Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Lightweight filler

I need to fill a pretty deep hole in the ceiling. With one fill if at
all possible. Ideally, just some filler that you bung up, and it stays
in place. Any suggestions for the best one for the job (or at least a
pretty good one), please?

It's about 30 cms long, 5-8 cms across, and probably 5 cms deep at the
deepest. (1 foot by 2-3 inches across and 2 inches deep.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 17:43:45 +0000, GB wrote:

I need to fill a pretty deep hole in the ceiling. With one fill if at
all possible. Ideally, just some filler that you bung up, and it stays
in place. Any suggestions for the best one for the job (or at least a
pretty good one), please?

It's about 30 cms long, 5-8 cms across, and probably 5 cms deep at the
deepest. (1 foot by 2-3 inches across and 2 inches deep.)

Consider doing it in 2 or more fills.

I haven't come across anything yet that doesn't shrink a bit when it is
drying/curing.

Slow and steady is probably better in the long run.

Traditional Pollyfilla still does the job well.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

I need to fill a pretty deep hole in the ceiling. With one fill if at
all possible.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/One+Strike+Filler/p20822

When you pick up the tub, you'll swear it's full of Helium. lightly
dampen with a spray bottle before filling, I find it doesn't shrink when
drying even when applied in a single deep filling, though you can "tamp"
it in afterwards and then re-fill with a harder filler if it needs to
withstand knocks, though presumably on a ceiling that's not very relevant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

I need to fill a pretty deep hole in the ceiling. With one fill if at
all possible. Ideally, just some filler that you bung up, and it
stays in place. Any suggestions for the best one for the job (or at
least a pretty good one), please?

It's about 30 cms long, 5-8 cms across, and probably 5 cms deep at
the deepest. (1 foot by 2-3 inches across and 2 inches deep.)

One-coat plaster, preceded with a spray of dilute PVA to stop the
existing structure from sucking the water out of the plaster. Don't try
to get it perfect when you apply it, just get it pretty level and then
I always used to use Polyfilla type stuff for this sort of job, building
up in two or three layers, but I find the one-coat mostly works better,
quicker and cheaper (of course if you have most of a bag of sitting
around unused then this last point may not apply).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

GB wrote:

I need to fill a pretty deep hole in the ceiling. With one fill if at
all possible. Ideally, just some filler that you bung up, and it
stays in place. Any suggestions for the best one for the job (or at
least a pretty good one), please?

It's about 30 cms long, 5-8 cms across, and probably 5 cms deep at
the deepest. (1 foot by 2-3 inches across and 2 inches deep.)

One thing I always do (rightly or wrongly) is turn the rads off in the
room to cool it down as I believe if the room is too hot leading to
rapid drying and more shrinkage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 25/11/2017 18:24, Andy Burns wrote:
GB wrote:

I need to fill a pretty deep hole in the ceiling. With one fill if at
all possible.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/One+Strike+Filler/p20822

When you pick up the tub, you'll swear it's full of Helium.Â* lightly
dampen with a spray bottle before filling, I find it doesn't shrink when
drying even when applied in a single deep filling, though you can "tamp"
it in afterwards and then re-fill with a harder filler if it needs to
withstand knocks, though presumably on a ceiling that's not very relevant.

That looks perfect, thanks. The job is not at home, so I want something
I can apply and just leave it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2017 17:43, GB wrote:
I need to fill a pretty deep hole in the ceiling. With one fill if at
all possible. Ideally, just some filler that you bung up, and it stays
in place. Any suggestions for the best one for the job (or at least a
pretty good one), please?

It's about 30 cms long, 5-8 cms across, and probably 5 cms deep at the
deepest. (1 foot by 2-3 inches across and 2 inches deep.)

Bloody hell what sort of ceiling structure is this? Assuming it is
plaster, rather than concrete, I would probably look to stick in a
suitably shaped bit of plasterboard first, prior to filling with one
coat. Or perhaps fill with scrunched up chicken wire, then plaster of
paris. I'd still expect to need a "finish coat", the modern lightweight
stuff as other posters have said is very good.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 26/11/2017 14:20, newshound wrote:
On 25/11/2017 17:43, GB wrote:
I need to fill a pretty deep hole in the ceiling. With one fill if at
all possible. Ideally, just some filler that you bung up, and it stays
in place. Any suggestions for the best one for the job (or at least a
pretty good one), please?

It's about 30 cms long, 5-8 cms across, and probably 5 cms deep at the
deepest. (1 foot by 2-3 inches across and 2 inches deep.)

Bloody hell what sort of ceiling structure is this? Assuming it is
plaster, rather than concrete, I would probably look to stick in a
suitably shaped bit of plasterboard first, prior to filling with one
coat. Or perhaps fill with scrunched up chicken wire, then plaster of
paris. I'd still expect to need a "finish coat", the modern lightweight
stuff as other posters have said is very good.

It's where a new window was installed. A small chunk of masonry was
hacked out of the window reveal, and the hole was filled with plaster by
the installers. That's lasted about five years (ie long enough for the
installers to be in the clear), and the plaster fell out. Fortunately,
nobody was hurt.

I've been asked to refill it, as there's a bit of a breeze through the
hole. I may have exaggerated the size slightly, but I've bought two 1l
pots of filler, just in case I haven't!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2017 17:43, GB wrote:
[...]

I've never managed a decent finish in one go. Two goes is better, but that's 2 visits I guess
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2017 17:43, GB wrote:
[...]

Experience seems to dffer with the light weight stuff (I assume it is
similar to the B & Q one I used) but more than 12mm on ceiling would sag
too much for me f done in one go. And thick layers take time to harden
trhrough. So I'd definitely go for leaving at least a 6mm gap for a
second coat, preferably more than one day later.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I would want to stick some plasterboard in first.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2017 09:36, DerbyBorn wrote:
I would want to stick some plasterboard in first.

As I suggested. One option, if the OP has some stale finish plaster, is
to glue the plasterboard in place with that, and in half an hour it will
be set solid and can be finished with a couple of millimetres of
one-coat or lightweight filler. Plaster of Paris also sets pretty
quickly. I guess both stale finish and PoP may still move a bit after
they set, because of drying out.

Whatever you do, it does need to be fixed securely, and preferably with
some hidden mechanical keying, to discourage the weighty lump from
falling out eventually, as has already happened once. Lots of potential
ways to do this.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 3:40:27 PM UTC, newshound wrote:
On 27/11/2017 09:36, DerbyBorn wrote:
I would want to stick some plasterboard in first.

As I suggested. One option, if the OP has some stale finish plaster, is
to glue the plasterboard in place with that, and in half an hour it will
be set solid and can be finished with a couple of millimetres of
one-coat or lightweight filler. Plaster of Paris also sets pretty
quickly. I guess both stale finish and PoP may still move a bit after
they set, because of drying out.

Whatever you do, it does need to be fixed securely, and preferably with
some hidden mechanical keying, to discourage the weighty lump from
falling out eventually, as has already happened once. Lots of potential
ways to do this.

2 part Profil from Toolstation goes rock solid almost instantly. Very handy for odds and sods like this
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2017 15:45, stuart noble wrote:
[...]

Got a link? Couldn't find that, but this one part is supposed to set in
half an hour

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p63284?table=no

Or good old car body filler, which gives you a few minutes of working time.

https://www.toolstation.com/search?s...=60837%2096113

although eBay is cheaper

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HB-Body-L...UAAOSwI-BWMKpc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2017 15:56, newshound wrote:

2 part Profil from Toolstation goes rock solid almost instantly. Very
handy for odds and sods like this

Got a link? Couldn't find that, but this one part is supposed to set in
half an hour

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pai...+Filler/p17703

what's "almost instantly" is a matter of judgement but I'd certainly
sign up to "bloody fast"
--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

although eBay is cheaper

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HB-Body-L...UAAOSwI-BWMKpc

Well, yes , but it deteriorates in the tin over time, and 3.5kgs would last me a very long time