Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Everything has a purpose - except...

On most laptops, they have a molded on the power cable close to the
plug, where it plugs into the laptop, a small C-clip which clips onto
the cable diameter perfectly. Except I have never found a useful
purpose for the clip in all the time I have been using them - anyone
know?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
On most laptops, they have a molded on the power cable close to the plug,
where it plugs into the laptop, a small C-clip which clips onto the cable
diameter perfectly. Except I have never found a useful purpose for the
clip in all the time I have been using them - anyone know?

Could it be to fasten the cable back onto itself in a loop to act as strain
relief, to provide some cushioning so movement of the charger on a taut
cable doesn't bend the cable close to the moulded-on plug or pull it out?

Or is it so you can clip the plug end to the charger end when you are
packing up the charger to put in your laptop bag?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 13:38:20 -0000, "NY" wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
On most laptops, they have a molded on the power cable close to the plug,
where it plugs into the laptop, a small C-clip which clips onto the cable
diameter perfectly. Except I have never found a useful purpose for the
clip in all the time I have been using them - anyone know?

Could it be to fasten the cable back onto itself in a loop to act as strain
relief, to provide some cushioning so movement of the charger on a taut
cable doesn't bend the cable close to the moulded-on plug or pull it out?

I don't think it's that.

Or is it so you can clip the plug end to the charger end when you are
packing up the charger to put in your laptop bag?

It's more likely to be that ... an alternative to the Velcro strap.

I rarely use either as they often put excessive bend in the cable
where it exits the PSU, causing the wires to fracture at that point
(not so bad for the mains lead as they can often be replaced as they
plug in).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No but many do wonder what the solid bit is on many power supplies on the
lead. its a feeble attempt to get rid of RF radiation from either the laptop
or the psu. In my experience it takes more than a ferrite ring or two to
snuff out the crap most things put out these days.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
On most laptops, they have a molded on the power cable close to the plug,
where it plugs into the laptop, a small C-clip which clips onto the cable
diameter perfectly. Except I have never found a useful purpose for the
clip in all the time I have been using them - anyone know?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 22/11/2017, Tim Streater supposed :
Shirley it's gonna be so when the cable is not in use, you can coil it
up and clip the two ends together.

My MacBook Air has such a clip on the cable at the magsafe connector
end. I wrap the cable round the charger and clip the end to another
part of the cable. Stops it unwinding.

I think that has to be the answer, but I never thought to try using it
for that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/11/2017 17:16, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

On most laptops, they have a molded on the power cable close to the
plug, where it plugs into the laptop, a small C-clip which clips onto
the cable diameter perfectly. Except I have never found a useful
purpose for the clip in all the time I have been using them - anyone
know?

Shirley it's gonna be so when the cable is not in use, you can coil it
up and clip the two ends together.

My MacBook Air has such a clip on the cable at the magsafe connector
end. I wrap the cable round the charger and clip the end to another
part of the cable. Stops it unwinding.

Exactly. In fact some of the Mac chargers are quite smart, with the
velcro and the C clip you can organise them so that spare mains and DC
cable is wound up neatly so that if you have a socket close to your
laptop site, the "plug to plug" dimension is optimised.