Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Reattaching a wall cupboard to plasterboard wall

I have been asked to reattach a kitchen high up wall cupboard that has fallen off the wall

The cupboard was attached to a wall which as far as I can see consists entirely of plasterboard and it was attached at each of the two back corners using plasterboard fixings which have simply pulled out of the wall because of the weight of the cupboard.

I have yet to closely to examine the wall to find out if there are any wooden uprights behind the plasterboard panel, but my initial exploration by tapping the wall seems to suggest that there is absolutely no woodwork anywhere behind the plasterboard in the area in which the cupboard needs to be attached.

I'm going to start off my exploration by drilling lots of small holes across the panel of plasterboard to try and find some solid upright piece of wood behind the plasterboard.

I'd like to support this cupboard using a long strip of wood at the back of the cupboard just under the top edge but my problem is how to attach this to a wall which is so insubstantial.

Irrespective of whether I find any wooden uprights behind the plasterboard I'm thinking that I could screw a large piece of plywood to the wall roughly the same size as the cupboard and at the top of this piece of ply I could attach a strip of wood which will support the cupboard, I am hoping that the plywood would distribute the weight of the cupboard sufficiently to allow the strip of wood to hold the weight of the cupboard.

I would plan to cut a strip out of the back panel of the cupboard with my multi tool to allow the strip of wood on the wall to come into the back of the cupboard just below the top panel then I'd screw the top panel to the piece of wood with some screws going through top panel

I'm wondering what people think of my idea and whether there are any better suggestions

An added complicating factor in the story is that I don't have anybody to help me do this so I need to get something screwed to the wall which will be ready just to receive the cupboard in one go instead of having to mess about holding it up and adjusting etc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/17 12:29, Murmansk wrote:
I have been asked to reattach a kitchen high up wall cupboard that has fallen off the wall

The cupboard was attached to a wall which as far as I can see consists entirely of plasterboard and it was attached at each of the two back corners using plasterboard fixings which have simply pulled out of the wall because of the weight of the cupboard.

Could the wall be dot and dab onto brick/block? If so, I know what you
need (and so do a few others).

You'll find hard bits by tapping every 40-50cm in seemingly random places.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2017 12:29, Murmansk wrote:

I'd like to support this cupboard using a long strip of wood at the back of the cupboard just under the top edge but my problem is how to attach this to a wall which is so insubstantial.

IME it is normally easier to put a batten under the *bottom* edge.
Although this will subsequently be visible, it may be a useful place to
put cup hooks to hang kitchen spoons, spatulas, etc.

The point is, with a strong bottom edge fitting you can rest the
cupboard on that and then either a reliable (but not necessarily strong)
pair of hands to hold it on the ledge while you fit something at the top
to hold it in place. Or you can even use props of some sort.

Others will comment on how to fit the batten. There are now quite good
plasterboard fittings, especially if it is 18 mm board. Finding
concealed battens, if there are any, is another option although
*personally* I would try to drill through them into the wall behind.
Similar for dot and dab. Recognising that this is more difficult if it
is a random stone wall.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2017 12:29, Murmansk wrote:

I would plan to cut a strip out of the back panel of the cupboard with my multi tool to allow the strip of wood on the wall to come into the back of the cupboard just below the top panel then I'd screw the top panel to the piece of wood with some screws going through top panel

What about a French cleat to spread the load

https://youtu.be/szad36MmvQQ?t=74

I seen some metal versions which are very thin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
On 14/11/17 12:29, Murmansk wrote:
I have been asked to reattach a kitchen high up wall cupboard that has fallen off the wall

The cupboard was attached to a wall which as far as I can see consists entirely of plasterboard and it was attached at each of the two back corners using plasterboard fixings which have simply pulled out of the wall because of the weight of the cupboard.

Could the wall be dot and dab onto brick/block? If so, I know what you
need (and so do a few others).

Longer screws & plugs?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

newshound Wrote in message:
On 14/11/2017 12:29, Murmansk wrote:

I'd like to support this cupboard using a long strip of wood at the back of the cupboard just under the top edge but my problem is how to attach this to a wall which is so insubstantial.

IME it is normally easier to put a batten under the *bottom* edge.
Although this will subsequently be visible, it may be a useful place to
put cup hooks to hang kitchen spoons, spatulas, etc.

The point is, with a strong bottom edge fitting you can rest the
cupboard on that and then either a reliable (but not necessarily strong)
pair of hands to hold it on the ledge while you fit something at the top
to hold it in place. Or you can even use props of some sort.

Others will comment on how to fit the batten. There are now quite good
plasterboard fittings, especially if it is 18 mm board. Finding

18mm plasterboard? Er...?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Murmansk, Iggy wrote:
I wouldn't do almost any of that. You can drill a large hole (25-38mm) with a
hole saw or a thinner slot of smaller vertical drill holes, then slip your
tape measure in to run to any wood. But, I'd probably even skip that and just
go with Toggle Bolts (
http://www.diy.com/departments/diall...1511943_BQ.prd
).

These, make for an extremely easy 1-person install and are very secure on
plasterboard. Position and just hold the cabinet in place on the wall and
drill through the cabinet and plasterboard. Drop the cabinet and insert the
toggle-screws and toggle bolts on the end of the screws.

Now, re-drill the plasterboard holes to accept the toggles and re-position the
cabinet on the wall by simply pushing the screws to send the toggles to the
other side of the plasterboard. Snug-up (still loose) the screws so you can
plumb, shim, level, attach to another cabinet or whatever. Once all set, then
fully tighten the screws.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...l-1249506-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 12:29:57 PM UTC, Murmansk wrote:
[...]

Belt and braces would be to fix a batten top and bottom and screw through the top of the cupboard into the top batten

These full width battens can be sucured with numerous screws set in plasterboard fixings.Google plasterboard fixings. There;s plenty of choice.

I'd also like to know what was being stored in the cupboard when it fell. We had a case where some genius was storing full ream boxes of single sheet colour leaflets.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

In these cases I would do the following:

Enlarge holes where screws have torn out to about hand sized.

Stuff cavity below the hole with balled up newspaper - Guaedian is
perfect if there is any left over from wiping your arse.

Fill cavity with car body filler completeley for a sane area and make
sure it sticks to the back of the void.

when nearly set sand down and then paint to make good the wall surface

Drill for screws and reattach the cupboard. Do not tighten

Have a cuppa

Tighten, invoice and go.

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 14 November 2017 12:29:57 UTC, Murmansk wrote:
I have yet to closely to examine the wall to find out if there are any
wooden uprights behind the plasterboard panel, but my initial exploration by
tapping the wall seems to suggest that there is absolutely no woodwork
anywhere behind the plasterboard in the area in which the cupboard needs to
be attached.

You can get kitchen cupboard wall hanging rail eg
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390522858190

Another option is to drill right through the wall and have a batten on the other side. Obviously this doesn't work so well on external walls, or party walls in semi-detached houses.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all those replies, they've given me plenty of good ideas to think about. I think I will start off by using my multitool to make the holes where the plasterboard fixings were much bigger so I can see what is behind the plasterboard in general and behind the holes in particular.

I'll then look at trying to fit a couple of resin fixings into the wall behind the plasterboard - I'll either attach the cupboard to them directly or use them to secure a batten to which I'll attach the cupboard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Might one ask what is on the other side of this wall and how thick it
actually is. I've come across some awful bodges in part walls which seem to
defy gravity even without a cupboard on them.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Murmansk" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 14 November 2017 18:46:12 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
Might one ask what is on the other side of this wall and how thick it
actually is. I've come across some awful bodges in part walls which seem to
defy gravity even without a cupboard on them.
Brian

Knowing the walls of the houses round here it'll probably be a wall made of rubble, 23 inches thick with miscellaneous pebbles, rocks, stones and other rubbish covered in a layer of plaster about 4 inches thick!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/17 14:08, jim wrote:
Tim Watts Wrote in message:
On 14/11/17 12:29, Murmansk wrote:
I have been asked to reattach a kitchen high up wall cupboard that has fallen off the wall

The cupboard was attached to a wall which as far as I can see consists entirely of plasterboard and it was attached at each of the two back corners using plasterboard fixings which have simply pulled out of the wall because of the weight of the cupboard.

Could the wall be dot and dab onto brick/block? If so, I know what you
need (and so do a few others).

Longer screws & plugs?

Better suited plugs:

http://www.drylinepro.com/

or for super nuclear use:

http://buyrigifixonline.co.uk/

Used both, both are excellent.

In the former case, a frame fixing also works in a similar fashion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just in case anyone cares I can tell you that I cut a few holes in the plasterboard with a multitool and discovered that it's a stud wall and there are indeed wooden studs which I'd not detected by tapping - but the two sets of fixings for the cupboard are not fixed to them.

My plan is to cut out some plasterboard and insert a piece of timber at the level of the fixings using cross halving joints and I'll attach the cupboard to that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2017 14:09, jim wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
On 14/11/2017 12:29, Murmansk wrote:

I'd like to support this cupboard using a long strip of wood at the back of the cupboard just under the top edge but my problem is how to attach this to a wall which is so insubstantial.

IME it is normally easier to put a batten under the *bottom* edge.
Although this will subsequently be visible, it may be a useful place to
put cup hooks to hang kitchen spoons, spatulas, etc.

The point is, with a strong bottom edge fitting you can rest the
cupboard on that and then either a reliable (but not necessarily strong)
pair of hands to hold it on the ledge while you fit something at the top
to hold it in place. Or you can even use props of some sort.

Others will comment on how to fit the batten. There are now quite good
plasterboard fittings, especially if it is 18 mm board. Finding

18mm plasterboard? Er...?

Sorry, been working with plywood all day. Of course I mean 12 mm rather
than 9 mm. And I was thinking of Gripits, only I couldn't remember the name.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2017 19:06, Murmansk wrote:
On Tuesday, 14 November 2017 18:46:12 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
Might one ask what is on the other side of this wall and how thick it
actually is. I've come across some awful bodges in part walls which seem to
defy gravity even without a cupboard on them.
Brian

Knowing the walls of the houses round here it'll probably be a wall made of rubble, 23 inches thick with miscellaneous pebbles, rocks, stones and other rubbish covered in a layer of plaster about 4 inches thick!

Ah one of them. Mine too, and particularly bad for the top six feet or
so. I had to put in a corner shelf for the kids, to take a 23 inch CRT
TV and video player. More failed than successful fixings in that, even
based on a couple of big bits of 18 mm ply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

jim wrote:

18mm plasterboard? Er...?

Sorry, been working with plywood all day. Of course I mean 12 mm rather
than 9 mm.

Well you *can* get 19mm plasterboard in 2'x8' plank format.