Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Break down caustic soda once set

*I poured biiling water . Left for 5 minutes then blasted it with my titan
wet/dry vacuum. It worked first time * amazing vacuum it works for lots of
stuff and has the reverse button to blow

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...t-1247114-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Michelle Bramley, Iggy wrote:
Yep, that's good stuff! They make Hydro-Jets that do the same thing, but those
let you control and boost the blast.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...t-1247114-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michelle Bramley m
wrote:

*I poured biiling water . Left for 5 minutes then blasted it with my titan
wet/dry vacuum. It worked first time * amazing vacuum it works for lots of
stuff and has the reverse button to blow

It is a bit of a mystery to me how you cause caustic soda to "set" in
the first place, or why. It's pretty soluble in water isn't it?

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2017 17:16, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 03 Nov 2017 16:51:27 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

Michelle Bramley m
wrote:

*I poured biiling water . Left for 5 minutes then blasted it with my
titan wet/dry vacuum. It worked first time * amazing vacuum it works
for lots of stuff and has the reverse button to blow

It is a bit of a mystery to me how you cause caustic soda to "set" in
the first place, or why. It's pretty soluble in water isn't it?

I have a vague memory that if you drop a lot in at once, more complex
chemistry happens which will form an impermeable skin, preventing
complete dissolution. A little like aluminium oxide protecting aluminium
from corrosion.

That is certainly the apparent behaviour if you dump granules in an
excess of cold water. I'm not sure it is actually an impermeable skin
with different chemistry.

The correct way to make a strong solution is to put the granules in a
small quantity of water, ideally in something like a round bottomed
flask. It rapidly gets up to near boiling point and dissolves, at which
point you can add more if required, finally diluting to the required
concentration.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 3 November 2017 16:51:30 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
Michelle Bramley m
wrote:

*I poured biiling water . Left for 5 minutes then blasted it with my titan
wet/dry vacuum. It worked first time * amazing vacuum it works for lots of
stuff and has the reverse button to blow

It is a bit of a mystery to me how you cause caustic soda to "set" in
the first place, or why. It's pretty soluble in water isn't it?

Apply too much & it sets hard. Boiling water is the solution.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
Michelle Bramley m
wrote:

*I poured biiling water . Left for 5 minutes then blasted it with my
titan
wet/dry vacuum. It worked first time * amazing vacuum it works for lots
of
stuff and has the reverse button to blow

It is a bit of a mystery to me how you cause caustic soda to "set"
in the first place, or why. It's pretty soluble in water isn't it?

Not if you tip a pile of it into something like a drain and then
add a little water initially. It will set into a solid clump that is
much harder to dissolve, it forms a different hydride that is solid
and relatively less soluble in water on the outside of the clump.

Try it with a spare bit of pipe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

*I poured biiling water . Left for 5 minutes then blasted it with my
titan wet/dry vacuum. It worked first time * amazing vacuum it works
for lots of stuff and has the reverse button to blow

It is a bit of a mystery to me how you cause caustic soda to "set" in
the first place, or why. It's pretty soluble in water isn't it?

Apply too much & it sets hard. Boiling water is the solution.

Literally, I would have thought. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/17 16:51, Roger Hayter wrote:
Michelle Bramley m
wrote:

*I poured biiling water . Left for 5 minutes then blasted it with my titan
wet/dry vacuum. It worked first time * amazing vacuum it works for lots of
stuff and has the reverse button to blow

It is a bit of a mystery to me how you cause caustic soda to "set" in
the first place, or why. It's pretty soluble in water isn't it?

in a little water it semi= hydrates and ends up a bit like salt that got
wet and stuck together

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

*I poured biiling water . Left for 5 minutes then blasted it with my titan
wet/dry vacuum. It worked first time * amazing vacuum it works for lots of
stuff and has the reverse button to blow

It is a bit of a mystery to me how you cause caustic soda to "set" in
the first place, or why. It's pretty soluble in water isn't it?

in a little water it semi= hydrates and ends up a bit like salt that got
wet and stuck together

Thanks. It's always nice to learn new things.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

*I poured biiling water . Left for 5 minutes then blasted it with my
titan
wet/dry vacuum.Â* It worked first time * amazing vacuum it works for
lots of
stuff and has the reverse button to blow

It is a bit of a mystery to me how you cause caustic soda to "set" in
the first place, or why.Â*Â* It's pretty soluble in water isn't it?

in a little water it semi= hydrates and ends up a bit like salt that got
wet and stuck together

The secret is to agitate it thoroughly in a small amount of water in a
separate container to dissolve it before pouring it down the drain. It
will get hot, you might want to cool it down before pouring.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

*I poured biiling water . Left for 5 minutes then blasted it with my
titan
wet/dry vacuum.Â* It worked first time * amazing vacuum it works for
lots of
stuff and has the reverse button to blow

It is a bit of a mystery to me how you cause caustic soda to "set" in
the first place, or why.Â*Â* It's pretty soluble in water isn't it?

in a little water it semi= hydrates and ends up a bit like salt that
got wet and stuck together

The secret is to agitate it thoroughly in a small amount of water in a
separate container to dissolve it before pouring it down the drain. It
will get hot, you might want to cool it down before pouring.

No the answer is to pour it down the drain till it does the above, and
then pour a ktlle of boiling water on it.

The supereheated casutibn steam breaks up the chunks and blows the
drains cleam

Just wear safety glasses and gloves and an old sweatshirt

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)