Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Reattaching a wall cupboard to plasterboard wall

Might one ask what is on the other side of this wall and how thick it
actually is. I've come across some awful bodges in part walls which seem to
defy gravity even without a cupboard on them.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Murmansk" wrote in message
I have been asked to reattach a kitchen high up wall cupboard that has
fallen off the wall

The cupboard was attached to a wall which as far as I can see consists
entirely of plasterboard and it was attached at each of the two back corners
using plasterboard fixings which have simply pulled out of the wall because
of the weight of the cupboard.

I have yet to closely to examine the wall to find out if there are any
wooden uprights behind the plasterboard panel, but my initial exploration by
tapping the wall seems to suggest that there is absolutely no woodwork
anywhere behind the plasterboard in the area in which the cupboard needs to
be attached.

I'm going to start off my exploration by drilling lots of small holes across
the panel of plasterboard to try and find some solid upright piece of wood
behind the plasterboard.

I'd like to support this cupboard using a long strip of wood at the back of
the cupboard just under the top edge but my problem is how to attach this to
a wall which is so insubstantial.

Irrespective of whether I find any wooden uprights behind the plasterboard
I'm thinking that I could screw a large piece of plywood to the wall roughly
the same size as the cupboard and at the top of this piece of ply I could
attach a strip of wood which will support the cupboard, I am hoping that the
plywood would distribute the weight of the cupboard sufficiently to allow
the strip of wood to hold the weight of the cupboard.

I would plan to cut a strip out of the back panel of the cupboard with my
multi tool to allow the strip of wood on the wall to come into the back of
the cupboard just below the top panel then I'd screw the top panel to the
piece of wood with some screws going through top panel

I'm wondering what people think of my idea and whether there are any better
suggestions

An added complicating factor in the story is that I don't have anybody to
help me do this so I need to get something screwed to the wall which will be
ready just to receive the cupboard in one go instead of having to mess about
holding it up and adjusting etc