antz

Default surface water drainage problems!!

Bet there are alot of you out there with a similar problem due to the
great weather we are having!

In our new garden we have a "Dew" pond?? I dont know what a dew pond
is but reading on the tinernet it seems they are ponds that were dug
by farmers to reduce land flooding????

Any how this pond dries up in the summer but in winter it floods the
whole garden! the pond is about 8 foot deep and it must flood the
garden by about 1-2 foot!!

its on a diffrent level from our house so thats not an issue!

Does anyone know where i would stand trying to get the drain for this
unblocked?

There is a large manhole cover about 1 foot of our boundary fence and
i have rodded the drain for about 15 foot so it clear well off our
garden.
Who should i contact to further the matter, whos responsibitly is it?
where could i get plans of the drains?

any info would help!

cheers
nightjar

"antz" wrote in message
om...
Bet there are alot of you out there with a similar problem due to the
great weather we are having!

In our new garden we have a "Dew" pond?? I dont know what a dew pond
is but reading on the tinernet it seems they are ponds that were dug
by farmers to reduce land flooding????

They were ponds that were filled by condensation, to provide water supplies
for livestock in areas without surface water. They are generally found in
high chalk country, where cloud and mist form in sufficient quantity to keep
the pond filled.

Any how this pond dries up in the summer but in winter it floods the
whole garden! the pond is about 8 foot deep and it must flood the
garden by about 1-2 foot!!

The main feature of dew ponds is that they don't dry up in the summer, when
other water sources do. This sound more like a change in the level of the
water table.

its on a diffrent level from our house so thats not an issue!

Does anyone know where i would stand trying to get the drain for this
unblocked?

There probably isn't one to be unblocked.

There is a large manhole cover about 1 foot of our boundary fence and
i have rodded the drain for about 15 foot so it clear well off our
garden.
Who should i contact to further the matter, whos responsibitly is it?

Your local Water Authority will usually be the people responsible for land
drainage. However, if it is a rise in the water table level, you won't get
rid of the problem simply by making an opening into a drain. You will need
to raise the land above the water level. I had a similar problem in my
garden, but that only needed to be raised a few inches to be above the
winter water table.

Colin Bignell

antz

"nightjar" wrote in message ...
"antz" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Hi

The deeds to the land sold to the preivious owner stated it was a dew
pond!
I am not too sure about this being the case now though!
there is an original drain to the pond but this is what is blocked!
I tried to get the water board to do something about this but as the
problem was apprently on my land and not affrecting any other
properties i had to fix it!

But now on rodding this drain the blockage is clearly not on my land
and is on adjoing land and now iam the "any other" porperty that is
being affected they might take note!

As an aside there was planning restriction on the land stating that
this was for a dew pond and garden if its is clearly not a "dew" pond
could this be a loop whole for me to pass some plans thought?? just a
thought?

cheers