Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BBC1 Getting the Builders in

Anybody else watching this series?

Each programme follows a couple of small household refurbs. Three
builders quote for each, one is chosen, and does the job.

Moderately interesting, quite a range of jobs and builders, and
some results better than others.

I reckon that the missing bit is getting those who do the job to
admit what their actual materials cost and man-hours worked
turned out to be, so we could discover if they were simply buying
themselves the job, and judge how representative their pricing
was.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris J Dixon
writes
Anybody else watching this series?

Not knowingly. I tend to watch this sort of programme hoping to learn
something useful.

My criticism of Grand Designs etc. is that the format is focused on the
human interest angle rather than exploring how jobs are managed and what
materials are best.

Each programme follows a couple of small household refurbs. Three
builders quote for each, one is chosen, and does the job.

Moderately interesting, quite a range of jobs and builders, and
some results better than others.

I reckon that the missing bit is getting those who do the job to
admit what their actual materials cost and man-hours worked
turned out to be, so we could discover if they were simply buying
themselves the job, and judge how representative their pricing
was.

Chris

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
My criticism of Grand Designs etc. is that the format is focused on the
human interest angle rather than exploring how jobs are managed and what
materials are best.

Grand Designs tends to be the least of the offenders in this respect. But
sadly every TV producer seems to find it necessary to introduce a 'human
interest' thread to all such progs. I'm waiting for one with a amputee war
veteran with cancer who is also pregnant although gay, but battles on
regardless. Should tick all the boxes in one go.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
My criticism of Grand Designs etc. is that the format is focused on the
human interest angle rather than exploring how jobs are managed and what
materials are best.

Grand Designs tends to be the least of the offenders in this respect. But
sadly every TV producer seems to find it necessary to introduce a 'human
interest' thread to all such progs. I'm waiting for one with a amputee war
veteran with cancer who is also pregnant although gay, but battles on
regardless. Should tick all the boxes in one go.

What about the race one?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:

On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 13:50:44 +0000, Chris J Dixon wrote:

I reckon that the missing bit is getting those who do the job to admit
what their actual materials cost and man-hours worked turned out to be,
so we could discover if they were simply buying themselves the job, and
judge how representative their pricing was.

I suspect there's a lot more missing that that ...

builders who never turned up to quote, despite assuring you they will be
there "later".

builders who turned up, and then never submitted a quote

builders who turned up, submitted a quote that was accepted and then are
never actually seen on the job again, except to drop off the "crew" and
collect the cash. Always on their mobile to the next job

builders who never quite finish the job, despite having the payment

and that's before the builders who turn up and tell you the last builders
were cowboys

Those are some of *my* experiences over the past 15 years.

The programme is a lot more controlled than that. They have
several tame teams of builders, whose initial visits are all
filmed on the same day. They quote on the spot and are chosen by
nightfall.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
The programme is a lot more controlled than that. They have
several tame teams of builders, whose initial visits are all
filmed on the same day. They quote on the spot and are chosen by
nightfall.

Of course. It would be far too costly to have a camera crew hanging around
for when a builder found it convenient to call and quote.

--
*If God dropped acid, would he see people?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
builders who never quite finish the job, despite having the payment

Rule 1. Never pay fully for any job like this until finished. Stage
payments for materials, etc are OK with a small firm.

--
*WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/17 14:37, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Jethro_uk wrote:

[...]

So, next time I need some building work, I should borrow somebody with a
light, bubbly, "blond" female voice and ring up:

Hi, This is Reep[1]
The Getting the Builders[2] production company.
In series two we are changing tap washers/fitting a toilet/painting a
ceiling/building an extensioninsert or delete as applicable at insert
my address here so if you'd like to be on the show, just turn up to
quote at 8am tomorrow morning.
Thank you!

Nick
[1]See what I did there?
[2]and there?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/17 13:50, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Anybody else watching this series?

Each programme follows a couple of small household refurbs. Three
builders quote for each, one is chosen, and does the job.

Moderately interesting, quite a range of jobs and builders, and
some results better than others.

I reckon that the missing bit is getting those who do the job to
admit what their actual materials cost and man-hours worked
turned out to be, so we could discover if they were simply buying
themselves the job, and judge how representative their pricing
was.

Chris

In cambridge one can for the first time in decades smell coal being
burnt in open fires.

So 'eco friendly'

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

ۥ Confucius
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/17 14:08, Tim Lamb wrote:
My criticism of Grand Designs etc. is that the format is focused on the
human interest angle rather than exploring

My criticism of teh whole BBCetc. is that the format is focused on the
human interest angle rather than exploring facts.

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

ۥ Confucius

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 09/11/17 14:08, Tim Lamb wrote:
My criticism of Grand Designs etc. is that the format is focused on
the human interest angle rather than exploring

My criticism of teh whole BBCetc. is that the format is focused on the
human interest angle rather than exploring facts.

Grand Designs is Ch4, Turnip. But don't let that stop you having one of
your usual pointless rants.

--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote
Chris J Dixon wrote

Anybody else watching this series?

Not knowingly. I tend to watch this sort of
programme hoping to learn something useful.

My criticism of Grand Designs etc. is that the format is
focused on the human interest angle rather than exploring
how jobs are managed and what materials are best.

Not always, particularly with the self managed projects.

Each programme follows a couple of small household refurbs.
Three builders quote for each, one is chosen, and does the job.

Chosen on what basis ? Bet the quote is different to what the
general public would get, to get them on the program etc.

Moderately interesting, quite a range of jobs and
builders, and some results better than others.

I reckon that the missing bit is getting those who do the job to
admit what their actual materials cost and man-hours worked
turned out to be, so we could discover if they were simply buying
themselves the job, and judge how representative their pricing was.

True.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Tim Lamb wrote

My criticism of Grand Designs etc. is that the format is
focused on the human interest angle rather than exploring
how jobs are managed and what materials are best.

Grand Designs tends to be the least of the offenders in this respect.
But sadly every TV producer seems to find it necessary to introduce
a 'human interest' thread to all such progs. I'm waiting for one with
a amputee war veteran with cancer who is also pregnant although
gay, but battles on regardless. Should tick all the boxes in one go.

Nope, needs to be some obscure race like mongolian etc too.

And while that clothes horse, McCloud is mostly
not very irritating, the silly bugger feels the need
for a new set of clothes for every episode
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Tim Lamb wrote
Chris J Dixon wrote

Anybody else watching this series?

Not knowingly. I tend to watch this sort of programme hoping to learn
something useful.

My criticism of Grand Designs etc. is that the format is focused on the
human interest angle rather than exploring how jobs are managed and what
materials are best.

Not always, particularly with the self managed projects.
Each programme follows a couple of small household refurbs. Three
builders quote for each, one is chosen, and does the job.

Chosen on what basis ? Bet the quote is different to what the general
public would get, to get them on the program etc.

Homes under the Hammer is good for this

you often see whole houses being refurbished (by a contractor) for less than
my sister could get a quote for a bathroom refit

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Anybody else watching this series?

Each programme follows a couple of small household refurbs. Three
builders quote for each, one is chosen, and does the job.

Moderately interesting, quite a range of jobs and builders, and
some results better than others.

I've only seen a couple of these

but has anybody "negotiated" an alternative to the proposed solutions?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 9 November 2017 19:06:34 UTC, tim... wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Tim Lamb wrote
Chris J Dixon wrote

Anybody else watching this series?

Not knowingly. I tend to watch this sort of programme hoping to learn
something useful.

My criticism of Grand Designs etc. is that the format is focused on the
human interest angle rather than exploring how jobs are managed and what
materials are best.

Not always, particularly with the self managed projects.
Each programme follows a couple of small household refurbs. Three
builders quote for each, one is chosen, and does the job.

Chosen on what basis ? Bet the quote is different to what the general
public would get, to get them on the program etc.

Homes under the Hammer is good for this

you often see whole houses being refurbished (by a contractor) for less than
my sister could get a quote for a bathroom refit

tim

The Free TV Advertising makes up for any money lost.
It's like that antiques program where they rush round buying stuff to resell.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:

[...]

There yah go!
http://www.itv.com/beontv

JustGoogle "be on TV"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 9 November 2017 16:09:13 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 09/11/17 13:50, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Anybody else watching this series?

Each programme follows a couple of small household refurbs. Three
builders quote for each, one is chosen, and does the job.

Moderately interesting, quite a range of jobs and builders, and
some results better than others.

I reckon that the missing bit is getting those who do the job to
admit what their actual materials cost and man-hours worked
turned out to be, so we could discover if they were simply buying
themselves the job, and judge how representative their pricing
was.

Chris

In cambridge one can for the first time in decades smell coal being
burnt in open fires.

So 'eco friendly'

Poles. It's normal for them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2017 14:49, harry wrote:

The Free TV Advertising makes up for any money lost.
It's like that antiques program where they rush round buying stuff to resell.

There are two types of programs like this
i) the dealer selling the object knows the profit is going to charity
and therefore prices it at an unrealistically low value and/or foregoes
any profit himself
ii) where those not in the trade negotiate a best price and then usually
sell it on at a loss.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Anybody else watching this series?

Each programme follows a couple of small household refurbs. Three
builders quote for each, one is chosen, and does the job.

Moderately interesting, quite a range of jobs and builders, and
some results better than others.

I've only seen a couple of these

Yeah, I torrented 7 and have watch a couple.
Not very popular at all, one hasn't got
any of it yet and the other only 30%

Not much of a series IMO.

but has anybody "negotiated" an alternative to the proposed solutions?

Not in the first two I have watched.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Thursday, 9 November 2017 19:06:34 UTC, tim... wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Tim Lamb wrote
Chris J Dixon wrote

[...]

there's no advertising value of you have no idea who the contractor was

tim