Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another anti-diy law

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41614990

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2017 13:15, wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41614990

NT

Rubbish, it doesn't stop you buying acids.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2017 13:15, wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41614990

NT

An how is a corrosive substance going to be defined? My weekly/monthly
shop includes many substances labelled as corrosive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 05:15:51 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41614990

Hardly, if there is a statutory defence. The same applies to a
Stanley knife which cannot be carried without reasonable excuse. This
does not make carpet fitting illegal. I suggest you read the proposal
first and comment second.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 14:10:52 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

On 14/10/2017 13:15, wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41614990

NT

Rubbish, it doesn't stop you buying acids.

Or the postman delivering (carrying in public) my 'fill it yourself
with the acid provided' motorcycle battery.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14-Oct-17 2:10 PM, dennis@home wrote:
On 14/10/2017 13:15, wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41614990

NT

Rubbish, it doesn't stop you buying acids.

This is how I bought some last time:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kilrock-Spi...pirits+of+salt

Considerably cheaper than buying it locally, although I was slightly
surprised that it came by ordinary carrier.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 14/10/2017 13:15, wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41614990

NT

Rubbish, it doesn't stop you buying acids.

Or the postman delivering (carrying in public) my 'fill it yourself
with the acid provided' motorcycle battery.

Cheers, T i m

See - "An individual caught with the substance would have to prove
they had good reason for possessing it."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 14/10/2017 13:15, wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41614990

NT

An how is a corrosive substance going to be defined? My weekly/monthly
shop includes many substances labelled as corrosive.

See - "An individual caught with the substance would have to prove
they had good reason for possessing it."

I was under the impression that in the UK the convention of innocent
until proved guilty prevails. I shouldn't have to prove that I have a
lawful purpose for what I'm carrying.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2017 13:15, tabbypurr wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41614990

Rubbish, it doesn't stop you buying acids.

This is how I bought some last time:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kilrock-Spi...pirits+of+salt

Considerably cheaper than buying it locally, although I was slightly
surprised that it came by ordinary carrier.

seems a lot for dilute acid.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 14/10/2017 13:15, tabbypurr wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41614990

An how is a corrosive substance going to be defined? My weekly/monthly
shop includes many substances labelled as corrosive.

See - "An individual caught with the substance would have to prove
they had good reason for possessing it."

and how can you possibly prove what you intend to do with it?

I was under the impression that in the UK the convention of innocent
until proved guilty prevails. I shouldn't have to prove that I have a
lawful purpose for what I'm carrying.

That might have been the case once. It certainly isn't today.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2017 17:24, Tim Streater wrote:

Would that include explosives and firearms, then?

Yes
It's up to the authorities (Police/Courts) to prove that I have an
unlawful intent. It doesn't stop me from being arrested on suspicion in
the meantime.

I guess that a large percentage of the population will be buying
explosives in the run up to Nov 5th.

Many thousands of people will be shooting (legally) this weekend.

This law will change nothing with regards acid attacks. Just drain a car
battery etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 05:15:51 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41614990

Someone will blame it on the EU and say it's a new EU regulation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 14/10/2017 13:15, wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41614990

NT

Rubbish, it doesn't stop you buying acids.

Or the postman delivering (carrying in public) my 'fill it yourself
with the acid provided' motorcycle battery.

Cheers, T i m

See - "An individual caught with the substance would have to prove
they had good reason for possessing it."

Quite ... I was confirming denisis's suggestion that it shouldn't
affect any genuine 'carrying' (or possession).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 14/10/2017 13:15, wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41614990

NT

An how is a corrosive substance going to be defined? My weekly/monthly
shop includes many substances labelled as corrosive.

See - "An individual caught with the substance would have to prove
they had good reason for possessing it."

I was under the impression that in the UK the convention of innocent
until proved guilty prevails. I shouldn't have to prove that I have a
lawful purpose for what I'm carrying.

Not in all cases. Other examples include reasonable excuse for
carrying a knife (unless folding penknife), requirement to produce a
driving licence at a nominated police station within seven days,
requirement to produce a certificate of insurance within seven days,
requirement to produce a valid ticket on demand on a train.

It seems to me the aim is to bring noxious substances into line with
knives, which seems entirely reasonable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 17:40:20 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 14/10/2017 17:24, Tim Streater wrote:

Would that include explosives and firearms, then?

Yes
It's up to the authorities (Police/Courts) to prove that I have an
unlawful intent. It doesn't stop me from being arrested on suspicion in
the meantime.

Are you sure about that? I thought a firearm was a prohibited item
per se?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote
wrote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41614990

An how is a corrosive substance going to be defined?

Ones that will injure people seriously if chucked on them.

My weekly/monthly shop includes
many substances labelled as corrosive.

But few of those would be much use to injure someone deliberately.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 14/10/2017 13:15, wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41614990

NT

An how is a corrosive substance going to be defined? My weekly/monthly
shop includes many substances labelled as corrosive.

See - "An individual caught with the substance would have to prove
they had good reason for possessing it."

I was under the impression that in the UK the convention of innocent until
proved guilty prevails.

Its nothing like that simple in practice.

I shouldn't have to prove that I have a lawful purpose for what I'm
carrying.

Yes you should with stuff that can be used to kill people
easily which it makes no sense for everyone to be carrying.

You arent free to carry a loaded gun around with you
even if that is a perfectly innocent thing to do if you
are say into target shooting on a range etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote
Tim Streater wrote
alan_m wrote

I was under the impression that in the UK the convention of innocent
until proved guilty prevails.

Not even true of your tax return.

I shouldn't have to prove that I have a lawful purpose for what I'm
carrying.

Would that include explosives and firearms, then?

Yes

Nope, and hasnt been for a very long time now.

It's up to the authorities (Police/Courts) to prove that I have an
unlawful intent.

Not even possible.

It doesn't stop me from being arrested on suspicion in the meantime.

I guess that a large percentage of the population will be buying
explosives in the run up to Nov 5th.

Those arent much good for killing people with.

Many thousands of people will be shooting (legally) this weekend.

But arent free to wander around the streets with loaded firearms getting
there.

This law will change nothing with regards acid attacks.

It will make it a lot easier to charge and convict those
who are carrying acid they intend to throw on others.

Just drain a car battery etc.

Its the carrying that is being restricted, not access to the acid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 14/10/2017 17:24, Tim Streater wrote:

Would that include explosives and firearms, then?

Yes
It's up to the authorities (Police/Courts) to prove that I have an
unlawful intent. It doesn't stop me from being arrested on suspicion in
the meantime.

Are you sure about that? I thought a firearm was a prohibited item
per se?

Around my way on a calm day you can hear guns going off for most of the
day (usually weekends). I assume wild fowl/rabbit shooting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 05:15:51 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41614990

Someone will blame it on the EU and say it's a new EU regulation.

It is. The unspeakable BBC just doesnt have the balls to admit that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 14/10/2017 17:24, Tim Streater wrote:

Would that include explosives and firearms, then?

Yes
It's up to the authorities (Police/Courts) to prove that I have an
unlawful intent. It doesn't stop me from being arrested on suspicion in
the meantime.

Are you sure about that? I thought a firearm was a prohibited item
per se?

Nope, you are still free to shoot targets and some wildlife.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2017 14:13, Scott wrote:
On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 05:15:51 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41614990

Hardly, if there is a statutory defence. The same applies to a
Stanley knife which cannot be carried without reasonable excuse. This
does not make carpet fitting illegal. I suggest you read the proposal
first and comment second.

The trouble with knives is that I have often been doing some diy. My
wife has called on me to go out shopping and the next thing is that I
find I am wandering around the supermarket with a knife, long, thin
screwdriver or similar in my pocket!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 14/10/2017 17:24, Tim Streater wrote:

Would that include explosives and firearms, then?

Yes
It's up to the authorities (Police/Courts) to prove that I have an
unlawful intent. It doesn't stop me from being arrested on suspicion in
the meantime.

Are you sure about that? I thought a firearm was a prohibited item
per se?

Nope, you are still free to shoot targets and some wildlife.

And no-one actually stops you shooting any wildlife. (Notes hawks and
badgers tastefully arranged on the local carriageways to look like
roadkill.)

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2017 20:43, Steve Walker wrote:

The trouble with knives is that I have often been doing some diy. My
wife has called on me to go out shopping and the next thing is that I
find I am wandering around the supermarket with a knife, long, thin
screwdriver or similar in my pocket!

+1
When DIY I often carry one of those folding "Stanley blade" type knives
in my pocket and then when going out to get more supplies or even
walking to the local supermarket to get food I find I'm still carrying it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message

wrote:

On 14/10/2017 17:24, Tim Streater wrote:

Would that include explosives and firearms, then?

Yes
It's up to the authorities (Police/Courts) to prove that I have an
unlawful intent. It doesn't stop me from being arrested on suspicion
in
the meantime.

Are you sure about that? I thought a firearm was a prohibited item
per se?

Nope, you are still free to shoot targets and some wildlife.

And no-one actually stops you shooting any wildlife.

Corse they do with Rumanians and Poles.

(Notes hawks and badgers tastefully arranged
on the local carriageways to look like roadkill.)

And don’t forget the nuns and bike riders.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14-Oct-17 5:17 PM, wrote:
On Saturday, 14 October 2017 16:42:17 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:
On 14-Oct-17 2:10 PM, dennis@home wrote:
On 14/10/2017 13:15, tabbypurr wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41614990

Rubbish, it doesn't stop you buying acids.

This is how I bought some last time:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kilrock-Spi...pirits+of+salt

Considerably cheaper than buying it locally, although I was slightly
surprised that it came by ordinary carrier.

seems a lot for dilute acid.

It fumes when you use it and costs about £5.50 a bottle in the local
ironmongers.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 14/10/2017 13:15, wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41614990

NT

Rubbish, it doesn't stop you buying acids.

Or the postman delivering (carrying in public) my 'fill it yourself
with the acid provided' motorcycle battery.

Toilet cleaner?

Whilst I have had to do that along the way, I've mostly been in IT
Support? ;-)

Cheers. T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 14/10/2017 17:24, Tim Streater wrote:

Would that include explosives and firearms, then?

Yes
It's up to the authorities (Police/Courts) to prove that I have an
unlawful intent. It doesn't stop me from being arrested on suspicion in
the meantime.

Are you sure about that? I thought a firearm was a prohibited item
per se?

Around my way on a calm day you can hear guns going off for most of the
day (usually weekends). I assume wild fowl/rabbit shooting.

Fair point. I did not think this through. What I said was far too
wide. Thanks for clarifying.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 06:09:49 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

On 14/10/2017 17:24, Tim Streater wrote:

Would that include explosives and firearms, then?

Yes
It's up to the authorities (Police/Courts) to prove that I have an
unlawful intent. It doesn't stop me from being arrested on suspicion in
the meantime.

Are you sure about that? I thought a firearm was a prohibited item
per se?

Nope, you are still free to shoot targets and some wildlife.

Now acknowledged.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/17 17:56, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 05:15:51 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41614990

Someone will blame it on the EU and say it's a new EU regulation.

We are capable of being just as stupid without EU assistance.

The 'carrying a concealed weapon' being used to prosecute some boy
scouts out camping in the middle of knowhere because one of themn had an
oversized penknife in his pocket

Techiunically driving around with a van full of tools is probably an
offence, if you are not a tradesman

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 14/10/2017 13:15, wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41614990

NT

An how is a corrosive substance going to be defined? My weekly/monthly
shop includes many substances labelled as corrosive.

See - "An individual caught with the substance would have to prove
they had good reason for possessing it."

I wanna **** my ex up. Thats a good reason so can I go now ossifer?

:-)

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 05:15:51 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41614990

NT

Does this mean that under 18s can no longer buy oven cleaner?

Although they can get married and join the armed forces, of course, if
over 16.

Cheers

Dave R

P.S. I know that oven cleaners are mainly alkali but they are still
extremely corrosive and very effective at stripping paint off cars
(allegedly). Which brings us to Nitromors, of course.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
On 14/10/17 17:56, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 05:15:51 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41614990

Someone will blame it on the EU and say it's a new EU regulation.

We are capable of being just as stupid without EU assistance.

The 'carrying a concealed weapon' being used to prosecute some boy scouts
out camping in the middle of knowhere because one of themn had an
oversized penknife in his pocket

Techiunically driving around with a van full of tools is probably an
offence, if you are not a tradesman

No, its fine to borrow the van from the tradesman legally.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15-Oct-17 12:51 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, 15 October 2017 09:21:24 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:
On 14-Oct-17 5:17 PM, tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 14 October 2017 16:42:17 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:
On 14-Oct-17 2:10 PM, dennis@home wrote:
On 14/10/2017 13:15, tabbypurr wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41614990

Rubbish, it doesn't stop you buying acids.

This is how I bought some last time:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kilrock-Spi...pirits+of+salt

Considerably cheaper than buying it locally, although I was slightly
surprised that it came by ordinary carrier.

seems a lot for dilute acid.

It fumes when you use it and costs about £5.50 a bottle in the local
ironmongers.

Ebay's cheaper.

For several reasons, I don't use Ebay.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 15 October 2017 20:16:16 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 15-Oct-17 12:51 PM, tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 15 October 2017 09:21:24 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:
On 14-Oct-17 5:17 PM, tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 14 October 2017 16:42:17 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:
On 14-Oct-17 2:10 PM, dennis@home wrote:
On 14/10/2017 13:15, tabbypurr wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41614990

Rubbish, it doesn't stop you buying acids.

This is how I bought some last time:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kilrock-Spi...pirits+of+salt

Considerably cheaper than buying it locally, although I was slightly
surprised that it came by ordinary carrier.

seems a lot for dilute acid.

It fumes when you use it and costs about £5.50 a bottle in the local
ironmongers.

Ebay's cheaper.

For several reasons, I don't use Ebay.

More fool you.

Sometimes it's worth its issues, sometimes not.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
[...]

So he is a fool for never using it.