Wayne Makowicki

Default Round Ram bridgeport milling machine

What is a "Round Ram" bridgeport milling machine. Someone has offered
one for $100.00. There are no collets and the seller is not sure if they
can be bought. It also has a 440 3 phase motor. Any input would be
great, thank you

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Wayne Makowicki" wrote in message
.net...
What is a "Round Ram" bridgeport milling machine. Someone has offered
one for $100.00. There are no collets and the seller is not sure if they
can be bought. It also has a 440 3 phase motor. Any input would be
great, thank you

The early models of BP had round rams instead of the heavy cast one with
which you may be familiar. The fact that it's a round ram, therefore,
tells you that this is an old machine, but it would have to be in pretty
poor condition to not be worth $100. Unless it's rusted, or worn out
terribly, I'd suggest it's a good deal.

I don't know if the old machines used something different from the R8
collets, but, if so, you could likely find some on ebay. You might have to
be patient, but almost anything you may want shows up eventually.

The motor likely can be hooked up for 220V, but you're stuck with the 3
phase as it sits. You could buy a static 3 phase converter, which would
work well enough for hobby use. One sacrifices some of the HP when running
static converters.

Harold

BW

I have a round ram with a step pulley J head with a 220V 3 phase pancake
motor.

I also believe that they came with the M head. I have had no trouble with
the machine holding tram and it works great.
The entire ram is geared and can rotate the head along the x axis. It has
come in quite handy when I had to cut slots at a angle. I have also used it
to rough in dovetails.
I believe the head determines what collets it will use. Mine use standard R8
collets.

I paid considerably more than $100 but yours would be worth looking at. You
may find a diamond in the rough.

Good luck.

BW
"Wayne Makowicki" wrote in message
.net...
What is a "Round Ram" bridgeport milling machine. Someone has offered
one for $100.00. There are no collets and the seller is not sure if they
can be bought. It also has a 440 3 phase motor. Any input would be
great, thank you

timleech

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:00:58 -0700, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Wayne Makowicki" wrote in message
k.net...
What is a "Round Ram" bridgeport milling machine. Someone has offered
one for $100.00. There are no collets and the seller is not sure if they
can be bought. It also has a 440 3 phase motor. Any input would be
great, thank you

The early models of BP had round rams instead of the heavy cast one with
which you may be familiar. The fact that it's a round ram, therefore,
tells you that this is an old machine, but it would have to be in pretty
poor condition to not be worth $100. Unless it's rusted, or worn out
terribly, I'd suggest it's a good deal.

I don't know if the old machines used something different from the R8
collets, but, if so, you could likely find some on ebay. You might have to
be patient, but almost anything you may want shows up eventually.

Some of them used B3 collets, which are a bit like hen's teeth, at
least in the UK.

Cheers
Tim
Tim Leech
Dutton Dry-Dock

Jran

we have one at work we are still using. uses the R8 collets. the only thing
that I can think of that is a bad thing with it is the head can't be trammed
in the short (y) axis. the table was rescraped by a professional about 14
years ago and we only tilted the head one time since then.

"Wayne Makowicki" wrote in message
.net...
What is a "Round Ram" bridgeport milling machine. Someone has offered
one for $100.00. There are no collets and the seller is not sure if they
can be bought. It also has a 440 3 phase motor. Any input would be
great, thank you

George Willer

Wayne,

Mine came with a 220 single phase motor that I believe is original...lucky,
I guess. It has B&S #7 taper which works well for the light work I do.
Most of the tooling is shop made, which can and maybe should be done in a
hobby environment. If it's really worth less than $1000, maybe I shouldn't
take such good care of it!

I think some M head machines came with #2 Morse taper?

George Willer

"Wayne Makowicki" wrote in message
.net...
What is a "Round Ram" bridgeport milling machine. Someone has offered
one for $100.00. There are no collets and the seller is not sure if they
can be bought. It also has a 440 3 phase motor. Any input would be
great, thank you

George

"George Willer" wrote:

Wayne,

Mine came with a 220 single phase motor that I believe is original...lucky,
I guess. It has B&S #7 taper which works well for the light work I do.
Most of the tooling is shop made, which can and maybe should be done in a
hobby environment. If it's really worth less than $1000, maybe I shouldn't
take such good care of it!

I think some M head machines came with #2 Morse taper?

Yep. I've got one.

They are still available from MSC but they are a bit pricey.

Occasionally you'll see them for sale on eBay.

George.

George Willer