Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Scanning over network

I think I'm having a senior moment (or day).

I need to scan a document onto a PC to send in an email. The scanner is
not handy re the PC's.

The printer/scanner is connected over the network. It prints fine from
the pc's on the network.

Try what I may, I can't seem to scan over the network into any
application on any pc.

The Dell 1765 instructions have got me flummoxed, mainly referring to
usb connections. I've installed a thing called Dell Quick Launch which
has a scan button on it. "Clicking" this does nothing.

I've tried from W7 and W10 no difference.

Can anyone confirm whether what I am trying to do is likely to be
possible?
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2017 20:19, Bill wrote:
I think I'm having a senior moment (or day).

I need to scan a document onto a PC to send in an email. The scanner is
not handy re the PC's.

The printer/scanner is connected over the network. It prints fine from
the pc's on the network.

Try what I may, I can't seem to scan over the network into any
application on any pc.

The Dell 1765 instructions have got me flummoxed, mainly referring to
usb connections. I've installed a thing called Dell Quick Launch which
has a scan button on it. "Clicking" this does nothing.

I've tried from W7 and W10 no difference.

Can anyone confirm whether what I am trying to do is likely to be possible?

I am sure it should be possible, I have a Brother all-in-one that prints
and scans fine with only a wifi connection.

However I do find that some of my numerous network devices stop
connecting from time to time. I have yet to find a decent "guide to
networking" either as a book or an online resource that is not either
too simple (Home Networking for Dummies is hopeless) or too difficult,
assuming a relatively high level of starting knowledge.

There are lots of tools built into Windows: ping, arp, tracert,
ipconfig, netstat to name but a few.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 November 2017 20:20:30 UTC, Bill wrote:
The Dell 1765 instructions have got me flummoxed, mainly referring to
usb connections.

A first glance suggests you need to set the Dell up with a server to upload the scanned file to, either FTP (eg if you have some FTP space on a webserver) or SMB on a local network.

Somewhere about page 260 in the manual.

Another option might be to scan to a USB pendrive plugged into the device, then take that to the computer.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 01/11/2017 20:19, Bill wrote:
[...]

Bill, how do you initiate the scan? From a "Scan" button on the printer or
from a "Scan" option in PC software? I've found that the latter is more
reliable and less error prone. I wonder if it's worth first of all trying to
get it to scan via USB (even if it means temporarily moving the
printer/scanner into the room with the PCs) to prove that the scanner works
at all, before reverting to network connection. And maybe remove and
re-install the printer and scanner driver to re-make the connection between
PC and printer via network.

One thing you may find (though if you can consistently print, it may not be
an issue) is that most printer drivers assume that the printer is always on
the same IP address, whereas routers assign IP addresses at random (eg in
the order that devices first request an address after the router is
rebooted). You may want to set the printer to a static (fixed) IP address
instead of using DHCP, and make sure that the router's DHCP is set to
exclude that address from the DHCP "scope" (pool of addresses from which IPs
are allocated when a device requests one). Alternatively you may have a
router which has "Address Reservation" whereby a specific device (identified
by its MAC hardware address) is always allocated the same IP address by
DHCP. All of that may well be a red herring since you can print reliably.

One word of warning: if you use the PING command from a CMD prompt on the
PC, as in "PING 192.168.1.10" if that is the printer's IP address, you may
find that you get no reply. Occasionally I find that some network devices
work absolutely fine but for some perverse reason don't respond to pings. I
wish I had a pound for every time I've said "can't ping the device so it
must be faulty" and found after a lot of faffing around that it works
perfectly apart from the diagnostic ping :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
newshound writes
I am sure it should be possible, I have a Brother all-in-one that
prints and scans fine with only a wifi connection.

However I do find that some of my numerous network devices stop
connecting from time to time. I have yet to find a decent "guide to
networking" either as a book or an online resource that is not either
too simple (Home Networking for Dummies is hopeless) or too difficult,
assuming a relatively high level of starting knowledge.

There are lots of tools built into Windows: ping, arp, tracert,
ipconfig, netstat to name but a few.

Hang on.... I think I've got something going!

I found a menu in Photoshop that let me put in the IP address of the
scanner, and it burst into life. I'll use it this way for now, as it's
urgent I get copy invoices off to the "children" before they bankrupt
me.

The Dell AIO device is the model with everything except wireless. The
wifi section of the manual seems fuller than the ordinary networking
part.

I, too, find networking in Windows a black art. Sometimes the printer
appears in the list of networked devices, sometimes not.
I use Scotties Lanscan often, but am totally confused by the way I have
a workgroup with its own Master Browser, but the router sets itself up
on its own workgroup and declares it is the master browser. I haven't
found any way to change this yet.

Thanks.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , NY
writes
"newshound" wrote in message
news:8eCdnf1hodhiqWfEnZ2dnUU78KvNnZ2d@brightview. co.uk...
On 01/11/2017 20:19, Bill wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I've managed to get it working via Photoshop so all is OK.

I still don't know why other programs couldn't find it. For the record,
ping works fine to it and it's set to a permanent IP address. I've
reinstalled the software on both computers.

If I have time, I'll try to poke around and see what is going on in
Photoshop that other programs don't do
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Bill, Iggy wrote:
See the bottom of page 247 in the manual (
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...765nfw/manuals
), you need to select the computer where the scan is going from the scanner.
This and I presume you have Paperport or Dell Scan Center and the 1765 itself
installed on the PC. If not, then you're snookered until you do.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...k-1246812-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some scanners have two sorts of driver, one is the now old Twain and the
other tends to be bespoke to the device, and I've had issues in the past
where some software, seeing the twain driver have attempted to use that as
default with the usual result of cannot find scanner or paper feed fault or
sundry other strange errors or sulk modes.

Maybe Photoshop knows more about your scanner than you do, so to speak.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bill" wrote in message
In message , NY
writes
On 01/11/2017 20:19, Bill wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Iggy
m writes
replying to Bill, Iggy wrote:
See the bottom of page 247 in the manual (
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...765nfw/manuals
, you need to select the computer where the scan is going from the scanner.

This and I presume you have Paperport or Dell Scan Center and the 1765 itself
installed on the PC. If not, then you're snookered until you do.

Thanks for the reply. The printer came without the Paperport CD,
unfortunately, and it can't be downloaded from the Dell site. Somewhere
I have an old copy of Paperport, probably from the Windows 95 days, but
I assumed it was too old.
I also tried WSD, as shown on the subsequent pages of the manual, but,
in spite of it being enabled on the scanner, it didn't appear on the
machines across the network.

It seems there is a layer of obscurity that I have been unaware of in
all this up to now. I suspect that if I identified a port on the IP
address that connected to the scanner, rather than the printer, part of
the device, I might be able to communicate with it directly.

Anyway, thanks again for the reply. Shame you are accessing this through
that dubious hub interface rather than usenet itself, but it's good that
you are here (wherever that may be). :-)
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Maybe Photoshop knows more about your scanner than you do, so to speak.

Arrrgh, yes we are being taken over by machines or software. The older I
get, the less I seem to know.

"Devices and Printers" shows the fax and printer bits of the Dell, but
not the scanner, and it seems that none of the 2 other scanner aware
applications I've tried seems to see the scanner over the network.

Photoshop seems to be using TWAIN. It says "Not Responding" while it's
scanning. Just teasing, I suppose.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote:

One word of warning: if you use the PING command from a CMD prompt on the
PC, as in "PING 192.168.1.10" if that is the printer's IP address, you may
find that you get no reply. Occasionally I find that some network devices
work absolutely fine but for some perverse reason don't respond to pings. I
wish I had a pound for every time I've said "can't ping the device so it
must be faulty" and found after a lot of faffing around that it works
perfectly apart from the diagnostic ping :-)

It's perfectly possible to disallow ping (often done with the WAN side
of routers). However I don't think I've ever come across device with
a wired interface on my LAN that doesn't respond to ping.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/17 22:48, NY wrote:
I wish I had a pound for every time I've said "can't ping the device so
it must be faulty" and found after a lot of faffing around that it works
perfectly apart from the diagnostic ping

there is no requirement to respond to ICMP packets, Its optional.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 November 2017 20:20:30 UTC, Bill wrote:
I think I'm having a senior moment (or day).

I need to scan a document onto a PC to send in an email. The scanner is
not handy re the PC's.

The printer/scanner is connected over the network. It prints fine from
the pc's on the network.

Try what I may, I can't seem to scan over the network into any
application on any pc.

The Dell 1765 instructions have got me flummoxed, mainly referring to
usb connections. I've installed a thing called Dell Quick Launch which
has a scan button on it. "Clicking" this does nothing.

I've tried from W7 and W10 no difference.

Can anyone confirm whether what I am trying to do is likely to be
possible?
--
Bill

Unless you want OCR, have you thought about taking a picture of the document with a smartphone or tablet, that is usualy good enough for alot of things.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Bill, Iggy wrote:
Been there. I'm glad you got it going with Photoshop.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...k-1246812-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/17 00:00, Bill wrote:
In message ,
newshound writes
I am sure it should be possible, I have a Brother all-in-one that
prints and scans fine with only a wifi connection.

However I do find that some of my numerous network devices stop
connecting from time to time. I have yet to find a decent "guide to
networking" either as a book or an online resource that is not either
too simple (Home Networking for Dummies is hopeless) or too difficult,
assuming a relatively high level of starting knowledge.

There are lots of tools built into Windows: ping, arp, tracert,
ipconfig, netstat to name but a few.

Hang on.... I think I've got something going!

I found a menu in Photoshop that let me put in the IP address of the
scanner, and it burst into life. I'll use it this way for now, as it's
urgent I get copy invoices off to the "children" before they bankrupt me.

Yes - I think there is a standard for scanning over IP (I forget its
name and "how standard" it actually is over different vendors).

If you have a smart printer (with a display and keypad) these usually
support "scan by email", "sometimes scan to fileserver (SMB, NFS or FTP
- options vary a lot) and often the "Network scanner" mode. If you have
a "black box" unit (without more than a couple of buttons) options tend
to be limited, though sometimes it's worth pointing a web browser at the
printer to see if it can be operated over the web.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill wrote:
I think I'm having a senior moment (or day).

I need to scan a document onto a PC to send in an email. The scanner is
not handy re the PC's.

The printer/scanner is connected over the network. It prints fine from
the pc's on the network.

Try what I may, I can't seem to scan over the network into any
application on any pc.

My Epson does using the supplied Epson software from any of my PCs.

--
*I used to be a banker, but then I lost interest.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.