Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New kitchens

Yes, OK, I was asking about hinges last week, so having got one cabinet hinge fixed it seems the rest of the kitchen is slowly falling apart. .....

Much as I do not want the disruption, I may need to get a new kitchen.

I dont want to change the design. It was w3ell done all those years ago by RAM. I have looked up lots of kitchens and consulted Which? but I am not convinced. Surely these kitchens are nearly all made by one company really and sold by different brands? So, who makes them?

Can anyone suggest good quality for money here? I have a B&Q replacement set of drawers that started to fall apart withing months of my getting them.

Which? are suggesting IKEA but thats out as there isnt one within 100 miles of me. My choices are : Wicks, Howdens ( apparently they have a place nearby I found out yesterday - saw the big lorry pulling in), Magnet, Homebase, .... and B&Q.

Or an online company?

Thanks for relevant suggestions (AWR appears be too busy running over cyclists to make a useful suggestion, so thanks to all others).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:

Can anyone suggest good quality for money here? I have a B&Q replacement set of drawers that started to fall apart withing months of my getting them.

No problems with my B&Q units here after 10 years so far

Which? are suggesting IKEA but thats out as there isnt one within 100 miles of me.

they deliver, or you could use a man&van type service, either to
collect, or collect and assemble.

My choices are : Wicks,

seem ok whenever I've glanced at them

Howdens ( apparently they have a place nearby I found out yesterday - saw the big lorry pulling in)

They're trade only (and quite serious about turning away DIY customers)

Magnet, Homebase, .... and B&Q.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Magnet seem to have a good reputation.
I think half the issue is the way the contractors put them together and of
course if they actually arrive undamaged in the first place.

Talking of kitchens, is there any company who can source ovens and hobs
that can be used by blind people? All the things one sees in showrooms seem
to be flat touch screens or with buttons that operate menu systems so no way
to use them without sight.
The world has suddenly gone bonkers for this new tech, completely forgetting
the older and blind person in the process.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"sweetheart" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Talking of kitchens, is there any company who can source ovens and hobs
that can be used by blind people? All the things one sees in showrooms seem
to be flat touch screens or with buttons

I'm sure if you avoid halogen/induction type hobs you'll find plenty
with traditional controls.

My gas hob just has a knob per burner, which presses to ignite (or are
gas hobs considered less safe for,or by, the blind?) sitting here I
couldn't tell you which knob is front/rear though left/right is obvious,
but that would be easy to learn.

Electric oven rotary knob, I generally use only fan mode (not top/bottom
grill with without fan etc) but it would be easy to remember how many
clicks for each mode, and to remember a "clock" position e.g. 5 o'clock
for 180 degrees, 6'o'clock for 200 degrees etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2017 11:38, sweetheart wrote:

[...]

Last time I looked, B&Q carcases were reasonable quality and price
although I otherwise avoid them unless forced to. Have used Wickes
carcases too, generally my first shed of choice. Other hardware, check
TS and SF first.

It always looks to me as though these people make their money out of the
doors.

Don't try to economise on hinges, get "wide opening" ones too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 03:38:25 -0700, sweetheart wrote:

[...]

I would recommend Howdens. Kit all comes pre-assembled and they hold it
locally, so if there is a problem you don't have to wait 6-8 weeks for the
replacement bits to turn up. As allegedly happens with B&Q, HomeBase and
the like. Depending on the branch you can allegedly get them to supply if
you ask nicely. However we dealt through our builders. Good quality and
good prices.

A good many years ago (10 perhaps?) we used a Reading supplier called
Kitchen George and a local kitchen fitter. Together we were very
impressed. A quick search suggests that there are now more branches South
and West of London. No idea if they are still any good, but like Howdens
all the carcases are pre-built and the fittings held in the local depot.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 11:45:19 AM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

No problems with my B&Q units here after 10 years so far

Lucky you. Wish mine had lasted. Every time I open it the middle drawer falls off its rollers. Oh tried to fix but told me it was plain naff.

Which? are suggesting IKEA but thats out as there isnt one within 100 miles of me.

they deliver, or you could use a man&van type service, either to
collect, or collect and assemble.

I would like to see and feel the kitchens and I dont really want to drive 100 miles + 100 miles back to do that. Ok, I am lazy, but at least I am now reducing the number of possibles. Thanks.

Howdens ( apparently they have a place nearby I found out yesterday - saw the big lorry pulling in)

They're trade only (and quite serious about turning away DIY customers)

Oh well scratch them then. Good job I hadnt bothered to drive up there. I was planning on getting OH (jack of all trades and master of none) a fully indentured plumber who has seen and fitted tons of kitchens in his nearly fifty working years, now retired, to do it for me.

Would I be better off with any cheap and cheerful of the internet? Any names that anyone has tried there?

PS - what I need is not a kitchen designer..... I need 2x 1000 kitchen wall units ( standard, not tall), 1 x 1000 corner unit, 1 x 500 drawer unit, 1x 500 cupboard unit ( floor), 1 x 300 base cupboard and 1 x 600 base unit ( floor). Kick Boards for all round and a worktop - the thicker laminate type,. I fancy a wooden look in that. I may well need a new inset kitchen sink ( stainless steel but cheap and cheerful is good there) .

I dont need appliances. I have those and they work quite well , thanks.

Units likely to be white and plain ( found with the B&Q one that having moulded panels and ridges etc just made for more difficult cleaning - its a woman thing with me.

oh how I wish for the old days of MFI when they did decent stuff at a decent price , before they went belly up! One of the nicest kitchens I ever has was MFI..... and it did rival this very expensive thing in my current kitchen which probably cost an arm and a leg when someone put it in 25 years or more ago.

Suggestions for a "modern " kitchen still welcomed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 24/10/2017 12:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

Talking of kitchens, is there any company who can sourceÂ* ovens and hobs
that can be used by blind people?Â* All the things one sees in
showrooms seem
to be flat touch screens or with buttons

Electric oven rotary knob, I generally use only fan mode (not top/bottom
grill with without fan etc) but it would be easy to remember how many
clicks for each mode, and to remember a "clock"Â* position e.g. 5 o'clock
for 180 degrees, 6'o'clock for 200 degrees etc.

We have a Bosch oven. The basic controls are rotary - mode select and
temperature. The clock is digital, but I shouldn't think that's a big
issue for Brian?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 24/10/2017 11:45, Andy Burns wrote:
sweetheart wrote:

Can anyone suggest good quality for money here?Â* I have a B&Q
replacement set of drawers that started to fall apart withing months
of my getting them.

No problems with my B&Q units here after 10 years so far

Which? are suggesting IKEA but thats out as there isnt one within 100
miles of me.

they deliver, or you could use a man&van type service, either to
collect, or collect and assemble.

I like Ikea units, but I avoid their worktops.

My choices are : Wicks,

seem ok whenever I've glanced at them

Howdens ( apparently they have a place nearby I found out yesterday -
saw the bigÂ* lorry pulling in)

They're trade only (and quite serious about turning away DIY customers)

Magnet, Homebase, .... and B&Q.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 12:36:44 PM UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 03:38:25 -0700, sweetheart wrote:

I would recommend Howdens. Kit all comes pre-assembled and they hold it
locally, so if there is a problem you don't have to wait 6-8 weeks for the
replacement bits to turn up. As allegedly happens with B&Q, HomeBase and
the like. Depending on the branch you can allegedly get them to supply if
you ask nicely. However we dealt through our builders. Good quality and
good prices.

One of the reasons I looked at Howdens website was that they were ready built. I consider the extra money worth time saved - and the swearing from my OH as he tries to put flat packs together.

I noticed there they said you had to get your own builder. They didnt supply one. Hence the reason I thought I could get OH to do it. So, I dont quite know how they work that on trade only.

( oh and I need 3 x 1000 wall units, not two as I claimed earlier. I forgot one on a different wall).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
sweetheart wrote:
Yes, OK, I was asking about hinges last week, so having got one
cabinet hinge fixed it seems the rest of the kitchen is slowly falling
apart. .....

In what way? Hinges will obviously wear with use and time - but if still
available can be replaced.

Are the bodies of the units falling apart? Chipboard got wet etc and
swelling?

--
wife.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I've nothing bad to say about Howden's but you will need a friendly
tradesman to order them.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to sweetheart, Iggy wrote:
I'd say go for taking your kitchen apart to glue and screw everything and
anything you can. That's, by far, the easiest, cheapest and cleanest option.
Otherwise, I actually prefer Ready To Assemble (RTA)/Flat Pack/Knock-Down to
pre-assembled.

Screw and Glue-up RTA and you'll be incredibly solid for decades.
Pre-assembled means you're stuck with their anemic and laughable use of
staples. Cabinets are nothing but plain boxes with fancy fronts, don't trash
what you've got if at all possible.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1245076-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Andy Burns Wrote in message:
sweetheart wrote:

Can anyone suggest good quality for money here? I have a B&Q replacement set of drawers that started to fall apart withing months of my getting them.

No problems with my B&Q units here after 10 years so far

Which? are suggesting IKEA but thats out as there isnt one within 100 miles of me.

they deliver, or you could use a man&van type service, either to
collect, or collect and assemble.

My choices are : Wicks,

seem ok whenever I've glanced at them

Howdens ( apparently they have a place nearby I found out yesterday - saw the big lorry pulling in)

They're trade only (and quite serious about turning away DIY customers)

Somehow I.doubt this will be anywhere near DIY ;-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2017 12:51, sweetheart wrote:
[...]

We had a Howdens kitchen installed about 3 months ago and employd a
fitter who installed it. Howdens included a designer who had little to
do as the layout was the same (ish). The qualiy nis good and as a bonus
the fitter acted as a buffer between us and Howdens. They have own
brand white goods (Lamona) but we sourced our own - the only problem eas
that we said no white goods not realising that we would not have an
extractor but the fitter soon sorted this out

Do you have a builder who coul;d buy the units on your behalf?

Malcolm

( oh and I need 3 x 1000 wall units, not two as I claimed earlier. I forgot one on a different wall).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 24 October 2017 11:38:27 UTC+1, sweetheart wrote:
[...]

You can revamp it by fitting new doors, drawer fronts and worktop.
Much cheaper.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Malcolm Race Wrote in message:
[...]

They wouldn't have dealt with you (or cut the fitter his
percentage) any other way...

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Tim Streater Wrote in message:
In article ,
sweetheart wrote:

[...]

And Wren. Which is where we went. We'd prolly not go there again, but
only because they no longer make the kitchen we bought. They've gone
all "modern".

A friend had a wren fitted recently & I wasn't that
impressedthough some of that was down to.sloppy installation by
my friend's "fitter mate"....
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I always have the time to make a suggestion for you sweetcheeks.

Today's suggestion is a granite worktop.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I had no problem getting a Howdens account for the purpose of doing up a
new house. Send OH down to sign up for some "part time handyman work he
is going to do" .
I got persuaded to have a credit account rather than just pay cash/card
and get my free radio .
Probably each branch has targets to hit re new accounts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

(Google) wrote:
On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 03:38:25 -0700, sweetheart wrote:

I would recommend Howdens. Kit all comes pre-assembled and they hold it
locally, so if there is a problem you don't have to wait 6-8 weeks
for the
replacement bits to turn up. As allegedly happens with B&Q, HomeBase and
the like. Depending on the branch you can allegedly get them to
supply if
you ask nicely. However we dealt through our builders. Good quality and
good prices.

One of the reasons I looked at Howdens website was that they were
ready built. I consider the extra money worth time saved - and the
swearing from my OH as he tries to put flat packs together.

I noticed there they said you had to get your own builder. They didnt
supply one. Hence the reason I thought I could get OH to do it.Â* So, I
dont quite know how they work that on trade only.

( oh and I need 3 x 1000 wall units, not two as I claimed earlier. I
forgot one on a different wall).

I had no problem getting a Howdens account for the purpose of doing up a
new house. Send OH down to sign up for some "part time handyman work he
is going to do" .
I got persuaded to have a credit account rather than just pay cash/card
and get my free radio .

Probably each branch has targets to hit re new accounts.

:-)

I could send my cat along to set up an account with them.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

(Google) wrote:
[...]

Cats don't do what you tell them. Far more likely to set up an account
with the fishmonger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

(Google) wrote:
[...]

it.Â* So, I dont quite know how they work that on trade only.

( oh and I need 3 x 1000 wall units, not two as I claimed earlier. I
forgot one on a different wall).

I had no problem getting a Howdens account for the purpose of doing
up a new house. Send OH down to sign up for some "part time handyman
work he is going to do" .
I got persuaded to have a credit account rather than just pay
cash/card and get my free radio .

Probably each branch has targets to hit re new accounts.

:-)

I could send my cat along to set up an account with them.

Cats don't do what you tell them.

Mine does, but not for me.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote

Yes, OK, I was asking about hinges last week,
so having got one cabinet hinge fixed it seems
the rest of the kitchen is slowly falling apart. .....

Much as I do not want the disruption, I may need to get a new kitchen.

I dont want to change the design. It was w3ell done all those years
ago by RAM. I have looked up lots of kitchens and consulted Which?
but I am not convinced. Surely these kitchens are nearly all made by
one company really and sold by different brands?

I've never bought that mindlessly silly line.

So, who makes them?

No such animal.

Can anyone suggest good quality for money here?
I have a B&Q replacement set of drawers that started
to fall apart withing months of my getting them.

Which? are suggesting IKEA but thats out as there isnt
one within 100 miles of me. My choices are : Wicks, Howdens
( apparently they have a place nearby I found out yesterday -
saw the big lorry pulling in), Magnet, Homebase, .... and B&Q.

Or an online company?

Thanks for relevant suggestions (AWR appears be too busy running
over cyclists to make a useful suggestion, so thanks to all others).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Magnet seem to have a good reputation.
I think half the issue is the way the contractors put them together and
of course if they actually arrive undamaged in the first place.

Talking of kitchens, is there any company who can source ovens and hobs
that can be used by blind people? All the things one sees in showrooms
seem to be flat touch screens or with buttons that operate menu systems so
no way to use them without sight.

The glass convection ovens still mostly have just two manual
controls, one for time and the other for temperature.

But what do you blind people do when setting the time and temp with those
manual rotary controls ? Just do it by feel and imagine the label we use ?

The world has suddenly gone bonkers for this new tech, completely
forgetting the older and blind person in the process.

That’s not true of smart phones which you can tell by voice what
you want done with who to call and can trivially get them to read
you the text of what you look up on the net etc.

I use mine to control all the lights etc in the house now and
get it to tell me the time when I wake in the night, the inside
and outside temp before I get up and to turn do no disturb
on and off because some of the buggers I know can call you
at any time.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote
Andy Burns wrote

No problems with my B&Q units here after 10 years so far

Lucky you. Wish mine had lasted. Every time I open it the middle
drawer falls off its rollers. Oh tried to fix but told me it was plain
naff.

More likely he's too stupid to fix it.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 9:52:11 PM UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
sweetheart wrote
Andy Burns wrote

More likely he's too stupid to fix it.

My husband may have a lot of faults and a lot of things wrong with him since he was forced to retire when he didnt want to go ( I rue that day and I curse his employers for not allowing him to stay until he was 65. He worked. They just wanted a couple of pretty girlies, and thats not sexist because I am a woman and I can see it and say it, so they could show diversity and equality and alkl the other PC rubbish . Fine that was until the girlies got pregnant and didnt come back to work for over a year , and then went on maternity leave again within six months , and again and again. Serves then right. My husband never took a day off in his working life and even worked overtime for nothing but they didnt want to see that.

But he isnt stupid. I know the drawer unit has problems even if I cannot explain why they are. Instability of the whole unit ( maybe because it needs a kick board) is one. That leads to the drawers being out of alignment and then the middle one drops out.

However, despite is youth, that unit is in a worse state of wear than the rest of the 25 year old kitchen. Whatever I do, I will be changing that unit.. Its not part of the original kitchen. It may well be that drawer units do not last long - after all the RAM one gave up after 15 years.

I know this isnt just my problem. My mother had a B&Q kitchen fitted
(professionally) and her drawer unit did the same thing within a few months too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 5:06:53 PM UTC+1, harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 24 October 2017 11:38:27 UTC+1, sweetheart wrote:

You can revamp it by fitting new doors, drawer fronts and worktop.
Much cheaper.

It isnt really the doors or the cabinet carcass. Its the hinges. There are no suitable replacements. The Blum ones didnt really fit and were difficult to get on anyway.

Now two more doors are not shutting properly. Unlike the other door which clicked when opened, these just wont close completely anymore.

They are also a bit tatty but the main frames are strong. Some of the kick boards are a bit tatty. I would take your suggesting except I am not sure how new doors will fit given the nature of the holes in the frames. They also seem to be just as expensive as buying the whole kitchen.

I do need a work surface though. The old one is stained, rough where it should be smooth to clean, has a few bits chipped off in places and is actually burned in one place ( had an accident and set the kitchen on fire by accidentally leaving the cooker on once and it caught some socks I had placed on a work top to wash). I now switch the cooker off at the mains when not in use.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

nothing but they didnt want to see that.

But he isnt stupid. I know the drawer unit has problems even if I
cannot explain why they are. Instability of the whole unit ( maybe
because it needs a kick board) is one. That leads to the drawers
being out of alignment and then the middle one drops out.

A kick board is not structural - they clip onto the legs usually. I expect
the feet need adjusting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Oct 2017 08:54:10 GMT, Huge wrote:

I always have the time to make a suggestion for you sweetcheeks.

Today's suggestion is a granite worktop.

Awful things. They stain and when you put a hot plate on them, it may well
break as it touches the cold granite. And they're expensive.

I thought Adam meant one outside with an upright description of
Sweetheart at one end.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
sweetheart wrote:
It isnt really the doors or the cabinet carcass. Its the hinges. There
are no suitable replacements. The Blum ones didnt really fit and were
difficult to get on anyway.

Can you take a pic of an original and post a link here?

I'm not an expert on kitchens, but would be surprised if they were
specially made for just that kitchen supplier.

--
*Can fat people go skinny-dipping?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 9:19:53 AM UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
nothing but they didnt want to see that.

But he isnt stupid. I know the drawer unit has problems even if I
cannot explain why they are. Instability of the whole unit ( maybe
because it needs a kick board) is one. That leads to the drawers
being out of alignment and then the middle one drops out.

A kick board is not structural - they clip onto the legs usually. I expect
the feet need adjusting.

First thing he did was adjust feet. Hasnt ever worked ( done it several times).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

In article ,
sweetheart wrote:
It isnt really the doors or the cabinet carcass. Its the hinges. There
are no suitable replacements. The Blum ones didnt really fit and were
difficult to get on anyway.

Can you take a pic of an original and post a link here?

I'm not an expert on kitchens, but would be surprised if they were
specially made for just that kitchen supplier.

The lady wants a new kitchen. Why spoil it for her with unwanted solutions?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
In article ,
sweetheart wrote:
It isnt really the doors or the cabinet carcass. Its the hinges. There
are no suitable replacements. The Blum ones didnt really fit and were
difficult to get on anyway.

Can you take a pic of an original and post a link here?

I'm not an expert on kitchens, but would be surprised if they were
specially made for just that kitchen supplier.

The lady wants a new kitchen. Why spoil it for her with unwanted
solutions?

Does sound like it.

I made my own some 40 years ago. 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" wood frame with the usual
white faced chipboard as sides and shelves. Have updated the factory made
doors and drawer fronts a few times.

The wall cupboards are based around Spur shelving supports. Meaning they
can take pretty well any practical load, unlike many ready made units.

Thinking of updating the worktops, which are tiled on blockboard. With
inset chopping blocks at intervals - easily removed for cleaning or
replacement.

--
*Cleaned by Stevie Wonder, checked by David Blunkett*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart submitted this idea :
Lucky you. Wish mine had lasted. Every time I open it the middle drawer falls
off its rollers. Oh tried to fix but told me it was plain naff.

Many drawers are cheap, delicate and nasty. If the fronts are OK, mine
were, you can buy much more solid ones, for not a lot on Ebay. I bought
some with steel sides, back and with a really solid base. The ones we
had were a fragile plastic, with a thin ply base. Her indoors soon
broke them with the sheer weight in them and ramming them shut.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Huge

On 2017-10-24, ARW wrote:

I always have the time to make a suggestion for you sweetcheeks.

Today's suggestion is a granite worktop.

Awful things. They stain and when you put a hot plate on them, it may
well break as it touches the cold granite. And they're expensive.

+1

Unforgiving stuff, we just got rid of ours to be replaced by laminate.

Must admit to being surprised polished granite stains easily.

--
*ONE NICE THING ABOUT EGOTISTS: THEY DON'T TALK ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Huge

On 2017-10-24, ARW wrote:

I always have the time to make a suggestion for you sweetcheeks.

Today's suggestion is a granite worktop.

Awful things. They stain and when you put a hot plate on them, it may
well break as it touches the cold granite. And they're expensive.

+1

Unforgiving stuff, we just got rid of ours to be replaced by laminate.

Must admit to being surprised polished granite stains easily.

When we had a (Howdens) kitche installed a few months ago SWMBO wanted
ca light coloured worktop to contrast with the light oak units. This
ruled out granit (too dark) and marble not suitable for kitchens We
chose a material called Cimstone (may be sinstone) which is availablein
white with mottles black inserts. When we asked the intallers about
cleaning they said that it was not attacked by bany kitchen materials
and just needed a spray and wipe with worktop cleaner

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 25/10/2017 17:37, Malcolm Race wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Huge

On 2017-10-24, ARW wrote:

I always have the time to make a suggestion for you sweetcheeks.

Today's suggestion is a granite worktop.

Awful things. They stain and when you put a hot plate on them, it may
well break as it touches the cold granite. And they're expensive.

+1

Unforgiving stuff, we just got rid of ours to be replaced by laminate.

Must admit to being surprised polished granite stains easily.

When we had a (Howdens) kitche installed a few months ago SWMBO wanted
ca light coloured worktop to contrast with the light oak units.Â* This
ruled out granit (too dark) and marble not suitable for kitchensÂ* We
chose a material called Cimstone (may be sinstone) which is availablein
white with mottles black inserts.Â* When we asked the intallers about
cleaning they said that it was not attacked by bany kitchen materials
and just needed a spray and wipe with worktop cleaner

We have had our kitchen 19 years. The laminate worktop is close to new
condition.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 25/10/2017 09:54, Huge wrote:
On 2017-10-24, ARW wrote:
[...]

And what's so wrong with that?

Remember who I was replying to with my suggestion:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote
Rod Speed wrote
sweetheart wrote
Andy Burns wrote

More likely he's too stupid to fix it.

My husband may have a lot of faults

Yeah, like being silly enough to shack up with you.

and a lot of things wrong with him since he
was forced to retire when he didnt want to go

So his employer clearly decided that he was no use to them.

( I rue that day and I curse his employers
for not allowing him to stay until he was 65.

Because he was a liability.

He worked.

But is stupid.

They just wanted a couple of pretty girlies,

Easy to claim.

and thats not sexist because I am a woman and I can see
it and say it, so they could show diversity and equality and
alkl the other PC rubbish . Fine that was until the girlies got
pregnant and didnt come back to work for over a year , and
then went on maternity leave again within six months , and
again and again. Serves then right. My husband never took
a day off in his working life and even worked overtime for
nothing but they didnt want to see that.

Because he is stupid.

But he isnt stupid.

Corse he is when the other drawers work and he
can't work out why one of them doesnt, and fix
it so its the same as the ones that do work.

Its not rocket science.

I know the drawer unit has problems
even if I cannot explain why they are.

Because you are stupid.

Instability of the whole unit ( maybe
because it needs a kick board) is one.

Anyone who isnt stupid can make it stable.

That leads to the drawers being out of alignment
and then the middle one drops out.

And its completely trivial to fix that if you arent stupid.

However, despite is youth, that unit is in a worse
state of wear than the rest of the 25 year old kitchen.

Because you two were too stupid to fix it.

Whatever I do, I will be changing that unit.

And will be just as stupid with its replacement.

Its not part of the original kitchen. It may well be that drawer units
do not last long - after all the RAM one gave up after 15 years.

I know this isnt just my problem. My mother had a B&Q kitchen fitted
(professionally)
and her drawer unit did the same thing within a few months too.

So the stupidity is clearly genetic.

Fitted Kitchens UK, Best Rate in Fitted Kitchens, Bespoke FittedFurniture fittedkitchenuk Home Repair 0 June 5th 10 03:09 PM
NEW KITCHEN - SUPPLY AND FITTING - County Kitchens Thelma Loveett UK diy 3 March 28th 05 10:04 PM
B&Q Kitchens jaime UK diy 43 April 21st 04 03:15 PM
Stone worktops in kitchens Seamus Mc Loughlin UK diy 12 October 1st 03 07:20 AM
arena kitchens IMM UK diy 2 July 14th 03 07:45 PM