Uno Hoo!

Default Surface Channel Drainage

Having decided to drain my new patio properly by tapping into an underground
rainwater drainpipe, I've been looking at channel drainage systems.

This one he

http://www.master-plastics.co.uk/en-gb/dept_491.html

claims that you can connect it directly to the drain, presumably without the
use of a tick or bottle gulley. They appear to be making this claim on the
basis that there is a built in debris trap at the end of the channel. Is
this permitted? I would have thought that drainage regulations would have
stipulated some sort of a gully - if only to provide a sort of 'P' trap to
prevent drain odours from reaching the surface.

Any comments?

Kev

BigWallop

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message
Having decided to drain my new patio properly by tapping into an

underground
rainwater drainpipe, I've been looking at channel drainage systems.

This one he

http://www.master-plastics.co.uk/en-gb/dept_491.html

claims that you can connect it directly to the drain, presumably without

the
use of a tick or bottle gulley. They appear to be making this claim on the
basis that there is a built in debris trap at the end of the channel. Is
this permitted? I would have thought that drainage regulations would have
stipulated some sort of a gully - if only to provide a sort of 'P' trap to
prevent drain odours from reaching the surface.

Any comments?

Kev

If anything small enough gets through the debris catcher, but is sticky
enough to attach itself to the inside of pipework, then you're going to have
problems. Leaves and grasses are the worst culprits for this. It's always
advisable to place an inline trap on these things, and not rely solely on
basket weaving to stop things going down the drain.

The normal technique is to have a TEE connector placed in the main rainwater
pipe with it's branch sticking out at the top, or slightly to an angle
toward the new pipework. Then attach pipework to this that will shape the
end in to a U type trap shape. It doesn't have to be huge, but enough to
stop gases from blowing back up through the water seal and out in to the
garden. Nothing worse than stinking vegetable / plant matter rotting away
and smelling the patio out.

Uno Hoo!

"BigWallop" wrote in message
k...

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message
[...]

I agree - despite what they claim I will put some form of trap/gulley into
the system!

Kev