Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TV tuning problem

Live in North Wales and trying to get S4C €“ the Welsh version of Channel 4 €“ with subtitles as learning Welsh.

We can get S4C on the cheap and cheerful Bush TV recorder box but it doesnt do subtitles so I tried to get S4C on the TV itself ie using the TVs own tuner. Whats puzzling is that despite the TV being connected to the same aerial as the Bush box when you do an auto tune on the TV you dont get S4C.

You get the opportunity to select UK when doing the tuning and at some point you can select Wales but no S4C.

Any ideas please?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 9:40:23 PM UTC+1, Murmansk wrote:
Live in North Wales and trying to get S4C €“ the Welsh version of Channel 4 €“ with subtitles as learning Welsh.

We can get S4C on the cheap and cheerful Bush TV recorder box but it doesnt do subtitles so I tried to get S4C on the TV itself ie using the TVs own tuner. Whats puzzling is that despite the TV being connected to the same aerial as the Bush box when you do an auto tune on the TV you dont get S4C.

You get the opportunity to select UK when doing the tuning and at some point you can select Wales but no S4C.

Any ideas please?

How old is the TV. All the channels were shifted recently to clear 4G and your TV may not be able to retune. Do you get any other channels?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2017 22:55, therustyone wrote:
On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 9:40:23 PM UTC+1, Murmansk wrote:
Live in North Wales and trying to get S4C €“ the Welsh version of Channel 4 €“ with subtitles as learning Welsh.

We can get S4C on the cheap and cheerful Bush TV recorder box but it doesnt do subtitles so I tried to get S4C on the TV itself ie using the TVs own tuner. Whats puzzling is that despite the TV being connected to the same aerial as the Bush box when you do an auto tune on the TV you dont get S4C.

You get the opportunity to select UK when doing the tuning and at some point you can select Wales but no S4C.

Any ideas please?

How old is the TV. All the channels were shifted recently to clear 4G and your TV may not be able to retune. Do you get any other channels?

All TV sets can receive the currently used channels except the DVB T2
ones which are mostly for HD. S4C is on PSB2 which is not a DVB T2 mux.

So having disposed of that red herring let us look at real
possibilities. If the aerial is aligned on Winter Hill, as many N Wales
aerials are, it will have only weak reception from Storeton and the
various low powered relays in N Wales. Since TV and recorder tuners vary
greatly in their ability to cope with such poor signals it's no surprise
that one unit will work and one won't.

If you can be bothered align an aerial on Storeton or a relay.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2017 21:40, Murmansk wrote:
Live in North Wales and trying to get S4C €“ the Welsh version of Channel 4 €“ with subtitles as learning Welsh.

We can get S4C on the cheap and cheerful Bush TV recorder box but it doesnt do subtitles so I tried to get S4C on the TV itself ie using the TVs own tuner. Whats puzzling is that despite the TV being connected to the same aerial as the Bush box when you do an auto tune on the TV you dont get S4C.

You get the opportunity to select UK when doing the tuning and at some point you can select Wales but no S4C.

Any ideas please?

Some TVs will let you scan a particular channel so if the TV allows that
find out what channel S4C is broadcast on and then scan that.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare presented the following explanation :
Some TVs will let you scan a particular channel so if the TV allows that find
out what channel S4C is broadcast on and then scan that.

If not, they usually indicate which channel or frequency they are
presently scanning, so you can un-plug/plug the antenna cable in, at
the correct points.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2017 21:40, Murmansk wrote:
Live in North Wales and trying to get S4C €“ the Welsh version of Channel 4 €“ with subtitles as learning Welsh.

We can get S4C on the cheap and cheerful Bush TV recorder box but it doesnt do subtitles so I tried to get S4C on the TV itself ie using the TVs own tuner. Whats puzzling is that despite the TV being connected to the same aerial as the Bush box when you do an auto tune on the TV you dont get S4C.

You get the opportunity to select UK when doing the tuning and at some point you can select Wales but no S4C.

Any ideas please?

Have a look at channels in the 800's or 900's region which is usually
where sets dump other region weaker aliases of wanted channels.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was under the impression all boxes did subtitles just as they do AD. I've
yet to encounter on that did not. It might be hidden away, its truue.
As for your other tv, that is a bit hard to say. All sorts of reasons could
be in play here. Is s4c only hd?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Murmansk" wrote in message
Live in North Wales and trying to get S4C - the Welsh version of Channel 4 -
with subtitles as learning Welsh.

We can get S4C on the cheap and cheerful Bush TV recorder box but it doesn't
do subtitles so I tried to get S4C on the TV itself ie using the TV's own
tuner. What's puzzling is that despite the TV being connected to the same
aerial as the Bush box when you do an auto tune on the TV you don't get S4C.

You get the opportunity to select UK when doing the tuning and at some point
you can select Wales but no S4C.

Any ideas please?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Oct 2017 07:27:41 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
coalesced the vapors of human
experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

Michael Chare presented the following explanation :
Some TVs will let you scan a particular channel so if the TV allows that find
out what channel S4C is broadcast on and then scan that.

If not, they usually indicate which channel or frequency they are
presently scanning, so you can un-plug/plug the antenna cable in, at
the correct points.

Correct, the Storeton/Winter Hill "conflict" is very prevalent in some
of the densely populated areas of Liverpool. Not that I am casting
aspersions, some Liverpool people are quite bright.

Also some receivers put any duplicate LCNs it finds up in the 800
region, so the OP might like to look up there.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 13:40:21 -0700 (PDT)
Murmansk wrote:

Live in North Wales and trying to get S4C €“ the Welsh version of
Channel 4 €“ with subtitles as learning Welsh.

We can get S4C on the cheap and cheerful Bush TV recorder box but it
doesnt do subtitles so I tried to get S4C on the TV itself ie using
the TVs own tuner. Whats puzzling is that despite the TV being
connected to the same aerial as the Bush box when you do an auto tune
on the TV you dont get S4C.

You get the opportunity to select UK when doing the tuning and at
some point you can select Wales but no S4C.

Any ideas please?

Not a direct answer to your question, but S4C beta version of clic is
very good for me:

http://beta.s4c.cymru/clic/c_index.shtml

Subtitles in both English and Welsh, so ideal for a learner.

Pob lwc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2017 21:40, Murmansk wrote:
Live in North Wales and trying to get S4C €“ the Welsh version of Channel 4 €“ with subtitles as learning Welsh.

We can get S4C on the cheap and cheerful Bush TV recorder box but it doesnt do subtitles so I tried to get S4C on the TV itself ie using the TVs own tuner. Whats puzzling is that despite the TV being connected to the same aerial as the Bush box when you do an auto tune on the TV you dont get S4C.

You get the opportunity to select UK when doing the tuning and at some point you can select Wales but no S4C.

Any ideas please?

My local 'tier 2' library in Storrington, West Sussex has a 'teach
yourself Welsh' book and CD set for loan. I guess lots of
people in Sussex want to move somewhere where they will lose out
on property inflation, pay higher council tax, and have a worse
NHS, crap broadband and non-existant mobile phone reception too.

And if they live in South East Wales and want to start a business
or place any adverts, they have to be bilingual despite the fact
that more people in Cardiff speak Urdu or Farsi etc than Welsh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/17 14:56, Andrew wrote:

And if they live in South East Wales and want to start a business
or place any adverts, they have to be bilingual despite the fact
that more people in Cardiff speak Urdu or Farsi etc than Welsh.

I don't know.

I was working on a server in a hotel reception in Cardiff, and needed to
borrow their cleaner's vacuum cleaner to avoid myself getting covered in
the dust that has accumulated there.

So I chanced upon this pretty girl busy with such a hoover, and failed
in all my communications attempt to let me borrow it.

The other staff laughed... "yup, the only language she understands is
Welsh, she comes in from the outskirts of here."

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2017 15:43, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
"yup, the only language she understands is Welsh, she comes in from the
outskirts of here."

I grew up in the "outskirts" of Cardiff and I can assure you that
you will rarely hear people speaking Welsh in South East Wales,
even if they can. And now that property prices in Bristol have
become as silly as London, there has been a huge influx of
English speakers, buying property along the M4 corridor and
commuting to Bristol every day.

She might have come from the Taffia region of Central or North East
Wales, the underpopulated bits that voted for devolution.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Oct 2017 21:43:06 GMT

On 2017-10-26, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 26/10/17 14:56, Andrew wrote:

And if they live in South East Wales and want to start a business
or place any adverts, they have to be bilingual despite the fact
that more people in Cardiff speak Urdu or Farsi etc than Welsh.

I don't know.

I was working on a server in a hotel reception in Cardiff, and
needed to borrow their cleaner's vacuum cleaner to avoid myself
getting covered in the dust that has accumulated there.

So I chanced upon this pretty girl busy with such a hoover, and
failed in all my communications attempt to let me borrow it.

The other staff laughed... "yup, the only language she understands
is Welsh, she comes in from the outskirts of here."

Nonsense. There are no Welsh speakers (in Wales) who do not also
speak English.

Well, there's my dog. He's not a 'speaker', though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/10/2017 12:55, Graham. wrote:
On Wed, 25 Oct 2017 07:27:41 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
coalesced the vapors of human
experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

Michael Chare presented the following explanation :
Some TVs will let you scan a particular channel so if the TV allows that find
out what channel S4C is broadcast on and then scan that.

If not, they usually indicate which channel or frequency they are
presently scanning, so you can un-plug/plug the antenna cable in, at
the correct points.

Correct, the Storeton/Winter Hill "conflict" is very prevalent in some
of the densely populated areas of Liverpool. Not that I am casting
aspersions, some Liverpool people are quite bright.

It is surprisingly bad in parts of Manchester and Salford too. A
sidelobe of some aerials pointed at Winter Hill picks up the Welsh
station loud and clear. It suddenly got a lot worse after D-day when the
analogue was switched off and digital was on full power.

Some older dumber sets put first channel found in prime position which
in Manchester means that autotune turns them all into Welsh if you allow
it to run without unplugging the antenna while it scans up through the
early frequencies with the Welsh multiplex on it.

Money for old rope for telly menders. I disabled notify and autotune on
my parents to prevent this happening. Countdown would vanish otherwise.

Also some receivers put any duplicate LCNs it finds up in the 800
region, so the OP might like to look up there.

Indeed although most modern ones filter based on your postcode now or
strongest signal to prime spot (which is usually sensible).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Goldstar KN-20V20 Tuning Problem - Need help Greg Delgado Electronics Repair 0 October 3rd 04 04:37 PM
Does anyone know where I can find Allen Bradley's Ultra Master servo tuning software cheap. Star Metalworking 0 October 31st 03 11:26 AM
HELP tuning video belmont5 UK diy 8 September 28th 03 06:56 PM
Tuning a Bandsaw George Metalworking 3 September 16th 03 11:59 PM
Bandsaw Tuning #1 Wayland Woodworking 6 August 24th 03 12:59 AM