Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Problem with drainage channel

I have a fairly large paviored which slopes down to my property. Running
the full length of the property, about 17 metres in length, is a channel
the bottom of which is lined with a concrete type U shaped lining, this
is capped with a metal grid. The channel and grids are in 1 meter
lengths, the manufacture being MEA. Unfortunately the U shaped lining
has started to break up. I have had several tradesmen in to look at
replacing it, however as the whole thing is set in concrete they
declined the job. Any suggestions as to how to fix it, as reasonable
cost, please?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2017 15:51, Broadback wrote:
I have a fairly large paviored which slopes down to my property. Running
the full length of the property, about 17 metres in length, is a channel
the bottom of which is lined with a concrete type U shaped lining, this
is capped with a metal grid. The channel and grids are in 1 meter
lengths, the manufacture being MEA. Unfortunately the U shaped lining
has started to break up. I have had several tradesmen in to look at
replacing it, however as the whole thing is set in concrete they
declined the job. Any suggestions as to how to fix it, as reasonable
cost, please?

Can't you 'line' it with a lengths of plastic guttering? After all, if
it leaks a bit, it isn't the end of the world. Bed in the lining silicon
in a few places.

Another option is to see if one of the companies which do continuous run
aluminium guttering can make a lining. We had a 17m run done on our
house- it was about £480. The cross-section isn't round but then we
didn't ask for round- I assume they can do other cross-sections.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2017 16:05, Brian Reay wrote:
On 26/10/2017 15:51, Broadback wrote:
I have a fairly large paviored which slopes down to my property.
Running the full length of the property, about 17 metres in length, is
a channel the bottom of which is lined with a concrete type U shaped
lining, this is capped with a metal grid. The channel and grids are in
1 meter lengths, the manufacture being MEA. Unfortunately the U shaped
lining has started to break up. I have had several tradesmen in to
look at replacing it, however as the whole thing is set in concrete
they declined the job. Any suggestions as to how to fix it, as
reasonable cost, please?

Can't you 'line' it with a lengths of plastic guttering? After all, if
it leaks a bit, it isn't the end of the world. Bed in the lining silicon
in a few places.

Beat me to it! I think the narrower guttering made for sheds might fit.
I'd be more inclined to bed in mastic. Wouldn't waste money on couplings.

Another option is to see if one of the companies which do continuous run
aluminium guttering can make a lining. We had a 17m run done on our
house- it was about £480. The cross-section isn't round but then we
didn't ask for round- I assume they can do other cross-sections.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Broadback, Iggy wrote:
Maybe you need to explain what you mean by "started to break up". It doesn't
sound like it's buckling out of the ground or collapsing on itself. If it's
just popping a thin face off or developing fine and shallow surface cracks,
you can easily restore it yourself with Concrete Resurfacer. If it's developed
deeper cracks, then equally as easy is forcing in Hydraulic Cement with a
putty knife or gloved hand.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...l-1245476-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2017 19:14, Iggy wrote:
replying to Broadback, Iggy wrote:
Maybe you need to explain what you mean by "started to break up". It
doesn't
sound like it's buckling out of the ground or collapsing on itself. If it's
just popping a thin face off or developing fine and shallow surface cracks,
you can easily restore it yourself with Concrete Resurfacer. If it's
developed
deeper cracks, then equally as easy is forcing in Hydraulic Cement with a
putty knife or gloved hand.

It is actually cracking completely through, though only in places. One
length has disintegrated along the side just leaving a very shallow U at
the bottom. I take on board the suggestions to date and will look into
it. Sadly I am at an age where I can do very little myself, so whatever
the solution will probably have to get a man in. :-((

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Broadback, Iggy wrote:
:

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...l-1245476-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Broadback, Iggy wrote:
I see. Then, you'll really need to keep calling Masons and even Swimming Pool
Installers. Concrete is a Mason's thing and you really shouldn't have much
trouble tracking down a good one. The Swimming Pool Installers may seem like
an odd suggestion, but they do nothing but spraying cement onto and into
whatever shape is desired.

A final and much more permanent or super-long-term solution is to hire a
Hardscape Landscaper to get rid of the concrete monstrosity and replace it
with a barely noticeable wide natural swale. Basically, they just sculpt the
yard soil to do exactly what the concrete's been doing or more. Nothing to
ever clean, rust, rot, patch, replace nor worry about.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...l-1245476-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/17 13:44, Iggy wrote:
A final and much more permanent or super-long-term solution is to hire a
Hardscape Landscaper to get rid of the concrete monstrosity and replace it
with a barely noticeable wide natural swale.

******

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Tjoepstil, Iggy wrote:
I was yesterday.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...l-1245476-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Broadback, Iggy wrote:
:

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...l-1245476-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Tjoepstil, Iggy wrote:
:

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...l-1245476-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 27 October 2017 08:42:46 UTC+1, Broadback wrote:
On 26/10/2017 19:14, Iggy wrote:
replying to Broadback, Iggy wrote:

Maybe you need to explain what you mean by "started to break up". It
doesn't
sound like it's buckling out of the ground or collapsing on itself. If it's
just popping a thin face off or developing fine and shallow surface cracks,
you can easily restore it yourself with Concrete Resurfacer. If it's
developed
deeper cracks, then equally as easy is forcing in Hydraulic Cement with a
putty knife or gloved hand.

It is actually cracking completely through, though only in places. One
length has disintegrated along the side just leaving a very shallow U at
the bottom. I take on board the suggestions to date and will look into
it. Sadly I am at an age where I can do very little myself, so whatever
the solution will probably have to get a man in. :-((

The other possible is to paint it with resin.

NT