Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Minimal cost/effort projector screen

I've been looking at various commercial and homebuilt projector
screens. Some are expensive, some have very bad reviews and some
require quite a bit of work.

I have an old brick and plaster internal cottage wall. It doesn't seem
too bad for smoothness but there is some heavily embossed anaglypta
paper on there.

I'm thinking of cutting the required rectagular size out of the
existing wallpaper and replacing it with a smooth paper, perhaps
lining paper, then painting the screen area with some appropriate
paint.

I'm not a home cinema geek. I bought my used projector for 20 quid
from a local website. This I mention just to give some context to my
expected cost level.

Any helpfull hints and tips would be most appreciated.
--

Richard Treen

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Treen wrote:
I've been looking at various commercial and homebuilt projector
screens. Some are expensive, some have very bad reviews and some
require quite a bit of work.

I have an old brick and plaster internal cottage wall. It doesn't seem
too bad for smoothness but there is some heavily embossed anaglypta
paper on there.

I'm thinking of cutting the required rectagular size out of the
existing wallpaper and replacing it with a smooth paper, perhaps
lining paper, then painting the screen area with some appropriate
paint.

I'm not a home cinema geek. I bought my used projector for 20 quid
from a local website. This I mention just to give some context to my
expected cost level.

Any helpfull hints and tips would be most appreciated.

Any flat white area will work but the brightest screens used to be glass
beaded.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 18 October 2017 13:57:11 UTC+1, Richard Treen wrote:
I've been looking at various commercial and homebuilt projector
screens. Some are expensive, some have very bad reviews and some
require quite a bit of work.

I have an old brick and plaster internal cottage wall. It doesn't seem
too bad for smoothness but there is some heavily embossed anaglypta
paper on there.

I'm thinking of cutting the required rectagular size out of the
existing wallpaper and replacing it with a smooth paper, perhaps
lining paper, then painting the screen area with some appropriate
paint.

I'm not a home cinema geek. I bought my used projector for 20 quid
from a local website. This I mention just to give some context to my
expected cost level.

Any helpfull hints and tips would be most appreciated.

You can use aluminium flake but white is fine.
Don't expect the projector to last though, the less you use it the better really.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2017 13:57, Richard Treen wrote:
I've been looking at various commercial and homebuilt projector
screens. Some are expensive, some have very bad reviews and some
require quite a bit of work.

I have an old brick and plaster internal cottage wall. It doesn't seem
too bad for smoothness but there is some heavily embossed anaglypta
paper on there.

That stuff can cover a multitude of sins (and very probably does).

I'm thinking of cutting the required rectagular size out of the
existing wallpaper and replacing it with a smooth paper, perhaps
lining paper, then painting the screen area with some appropriate
paint.

Even magnolia will work OK since the eye has an automatic white balance.

I'm not a home cinema geek. I bought my used projector for 20 quid
from a local website. This I mention just to give some context to my
expected cost level.

Any helpfull hints and tips would be most appreciated.

Dulux does a superwhite paint that might be suitable, but it might look
a bit out of place in a living space. How big will the screen be?

You can get 3mm and 5mm foamed PVC sheet in large sizes and it is flat.
8'x4' is about £30. Otherwise I'd use plasterboard and white paint.

Expect to need a second mortgage when the projector bulb expires - it is
often cheaper to buy a next generation projector than a new replacement
bulb for an older model! I'm not kidding!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 13:57:13 +0100, Richard Treen
wrote:

I've been looking at various commercial and homebuilt projector
screens. Some are expensive, some have very bad reviews and some
require quite a bit of work.

I have an old brick and plaster internal cottage wall. It doesn't seem
too bad for smoothness but there is some heavily embossed anaglypta
paper on there.

I'm thinking of cutting the required rectagular size out of the
existing wallpaper and replacing it with a smooth paper, perhaps
lining paper, then painting the screen area with some appropriate
paint.

You can get paint intended for the purpose .

Or you can actually get screen material loose like wallpaper,
or if you find one big enough a second hand screen and remove the
material from the mounts and stick it on the wall.

I'm not a home cinema geek. I bought my used projector for 20 quid
from a local website. This I mention just to give some context to my
expected cost level.

The tins of paint mentioned above are about 3 times that and I have no
idea how effective they really are.
Without knowing if your projector was originally only £300 and
unlikely to benefit from a really good surface or one that was once
£3000 a few years back and has been replaced by an enthusiast
upgrading for fashion (do Apple make projectors ?) and still delivers
a really high definition picture that a coat of Dulux white won't do
justice to is only something you can decide.

Nothing to stop you doing that and putting more expensive stuff over
later if it isn't good enough.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 18 October 2017 13:57:11 UTC+1, Richard Treen wrote:
I've been looking at various commercial and homebuilt projector
screens. Some are expensive, some have very bad reviews and some
require quite a bit of work.

If you can live without widescreen you can pick up old slide projector screens on tripods for little or no money.

Cut them down to make a smaller widescreen.

You can also buy PVC coated off-white blackout blinds from eg Argos for very little.

If you want beaded glass, you can get the glass beads from road white-lining suppliers and dash them on to wet paint.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Projector screens have glass microbeads on the surface.
Makes a brighter picture.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 13:57:13 +0100, Richard Treen
wrote:

Thanks for all the good advice. I'll look into the alternative methods
suggested.

The projector is an Optoma EP7150. I can buy a bulb from China for
under 20 quid. There are combination bulbs and housings available
elsewhere for about 140 quid.

I told my missus that we'd probably be better off buying a big telly
in the long run but she's very much a bird in the hand girl.
And it is quite an interesting toy.

I recently took it to Canada in my suitcase. it saved us many, many
hours of thumb twiddling in our rented apartment.
Not that I couldn't read a book, which I happily did.
--

Richard Treen

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 14:50:12 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

[...]

92" diagonal. About 45 by 80 inches

You can get 3mm and 5mm foamed PVC sheet in large sizes and it is flat.
8'x4' is about £30. Otherwise I'd use plasterboard and white paint.

That sounds like good stuff maybe a bit thin to hang on the wall but
maybe it would stick on and be more effective than paper.

Expect to need a second mortgage when the projector bulb expires - it is
often cheaper to buy a next generation projector than a new replacement
bulb for an older model! I'm not kidding!

--

Richard Treen

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I'm not terribly fussy. I've seen the ultra expensive paint in my
searches and I think it's probably wonderful stuff for the
connoisseur.

Nothing to stop you doing that and putting more expensive stuff over
later if it isn't good enough.

That makes sense, thanks.

G.Harman

--

Richard Treen

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 07:36:55 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

[...]

I'm definitely warming to that idea.
--

Richard Treen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 00:01:35 +1100, FMurtz
wrote:

Richard Treen wrote:
[...]

I checked and see that many still are. It's quite a game isn't it?
--

Richard Treen

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Projector screens have glass microbeads on the surface.
Makes a brighter picture.

I'm definitely warming to that idea.

Try it with one of the better brilliant white emulsion formulations
before you splash out on anything too exotic. You pay dearly for that
last 5% improvement and in a darkened room it doesn't much matter.

Projecting in a less than dark room the microbeads make the picture look
brighter and contrasty for the audience on axis with the projector.

Basically light goes back along a broader path that it came in along.
Flat white and any light hitting at shallow angles kills the blacks.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Projector screens have glass microbeads on the surface.
Makes a brighter picture.

I'm definitely warming to that idea.

Try it with one of the better brilliant white emulsion formulations
before you splash out on anything too exotic. You pay dearly for that
last 5% improvement and in a darkened room it doesn't much matter.

Projecting in a less than dark room the microbeads make the picture look
brighter and contrasty for the audience on axis with the projector.

Basically light goes back along a broader path that it came in along.
Flat white and any light hitting at shallow angles kills the blacks.

You _don't_ want brilliant white, they are darker than plain white. Brilliant has a very tiny bit of blue added.

How you would ever get even distribution of microbeads on a wall I can't imagine, it's not remotely worth considering unless you find you just can't get enough brightness.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2017 13:57, Richard Treen wrote:
I've been looking at various commercial and homebuilt projector
screens. Some are expensive, some have very bad reviews and some
require quite a bit of work.

I have an old brick and plaster internal cottage wall. It doesn't seem
too bad for smoothness but there is some heavily embossed anaglypta
paper on there.

I'm thinking of cutting the required rectagular size out of the
existing wallpaper and replacing it with a smooth paper, perhaps
lining paper, then painting the screen area with some appropriate
paint.

I'm not a home cinema geek. I bought my used projector for 20 quid
from a local website. This I mention just to give some context to my
expected cost level.

Any helpfull hints and tips would be most appreciated.

My dad used to pin a white sheet to the curtain for our magic lantern
shows. I remember Little Black Sambo and the twinkling star at the end
of the show.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 18 October 2017 20:23:17 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:
My dad used to pin a white sheet to the curtain for our magic lantern
shows. I remember Little Black Sambo and the twinkling star at the end
of the show.

I (hope I) still have the Little Black Sambo book from childhood.

At school we got Film Strips projected on to the grey steel skirting-to-ceiling radiator covers.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Most tv projectors need slightly curved screens and need them coated with
special paint to reflect and keep the colours neutral.

You often find the picture is too dark and hard to focus if you just paint a
surface white.

Is this projector a three crt one, as the tubes only have a limited life
span and are hard to get nowadays.
I know this as a Friend bought one second hand from a shop in the west end
who went over to a plasma screen

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Richard Treen" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
You can get 3mm and 5mm foamed PVC sheet in large sizes and it is flat.
8'x4' is about £30. Otherwise I'd use plasterboard and white paint.

That sounds like good stuff maybe a bit thin to hang on the wall but
maybe it would stick on and be more effective than paper.

The 5mm is certainly rigid enough to hang, and either can be
stuck to the wall with no more nails type adhesive.

--
Jón Fairbairn
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 07:57:41 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Most tv projectors need slightly curved screens and need them coated with
special paint to reflect and keep the colours neutral.

You often find the picture is too dark and hard to focus if you just paint a
surface white.

Is this projector a three crt one, as the tubes only have a limited life
span and are hard to get nowadays.
I know this as a Friend bought one second hand from a shop in the west end
who went over to a plasma screen

I'm not sure about the three crt but I read that the bulb should last
for 200 hours and replacements range from 18 quid (for just the bulb)
to 146 (for bulb and holder).

Brian

--

Richard Treen

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Thanks for all the good advice. I'll look into the alternative methods
suggested.

The projector is an Optoma EP7150. I can buy a bulb from China for
under 20 quid. There are combination bulbs and housings available
elsewhere for about 140 quid.

Be careful. They are called Ultra High Pressure lamps, which is
why they come complete in a housing to contain exploding bulbs.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

brilliant white, they are darker than plain white. Brilliant has a
very tiny bit of blue added.

How you would ever get even distribution of microbeads on a wall I can't imagine, it's not remotely worth considering unless you find you just can't get enough brightness.

I think you're right. It would maybe have to be applied somehow off
the wall.

NT

A quick search shows glass beaded 100 inch diagonal roller-blind style
screens available for about £100. Second-hand screens would presumably
be a lot less. Could you not remove the screen from such an item and
mount it on a board?

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 20:24:02 +0100, Graham.
wrote:

brilliant white, they are darker than plain white. Brilliant has a
very tiny bit of blue added.

How you would ever get even distribution of microbeads on a wall I can't imagine, it's not remotely worth considering unless you find you just can't get enough brightness.

I think you're right. It would maybe have to be applied somehow off
the wall.

NT

A quick search shows glass beaded 100 inch diagonal roller-blind style
screens available for about £100. Second-hand screens would presumably
be a lot less. Could you not remove the screen from such an item and
mount it on a board?

Thanks, I'll have a look around for one of those.
--

Richard Treen

---