Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default BBC1 Getting the Builders in

In message , Chris J Dixon
writes
Anybody else watching this series?

Not knowingly. I tend to watch this sort of programme hoping to learn
something useful.

My criticism of Grand Designs etc. is that the format is focused on the
human interest angle rather than exploring how jobs are managed and what
materials are best.

Each programme follows a couple of small household refurbs. Three
builders quote for each, one is chosen, and does the job.

Moderately interesting, quite a range of jobs and builders, and
some results better than others.

I reckon that the missing bit is getting those who do the job to
admit what their actual materials cost and man-hours worked
turned out to be, so we could discover if they were simply buying
themselves the job, and judge how representative their pricing
was.

Chris

--
Tim Lamb