. Does anyone have a recommendation for a better one
using a readily available gas canister?
--
Tim Lamb

Makes more sense to have two normal blow torches.
Ideally identical.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
[...]

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenber...ng-torch/68635
#product_additional_details_container

(got mine for about £60 on ebay)

[1] The igniter was getting sticky and quite tricky to use, plus it did
not have quite enough output at times.

OK! Just remember I'm the guy who bought a diesel Fiesta!

Nice to think it can be added to my effects auction!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You can buy heat resistant blankets to protect surrounding stuff.

Which these days catch fire, smoke and set off smoke detectors

The words "heat resistant" rather than "flame resistant" seem to be more
appropriate to the item I purchased from Screwfix/Toolsatan a few months
back. It does however protect wood etc. behind the work-piece.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Mark writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message

While we are on the subject... my current gas blowtorch is probably too
small for 28mm pipe. Does anyone have a recommendation for a better one
using a readily available gas canister?

Just my opinion but you need to be really careful using the higher power MAP
blowtorch on 15 and 22mm fittings its very easy to overheat the fitting and
burn the flux and end up with a useless joint
why not get one of these and a small 3.9kg Propane Gas Cylinder
http://www.toolsbypost.com/index.php...&path=1087_108
9&product_id=1000

Looks suitable for flat roofing:-)

This is my last plumbing job!

Somewhere I have seen an attachment which can be placed behind the joint
to trap the flame and protect nearby vulnerable stuff.

You can buy heat resistant blankets to protect surrounding stuff. Or spare
ceramic tiles. Which may split.

Commonly know as Fire Blankets in the engineering trade.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
news
Tim Lamb wrote:
Hurrying to lay in some *first fix* plumbing before gluing the floor,
I was in two minds about testing for leaks! What can go wrong with a
15mm copper, well cleaned and fluxed Yorkshire straight connection?
Well, the suspect joint was actually in a sleeve roughly in the middle
of a pair of floor joists and only found with a liberal dose of dilute
Fairy!
Hmm.. The current offering from Screwfix don't show much of a visible
solder ring.....

While we are on the subject... my current gas blowtorch is probably
too small for 28mm pipe. Does anyone have a recommendation for a
better one using a readily available gas canister?

When I was a lad, we always put a bit of extra solder on the joint when
the solder in the Yorkshire fitting ran. Just to be sure.

Mmmmmm lead poisoning...plumbers still do that with lead solder......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
Hurrying to lay in some *first fix* plumbing before gluing the floor, I
was in two minds about testing for leaks! What can go wrong with a 15mm
copper, well cleaned and fluxed Yorkshire straight connection?
Well, the suspect joint was actually in a sleeve roughly in the middle
of a pair of floor joists and only found with a liberal dose of dilute
Fairy!
Hmm.. The current offering from Screwfix don't show much of a visible
solder ring.....

While we are on the subject... my current gas blowtorch is probably too
small for 28mm pipe. Does anyone have a recommendation for a better one
using a readily available gas canister?

Use a propane or propane/butane mix cylinder the extra heat output does
28mm easily IME
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2017 20:11, Tim Lamb wrote:

snip

They are roughly twice as much as end feed but even a farmer on a
pension can afford £0.32 ea. for a joint that only requires one hand.

Most professionals use end feed. They rely on capillary actions and to
be honest I've been wary of the void in the joint caused by the
reservoir of solder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Capitol
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
Hurrying to lay in some *first fix* plumbing before gluing the floor, I
was in two minds about testing for leaks! What can go wrong with a 15mm
copper, well cleaned and fluxed Yorkshire straight connection?
Well, the suspect joint was actually in a sleeve roughly in the middle
of a pair of floor joists and only found with a liberal dose of dilute
Fairy!
Hmm.. The current offering from Screwfix don't show much of a visible
solder ring.....

While we are on the subject... my current gas blowtorch is probably too
small for 28mm pipe. Does anyone have a recommendation for a better one
using a readily available gas canister?

Use a propane or propane/butane mix cylinder the extra heat
output does 28mm easily IME

OK. My current torch is not a screw fitting type. I think I'll go with
the Rothenburger advice, use propane/butane mix and turn it down for
small joints.

I will use end feed for the larger joints which are mainly up near the
ceiling as I am ducting the pipework to avoid cutting joists.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 3 December 2017 13:09:09 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Capitol
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

adding propane to the mix reduces the calories per cubic whatnot of gas. The upside is the propane works in colder conditions.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2017 11:11, Fredxx wrote:
On 02/12/2017 20:11, Tim Lamb wrote:

snip

They are roughly twice as much as end feed but even a farmer on a
pension can afford £0.32 ea. for a joint that only requires one hand.

Most professionals use end feed. They rely on capillary actions and to
be honest I've been wary of the void in the joint caused by the
reservoir of solder.

Solder ring fittings are usually a little longer to compensate for that.
So the amount of surface area that ends up soldered together is similar
in either case.

I always use end feed just because I find them quicker (they take less
heating), look neater once fitted, and they are cheaper (I buy bulk
packs). Having said that, I keep a few solder ring fittings to hand for
those jobs where you have to work one handed.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

and works longer without freezing up the canister!

(the final flame temperature of either burnt in air is within a few
degrees of each other anyway. MAPP will probably do 40 deg C more)

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2017 12:49, Tim Lamb wrote:

OK. My current torch is not a screw fitting type. I think I'll go with
the Rothenburger advice, use propane/butane mix and turn it down for
small joints.

Probably turn it right down for the larger joints as well and do a
practice joint on a piece of scrap first.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Dec 2017 12:49:19 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

snip

I think I'll go with
the Rothenburger advice, use propane/butane mix and turn it down for
small joints.

The thing is that you can, not only control the flame fairly closely
(I wouldn't say it was *particularly* powerful etc) and use it in
various orientations without it looking more like an angry dragon. ;-)

I will use end feed for the larger joints which are mainly up near the
ceiling as I am ducting the pipework to avoid cutting joists.

I think the trick with many soldering jobs is to warm everything up a
bit first, then heat the joint and the material immediately either
side and watch the solder run (and then leave it alone). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2017 20:36, Tim Lamb wrote:
Hmm.. Looks a tad overkill for my job. Toolstation do a turbo torch and
supply propane in a 400g cylinder which comes to a bit over £50.00
delivered.

50 quid buys a lot of compression fittings.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:

On 02/12/2017 20:36, Tim Lamb wrote:
Hmm.. Looks a tad overkill for my job. Toolstation do a turbo torch and
supply propane in a 400g cylinder which comes to a bit over £50.00
delivered.

50 quid buys a lot of compression fittings.

Andy

But then you'd have to use compression fittings. Anyway, it doesn't buy
many, especially odd ones or 28mm.

--

Roger Hayter