Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extractor grille - what type?

I need a grille on an exterior wall for a 150mm cooker hood extractor.

The choice is louvred, gravity or cowled.

Which is best?

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-11-23, Clive Arthur wrote:
I need a grille on an exterior wall for a 150mm cooker hood extractor.

The choice is louvred, gravity or cowled.

Which is best?

IME, gravity. Otherwise you get a howling gale back through the hood when
it's switched off.

'IME' is just want I wanted to hear, thank you. Grille ordered, case
closed.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-11-23, Clive Arthur wrote:
I need a grille on an exterior wall for a 150mm cooker hood extractor.

The choice is louvred, gravity or cowled.

Which is best?

IME, gravity. Otherwise you get a howling gale back through the hood when
it's switched off.

'IME' is just want I wanted to hear, thank you.Β* Grille ordered, case
closed.

Cheers

Beware that gravity ones will clack and flap in a howling gale....

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge brought next idea :
IME, gravity. Otherwise you get a howling gale back through the hood when
it's switched off.

I have had a gravity type installed for some 20 years and still working
well. It uses an above centre pivot point, so if the wind blows on it,
it tends to close even tighter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
On 2017-11-23, Clive Arthur wrote:
I need a grille on an exterior wall for a 150mm cooker hood extractor.

The choice is louvred, gravity or cowled.

Which is best?

IME, gravity. Otherwise you get a howling gale back through the hood when
it's switched off.

Hmm.. they also clatter on gusty days:-(

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2017 10:04, Clive Arthur wrote:
I need a grille on an exterior wall for a 150mm cooker hood extractor.

The choice is louvred, gravity or cowled.

Which is best?

Cheers

Best one I installed was a fan that has a grill that opened when the fan
was turned on, and closed when turned off.

Wasn't particularly expensive, but required fitting directly to the wall
- i.e. no ducting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Arthur wrote:

I need a grille on an exterior wall for a 150mm cooker hood extractor.

The choice is louvred, gravity or cowled.

I had a draught problem with my ducted kitchen extractor fan,
which faces west, and fitted a cowl BM424W:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/12-White-Ai.../dp/B00PJ8FNBY

It seems, subjectively, to reduce the effects when high winds are
blowing against it.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 16:23:16 +0000, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Clive Arthur wrote:

I need a grille on an exterior wall for a 150mm cooker hood extractor.

The choice is louvred, gravity or cowled.

I had a draught problem with my ducted kitchen extractor fan,
which faces west, and fitted a cowl BM424W:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/12-White-Ai.../dp/B00PJ8FNBY

It seems, subjectively, to reduce the effects when high winds are
blowing against it.

Chris

I fitted one over the backdraught shutter on an extractor. The outlet is in
the SW wall, so I did it mainly to keep out the weather.
There's still some clattering, but a kitchen extractor probably has heavier
louvres and is lower down.
For fewer beer tokens:
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ele...ir+Cowl/p50375
Brown or white.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/2017 08:51, Brian Gaff wrote:
Also somewhere an insect trap grille might be an idea. Wasps can get in and
nest.

I had an extractor with a chunk of glass wool or similar behind the
inside grill, which collected dust so I removed it. Most of the
(gravity) louvres on the outside grill had fallen off. I expect it was
to stop insects, but there was a 15' duct so I don't suppose many would
have been so adventurous. Wasps might have made a nest /inside/ the duct
I suppose.

--
Max Demian

new project, jeep grille guard wallster Metalworking 4 June 23rd 05 09:41 PM
Is stainless steel ok for a BBQ grille? MarkMc UK diy 7 April 13th 05 09:02 PM
Raised Mesh for BBQ Grille hs UK diy 2 March 28th 05 01:59 AM
Storing a Gas Grille Scott Home Repair 6 January 5th 05 11:39 PM
Seeking Double Hung Window Grille Clips Jeff Wisnia Home Repair 1 September 4th 04 04:44 PM