Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Default Flight

It's nearly dusk. It's been a very still day, and it's very quiet now.
The turbines stand idle. The hens have gone to bed. I'm up the ladder
painting the barge boards. Dozens of ladybirds land on the wet white
gloss and get stuck. Red with small black spots, red with medium black
spots, red with black spots so big the red is almost completely
obscured, black with red spots. They struggle, lifting their feet one at
a time. Some of them unfurl their wings in a brief, doomed attempt to
escape. A few somehow roll onto their backs, where they lay, frantically
waggling their legs. Immediately overhead a Belfast to Amsterdam flight
leaves a contrail. The fluffy bright red line goes all the way across
the sky, from horizon to horizon. My ankles are hurting. It's time for a
G & T and a ham sandwich, I think.

Bill
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2017 19:57, Bill Wright wrote:
It's nearly dusk. It's been a very still day, and it's very quiet now.
The turbines stand idle. The hens have gone to bed. I'm up the ladder
painting the barge boards. Dozens of ladybirds land on the wet white
gloss and get stuck. Red with small black spots, red with medium black
spots, red with black spots so big the red is almost completely
obscured, black with red spots. They struggle, lifting their feet one at
a time. Some of them unfurl their wings in a brief, doomed attempt to
escape. A few somehow roll onto their backs, where they lay, frantically
waggling their legs. Immediately overhead a Belfast to Amsterdam flight
leaves a contrail. The fluffy bright red line goes all the way across
the sky, from horizon to horizon. My ankles are hurting. It's time for a
G & T and a ham sandwich, I think.

Bill

Some friends of mine reported a near plague of ladybirds in some local
woodland (Woodchester Park, Glos) this afternoon.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Oct 2017 20:10:50 +0100, newshound wrote:

Some friends of mine reported a near plague of ladybirds in some local
woodland (Woodchester Park, Glos) this afternoon.

Some dude on the radio the other day said there were actually over 20
different species of ladybird now living in the UK.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2017 22:12, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 08 Oct 2017 20:10:50 +0100, newshound wrote:

Some friends of mine reported a near plague of ladybirds in some local
woodland (Woodchester Park, Glos) this afternoon.

Some dude on the radio the other day said there were actually over 20
different species of ladybird now living in the UK.

I blame Blair and Brown

Bill
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 20:10:50 +0100, newshound wrote:

Some friends of mine reported a near plague of ladybirds in some local
woodland (Woodchester Park, Glos) this afternoon.

I opened the front door that was in full sunshine and a swarm of them flew
in. Some immediately; some coming from 2 - 3 yards away.
They're a nuisance as they are on the floor and I have to be creful to avoid
them.
I wonder if this is somehow related to their perceived severity of the
coming Winter.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

interestingly there was a story recently about a weird cloud seen from the
satellites, and it was red. Turned out to be ladybirds migrating.
Millions of them, apparently.

it happens all over the world but its only recently that the sensors have
been sensitive enough to show them.

Of course if you get a similar issue indoors but with more orange bodies,
you have an infestation of the Common Carpet Beatle. Luckily they die after
mating if they cannot find a place to put their eggs.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
It's nearly dusk. It's been a very still day, and it's very quiet now. The
turbines stand idle. The hens have gone to bed. I'm up the ladder painting
the barge boards. Dozens of ladybirds land on the wet white gloss and get
stuck. Red with small black spots, red with medium black spots, red with
black spots so big the red is almost completely obscured, black with red
spots. They struggle, lifting their feet one at a time. Some of them
unfurl their wings in a brief, doomed attempt to escape. A few somehow
roll onto their backs, where they lay, frantically waggling their legs.
Immediately overhead a Belfast to Amsterdam flight leaves a contrail. The
fluffy bright red line goes all the way across the sky, from horizon to
horizon. My ankles are hurting. It's time for a G & T and a ham sandwich,
I think.

Bill

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2017 03:05, Bill Wright wrote:
On 08/10/2017 22:12, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 08 Oct 2017 20:10:50 +0100, newshound wrote:

Some friends of mine reported a near plague of ladybirds in some local
woodland (Woodchester Park, Glos) this afternoon.

Some dude on the radio the other day said there were actually over 20
different species of ladybird now living in the UK.

I blame Blair and Brown

Bill

I remember a short period a few decades ago (certainly before B&B) when
there were widespread heavy swarms. You could literally shovel them up
from the ground in places, and they were biting people.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 03:05:58 +0100, Bill Wright
coalesced the vapors of human experience into
a viable and meaningful comprehension...

On 08/10/2017 22:12, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 08 Oct 2017 20:10:50 +0100, newshound wrote:

Some friends of mine reported a near plague of ladybirds in some local
woodland (Woodchester Park, Glos) this afternoon.

Some dude on the radio the other day said there were actually over 20
different species of ladybird now living in the UK.

I blame Blair and Brown

Bill

I blame Lyndon B. Johnson.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
It's nearly dusk. It's been a very still day, and it's very quiet now.
The turbines stand idle. The hens have gone to bed. I'm up the ladder
painting the barge boards. Dozens of ladybirds land on the wet white
gloss and get stuck. Red with small black spots, red with medium black
spots, red with black spots so big the red is almost completely
obscured, black with red spots. They struggle, lifting their feet one at
a time. Some of them unfurl their wings in a brief, doomed attempt to
escape. A few somehow roll onto their backs, where they lay, frantically
waggling their legs. Immediately overhead a Belfast to Amsterdam flight
leaves a contrail. The fluffy bright red line goes all the way across
the sky, from horizon to horizon. My ankles are hurting. It's time for a
G & T and a ham sandwich, I think.

Bill

Sounds like a Jethro Tull song, circa Heavy Horses.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2017 17:24, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 16:33:15 +0100, Graham. wrote:

On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 03:05:58 +0100, Bill Wright
coalesced the vapors of human experience into
a viable and meaningful comprehension...

On 08/10/2017 22:12, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 08 Oct 2017 20:10:50 +0100, newshound wrote:

Some friends of mine reported a near plague of ladybirds in some local
woodland (Woodchester Park, Glos) this afternoon.

Some dude on the radio the other day said there were actually over 20
different species of ladybird now living in the UK.

I blame Blair and Brown

Bill

I blame Lyndon B. Johnson.

and his wife's parents.

She should have been called Lady Bug really, but I suppose that doesn't
sound so nice.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
wrote:

On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 03:05:58 +0100, Bill Wright
coalesced the vapors of human experience into
a viable and meaningful comprehension...

On 08/10/2017 22:12, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 08 Oct 2017 20:10:50 +0100, newshound wrote:

Some friends of mine reported a near plague of ladybirds in some
local
woodland (Woodchester Park, Glos) this afternoon.

Some dude on the radio the other day said there were actually over 20
different species of ladybird now living in the UK.

I blame Blair and Brown

Bill

I blame Lyndon B. Johnson.

and his wife's parents.

She should have been called Lady Bug really, but I suppose that doesn't
sound so nice.

I thought it was one of their staff - 'oh she's a pretty as a lady bird'?

Pretty sure it wasn't the name of her birth certificate?

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 9 October 2017 07:26:01 UTC+1, PeterC wrote:
On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 20:10:50 +0100, newshound wrote:

Some friends of mine reported a near plague of ladybirds in some local
woodland (Woodchester Park, Glos) this afternoon.

I opened the front door that was in full sunshine and a swarm of them flew
in. Some immediately; some coming from 2 - 3 yards away.
They're a nuisance as they are on the floor and I have to be creful to avoid
them.
I wonder if this is somehow related to their perceived severity of the
coming Winter.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
whilst religions hold sway

There was a nature programme that mentioned how insects know this stuff Anyone have a link?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Spammer
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 22:10:30 +0100, "James Heaton"
wrote:

news:1eydnaQbksabWUbEnZ2dnUU78WvNnZ2d@brightview .co.uk...
wrote:

[...]

Correct, but an improvement on Celia Alta :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Bird_Johnson

Claudia Alta, actually.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 09:07:25 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Of course if you get a similar issue indoors but with more orange
bodies, you have an infestation of the Common Carpet Beatle.

John, Paul, George or Ringo?
As for carpet beetles they're speckled brown, I never met an orange one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2017 09:07, Brian Gaff wrote:
interestingly there was a story recently about a weird cloud seen from the
satellites, and it was red. Turned out to be ladybirds migrating.
Millions of them, apparently.

I was one the other day about Painted Lady butterflies on radar in the US.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41528521

Andy