Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Creaking rocking chair

My sister-in-law has a rocking chair that creaks annoyingly.

See picture for mechanism:

https://ibb.co/ncvMaw

So far as I can see the bolt has a spring around it that controls the rocking mechanism. She has tried oiling it to no effect.

Would greasing the spring work?

Any thoughts welcome.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2017 15:55, Jonathan wrote:
My sister-in-law has a rocking chair that creaks annoyingly.

See picture for mechanism:

https://ibb.co/ncvMaw

So far as I can see the bolt has a spring around it that controls the rocking mechanism. She has tried oiling it to no effect.

Would greasing the spring work?

Any thoughts welcome.

Jonathan

Depends where the noise is coming from. If the spring doesn't have parts
that rub, chances are that isn't the noise source. Looking at the photo,
the wooden parts seem to 'roll' over each other. Grease probably isn't
good on wood. Talc powder is an old fashioned cure under creaking floor
boards, you could try that or French Chalk.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 07:55:29 -0800 (PST)
Jonathan wrote:

My sister-in-law has a rocking chair that creaks annoyingly.

See picture for mechanism:

https://ibb.co/ncvMaw

So far as I can see the bolt has a spring around it that controls the
rocking mechanism. She has tried oiling it to no effect.

Would greasing the spring work?

Any thoughts welcome.

It doesn't look like it's the original bolt - if it's under-size it
might be moving in a hole where it should be snug.
There's probably a metal insert between the spring and the wood,
greasing that might help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 07:55:29 -0800 (PST), Jonathan wrote:

So far as I can see the bolt has a spring around it that controls the
rocking mechanism. She has tried oiling it to no effect.

You use the word "creak", metal on metal tends to "squeak". You
really need to track down where the vibration/stiction causing the
audible creak is orginating. This may not be the same, or near, the
place the sound appears to coem from. If you have a nice long
screwdriver use it as a probe to find the real source. Place the end
of the handle against an ear and keep it there whilst you touch
various parts of the chair and listen as some one reproduces the
creak. When you find it it wil be loud and clear, further away
quieter, muffled or inaudible via the probe.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09-Nov-17 4:05 PM, Brian Reay wrote:
On 09/11/2017 15:55, Jonathan wrote:
My sister-in-law has a rocking chair that creaks annoyingly.

See picture for mechanism:

https://ibb.co/ncvMaw

So far as I can see the bolt has a spring around it that controls the
rocking mechanism. She has tried oiling it to no effect.

Would greasing the spring work?

Any thoughts welcome.

Jonathan

Depends where the noise is coming from. If the spring doesn't have parts
that rub, chances are that isn't the noise source. Looking at the photo,
the wooden parts seem to 'roll' over each other. Grease probably isn't
good on wood. Talc powder is an old fashioned cure under creaking floor
boards, you could try that or French Chalk.

Beeswax is the traditional lubricant for wooden drawer runners. It is
probably more persistent than a powder.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are you sure its the mechanism itself and not part of the support structure
itself?
Brian

--
----- -