Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RAM Kitchens - need a hinge

Hi, does anyone know where I might be able to get a hinge to fit a RAM kitchen wall cabinet? Its no 6 type - metal and plastic.

One of mine is faulty. OH has said he can replace it. I found a place on the internet which said it did RAM discontinued parts but it seems it too is discontinued ( I phoned - number not obtainable).

If anyone knows these kitchens , can you suggest where I might purchase a hinge for said cabinet - or one that is the same but a different make ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:

does anyone know where I might be able to get a hinge
to fit a RAM kitchen wall cabinet? Its no 6 type - metal and plastic.

It doesn't look a million miles from a normal Blum hinge

http://www.ramkitchens.com/images/hinges/hinge6.jpg

I assume you've got another non-broken example on a different cabinet?
Send OH to the shops with it to compare with what's available ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 10:10:06 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

It doesn't look a million miles from a normal Blum hinge

http://www.ramkitchens.com/images/hinges/hinge6.jpg

I assume you've got another non-broken example on a different cabinet?
Send OH to the shops with it to compare with what's available ...

.... and replace all (usually two) hinges on the cabinet, then it doesn't have to
be an exact match.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thank you both for your replies.

My OH hardly ever leaves the house these days. He looked at screwfix on the internet and I ordered a pack of two Blum hinges. However, I cannot collect until tomorrow so I do not know if they will fit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2017 15:46, sweetheart wrote:
Thank you both for your replies.

My OH hardly ever leaves the house these days.

Too busy fitting the new CH and giving the old boiler a good servicing
by any chance?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, October 9, 2017 at 9:53:34 AM UTC+1, sweetheart wrote:
Hi, does anyone know where I might be able to get a hinge to fit a RAM kitchen wall cabinet? Its no 6 type - metal and plastic.

I got the blum ones from screwfix but they wont fit it seems. A bit sad. They are very similar but the old RAM ones seem to be push fits rather than screwed ..... anyway, I guess I am stuck. OH has changed the hinge for one off another cabinet door which I use less.

Nothing these days ever fits properly, I guess its the manufacturers way of insuring you have to buy a new kitchen from them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:

I got the blum ones from screwfix but they wont fit it seems.

Well there are variations in hole sizes and offset distances which is
why I suggested taking one in to compare. If OH has a drill press you
can get a hinge hole cutter to allow fitting the new ones a few inches
up or down from the originals ... don't try doing it free-hand it will
wander all over and make a useless hole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/2017 08:32, Andy Burns wrote:
sweetheart wrote:

I got the blum ones from screwfix but they wont fit it seems.

Well there are variations in hole sizes and offset distances which is
why I suggested taking one in to compare.Â* If OH has a drill press you
can get a hinge hole cutter to allow fitting the new ones a few inches
up or down from the originals ... don't try doing it free-hand it will
wander all over and make a useless hole.

+1

You *can* get flange-mount ones which don't need a hole at all. If it is
a heavy door you could fit two pairs. It does require someone with a bit
of "feel" to fit screws securely into chipboard, I find a pilot hole is
essential.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ca...mpdxjZS_gvK9M:
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

sweetheart wrote:

I got the blum ones from screwfix but they wont fit it seems.

Well there are variations in hole sizes and offset distances which is
why I suggested taking one in to compare.Â* If OH has a drill press you
can get a hinge hole cutter to allow fitting the new ones a few inches
up or down from the originals ... don't try doing it free-hand it will
wander all over and make a useless hole.

+1

You *can* get flange-mount ones which don't need a hole at all. If it is
a heavy door you could fit two pairs. It does require someone with a bit
of "feel" to fit screws securely into chipboard, I find a pilot hole is
essential.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ca...mpdxjZS_gvK9M:

If You have two cupboards side by side, you can drill right through and
bolt the hinge on one side to the hinge on the other. That is then an
*extremely* strong fixing!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

sweetheart Wrote in message:
On Monday, October 9, 2017 at 9:53:34 AM UTC+1, sweetheart wrote:
Hi, does anyone know where I might be able to get a hinge to fit a RAM kitchen wall cabinet? Its no 6 type - metal and plastic.

I got the blum ones from screwfix but they wont fit it seems. A bit sad. They are very similar but the old RAM ones seem to be push fits rather than screwed ..... anyway, I guess I am stuck. OH has changed the hinge for one off another cabinet door which I use less.

Nothing these days ever fits properly, I guess its the manufacturers way of insuring you have to buy a new kitchen from them.

Are you sure you don't have a screw loose?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/