Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Curtain rails into concrete lintels

This weekend I was tasked with the job of a curtain rail.

Having attempted said challenge previously and failed due to being
unable to drill holes in lintel and not knowing if there was steel
involved as SDS bit would bounce and wonder I decided to try a 3mm HSS
bit first off.

It didn't penetrate and no swarf was evident so presumed concrete and
went back to the SDS bit to find the small HSS drill bit had made enough
of a recess/dimple in the lintel to keep SDS bit exactly on the right
spot and able to drill the perfect hole with ease.

First time ever I've managed to put up a curtain with so many holes all
drilled in exactly the right location.

No longer shall this task haunt me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2017 15:12, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
This weekend I was tasked with the job of a curtain rail.

Having attempted said challenge previously and failed due to being
unable to drill holes in lintel and not knowing if there was steel
involved as SDS bit would bounce and wonder I decided to try a 3mm HSS
bit first off.

It didn't penetrate and no swarf was evident so presumed concrete and
went back to the SDS bit to find the small HSS drill bit had made enough
of a recess/dimple in the lintel to keep SDS bit exactly on the right
spot and able to drill the perfect hole with ease.

First time ever I've managed to put up a curtain with so many holes all
drilled in exactly the right location.

No longer shall this task haunt me.

The other thing to consider for this job is those cobalt bits which look
like ordinary HSS drills but which are equally happy with masonry or metal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2017 15:19, newshound wrote:

The other thing to consider for this job is those cobalt bits which look
like ordinary HSS drills but which are equally happy with masonry or metal.

That was to be my next question.

I'll grab a couple should I have to do any of the other rooms in the
future.
Cheers - Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to www.GymRatZ.co.uk, Iggy wrote:
Wonderful. And yes, drilling metal is always best, easiest and fastest done
with a small pilot hole, preferably drilled all of the way through. This, is
because the actual knife edges or cutters of the drill tip on a large drill
bit don't bite-in enough nor easily at the point. Thus, clearing the point
area with a much smaller bit (broader than the large bit's point) allows the
large bit's cutters to dig right in almost effortlessly.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1244856-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 23 October 2017 15:12:29 UTC+1, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
This weekend I was tasked with the job of a curtain rail.

Having attempted said challenge previously and failed due to being
unable to drill holes in lintel and not knowing if there was steel
involved as SDS bit would bounce and wonder I decided to try a 3mm HSS
bit first off.

It didn't penetrate and no swarf was evident so presumed concrete and
went back to the SDS bit to find the small HSS drill bit had made enough
of a recess/dimple in the lintel to keep SDS bit exactly on the right
spot and able to drill the perfect hole with ease.

First time ever I've managed to put up a curtain with so many holes all
drilled in exactly the right location.

No longer shall this task haunt me.

A lot easier to glue up a strip of wood & screw the rail to that. It also doesn't break or expose the rebar in the lintel.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
This weekend I was tasked with the job of a curtain rail.

Having attempted said challenge previously and failed due to being
unable to drill holes in lintel and not knowing if there was steel
involved as SDS bit would bounce and wonder I decided to try a 3mm HSS
bit first off.

It didn't penetrate and no swarf was evident so presumed concrete and
went back to the SDS bit to find the small HSS drill bit had made enough
of a recess/dimple in the lintel to keep SDS bit exactly on the right
spot and able to drill the perfect hole with ease.

First time ever I've managed to put up a curtain with so many holes all
drilled in exactly the right location.

No longer shall this task haunt me.

A lot easier to glue up a strip of wood & screw the rail to that. It also doesn't break or expose the rebar in the lintel.

Glue the wood to the plaster? Is that strong enough?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/17 15:19, newshound wrote:
[...]

+1.

I used these for drilling into a lintel, and quite simply they are the
best drill bits I've ever bought:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-multipurpose-drill-bit-set-4pcs/95958

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 23 October 2017 18:53:53 UTC+1, GB wrote:
On 23/10/2017 18:49, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

Something like a 2x3/4 strip covers a lot of area.

NT