Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default BBC1 Getting the Builders in

On Thursday, 9 November 2017 15:59:21 UTC, Nick Odell wrote:
On 09/11/17 14:37, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Jethro_uk wrote:

On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 13:50:44 +0000, Chris J Dixon wrote:

I reckon that the missing bit is getting those who do the job to admit
what their actual materials cost and man-hours worked turned out to be,
so we could discover if they were simply buying themselves the job, and
judge how representative their pricing was.

I suspect there's a lot more missing that that ...

builders who never turned up to quote, despite assuring you they will be
there "later".

builders who turned up, and then never submitted a quote

builders who turned up, submitted a quote that was accepted and then are
never actually seen on the job again, except to drop off the "crew" and
collect the cash. Always on their mobile to the next job

builders who never quite finish the job, despite having the payment

and that's before the builders who turn up and tell you the last builders
were cowboys

Those are some of *my* experiences over the past 15 years.

The programme is a lot more controlled than that. They have
several tame teams of builders, whose initial visits are all
filmed on the same day. They quote on the spot and are chosen by
nightfall.

So, next time I need some building work, I should borrow somebody with a
light, bubbly, "blond" female voice and ring up:

Hi, This is Reep[1]
The Getting the Builders[2] production company.
In series two we are changing tap washers/fitting a toilet/painting a
ceiling/building an extensioninsert or delete as applicable at insert
my address here so if you'd like to be on the show, just turn up to
quote at 8am tomorrow morning.
Thank you!

Nick
[1]See what I did there?