Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I think I'm doomed with foam

When I was using a lot of foam (replacing all windows/doors) I had a
decent foam gun, and kept it cleaned after each usage, no problems.

Then when I started using it less frequently it started to get "gummed
up" between uses, so I stripped it down, it was ok again for a bit, I
tried leaving it with the foam can attached rather than
stripping/cleaning, and that ended-up completely blocked, stripped it
down again, and after the next time, gave up on the gun.

Instead I bought a hand-held can and a bunch of replacement nozzles,
used it once, discarded nozzle, cleaned the spout of the can with
acetone then left it stored upright, indoors.

Just came to use some a couple of months later, went to shake the can
and "uh-oh that feels almost solid" gave it a vigorous shake anyway,
didn't really do any good, attach nozzle but when pressed down not even
a dribble would come out.

So it becomes expensive to use in small quantities ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hang on, surely it should not go solid as the pressure is pushing out not
sucking air in, unless the cleaning of the nozzle made it leak the
propellant out and the air then got in.
Sounds like that could be dangerous as it expands and might then presumably
burst out of the can.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

surely it should not go solid as the pressure is pushing out not
sucking air in,

In the past, I've thought storing a part-used can inverted might be
better, as the gas couldn't leak out without it being noticeable, but
apparently storing upright is the correct way.

unless the cleaning of the nozzle made it leak the
propellant out and the air then got in.

some foam (probably dissolved by acetone to make a thin "glue" before
the acetone evaporated had created a seal around the nozzle on the can,
I had to press it firmly to break that.

Sounds like that could be dangerous as it expands and might then presumably
burst out of the can.

The can isn't under any extreme of pressure, it has some give when
gripping it firmly, the contents aren't fully solid, but it seems
there's a "plug" of cured foam above the liquid and whatever gas remains.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 November 2017 15:46:17 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

[...]

A nail should free it then

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A nail should free it then

And foam everywhere if it does.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 November 2017 17:32:15 UTC, Tricky Dicky wrote:
A nail should free it then

And foam everywhere if it does.

Richard

shhhhh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Andy Burns, Iggy wrote:
Don't clean nor take anything apart and let a big blob seal off the end of the
nozzle/tube. When you need it again, in the same day or week, then cut the
blob off with a bit of nozzle/tube. If it's months later, then you'll need to
replace the nozzle/tube...I've had success with this for a can up a year old.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...m-1247259-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Iggy wrote:

Don't clean nor take anything apart and let a big blob seal off the end of the
nozzle/tube. When you need it again, in the same day or week, then cut the
blob off with a bit of nozzle/tube. If it's months later, then you'll need to
replace the nozzle/tube...I've had success with this for a can up a year old.

The instructions recommend finishing the can off within one hour!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Andy Burns, Iggy wrote:
I'm sure they do. But, the stuff won't cure unless exposed to air. Treat it
like caulk, mustard, plasterboard compound or glue and it'll stay viable.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...m-1247259-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Iggy m Wrote in
message:
replying to Andy Burns, Iggy wrote:
I'm sure they do. But, the stuff won't cure unless exposed to air.

Except it's moisture cured Einstein...

Ps When are the Stooges reforming?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 November 2017 13:38:45 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
[...]

The foam is expelled by means of gas. The gas leaks out over time so the cans have a shelf life. Buy them when you need them. There are various sizes.

The foam sets by means of atmospheric moisture, so it won't set in the can.
If gas is lost, you just get a gummy liquid out. Good as a glue but no foam.