Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default Creaking rocking chair

On 09-Nov-17 4:05 PM, Brian Reay wrote:
On 09/11/2017 15:55, Jonathan wrote:
My sister-in-law has a rocking chair that creaks annoyingly.

See picture for mechanism:

https://ibb.co/ncvMaw

So far as I can see the bolt has a spring around it that controls the
rocking mechanism. She has tried oiling it to no effect.

Would greasing the spring work?

Any thoughts welcome.

Jonathan

Depends where the noise is coming from. If the spring doesn't have parts
that rub, chances are that isn't the noise source. Looking at the photo,
the wooden parts seem to 'roll' over each other. Grease probably isn't
good on wood. Talc powder is an old fashioned cure under creaking floor
boards, you could try that or French Chalk.

Beeswax is the traditional lubricant for wooden drawer runners. It is
probably more persistent than a powder.

Colin Bignell