Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DECT phones

I have a BT 2000 dect phone with one extension. I could do with a couple
more remote handsets off the one base unit. Am I right in thinking that
other makes or models should be compatible or do I need to stick with
BT? Are 2100 or 2200 likely to be compatible?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2017 15:28, newshound wrote:
I have a BT 2000 dect phone with one extension. I could do with a couple
more remote handsets off the one base unit. Am I right in thinking that
other makes or models should be compatible or do I need to stick with
BT? Are 2100 or 2200 likely to be compatible?

Other makes/models will will compatible with the basic functionality
such as answering or making a phone call. Where they may/will not be
compatible is in base station to handset communication for functions
such as auto setting/syncing of the clock, displaying a common phone
book, reporting that you have an answer-phone message etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2017 15:28, newshound wrote:

I have a BT 2000 dect phone with one extension. I could do with a couple
more remote handsets off the one base unit. Am I right in thinking that
other makes or models should be compatible or do I need to stick with
BT? Are 2100 or 2200 likely to be compatible?

DECT phones are theoretically all inter operable and compatible but if
they deviate from the standard you can get some intercom functions that
don't work. I have a mix of Panasonic and old BT handsets on mine.

You may need to RTFM to bind the other handsets to the existing base
station but I don't recall it being particularly difficult. Slight
advantage in having ones with the same charge docking station if you can
so that the most heavily used phone gets swapped around.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 15:28:24 +0000, newshound
wrote:

I have a BT 2000 dect phone with one extension. I could do with a couple
more remote handsets off the one base unit. Am I right in thinking that
other makes or models should be compatible or do I need to stick with
BT? Are 2100 or 2200 likely to be compatible?

Most phones are compatible with the Generic Access Profile (GAP) (ETSI
standard EN 300 444) and will have basic interoperability so they can
make and receive calls. What may not (usually won't) work are
functions like access to an address book stored in the base station,
intercom and access to the answering machine (if any) in the base
station.

Even within a single manufacturers range there may be little advanced
interoperability between different models/ranges.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2017 15:28, newshound wrote:
I have a BT 2000 dect phone with one extension. I could do with a couple
more remote handsets off the one base unit. Am I right in thinking that
other makes or models should be compatible or do I need to stick with
BT? Are 2100 or 2200 likely to be compatible?

Consider that additional handsets for a specific phone can be difficult
to source at a sensible price. Sometimes it's more cost effective to
ditch the old dual handset system in favour of a new triple or quad
handset deal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 15:39:55 +0000
alan_m wrote:

On 23/11/2017 15:28, newshound wrote:
I have a BT 2000 dect phone with one extension. I could do with a
couple more remote handsets off the one base unit. Am I right in
thinking that other makes or models should be compatible or do I
need to stick with BT? Are 2100 or 2200 likely to be compatible?

Other makes/models will will compatible with the basic functionality
such as answering or making a phone call. Where they may/will not be
compatible is in base station to handset communication for functions
such as auto setting/syncing of the clock, displaying a common phone
book, reporting that you have an answer-phone message etc.

Exactly. I have a Panasonic base and two handsets, and a Philips
handset. It will receive and make calls, but that's about it. And I
can't now set the time locally, and it doesn't sync. with the base!

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

This is a question I was going to ask. I have a telephone with one cordless
unit, its falling to bits basically, and what I wondered was, how can one
tell if the systems are compatible with each other. Seems a bit annoying if
I'd need yet another base station to replace the cordless part of the phone.
Its actually a German phone.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
I have a BT 2000 dect phone with one extension. I could do with a couple
more remote handsets off the one base unit. Am I right in thinking that
other makes or models should be compatible or do I need to stick with BT?
Are 2100 or 2200 likely to be compatible?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

I have a telephone with one cordless unit, its falling to bits
basically, and what I wondered was, how can one tell if the systems
are compatible with each other.

If base station and handset both say they are "GAP compatible" then
basic features should work, but compatibility of fancier features, such
as phone book syncing or answering machine operation, is probably a
lottery, syncing shouldn't be an issue if you just have one handset.

Seems a bit annoying if I'd need yet another base station to replace
the cordless part of the phone. Its actually a German phone.

If you have Siemens base-station, then Gigaset are now the spun-off DECT
arm of Siemens.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff laid this down on his screen :
This is a question I was going to ask. I have a telephone with one cordless
unit, its falling to bits basically, and what I wondered was, how can one
tell if the systems are compatible with each other. Seems a bit annoying if
I'd need yet another base station to replace the cordless part of the phone.
Its actually a German phone.

If it says DECT on it, or in its instructions, it should be workable
with another DECT phone and one base should be usable as a base.
However each type / make / model of phone may need its own charger
base.

Simple answer for full all feature functionality, is to buy a complete
new multi-handset package and drop the old off at a charity shop. I
bought a full set of 4x BT8500, with the built in nuisance caller
filter for £60 on ebay, customer new returns.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/2017 08:56, Brian Gaff wrote:
This is a question I was going to ask. I have a telephone with one cordless
unit, its falling to bits basically, and what I wondered was, how can one
tell if the systems are compatible with each other.

Short answer - you can't. The compatibility with DECT may be just
limited to making and receiving calls. Any other functionality is
likely to be bespoke to the manufacturer. If the phone is just branded
with a badge phones with the brand may not be compatible with each other.

Seems a bit annoying if
I'd need yet another base station to replace the cordless part of the phone.
Its actually a German phone.

As I mentioned before, its often cheaper to buy a new base with 2 or 3
phones than to source just one a new handset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
If you have Siemens base-station, then Gigaset are now the spun-off DECT
arm of Siemens.

Gigaset have a compatibility checker for their various features:

http://www.gigaset.com/en_en/cms/hom...atibility.html

Theo