Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Open Flight Stair Covering Choices

Original owner/builder wrapped carpet around each step on our open flight
stairway. Probably was OK years ago but now its time to change
Under the carpet I see what appears to be a slab of 2 X 12 pine/fir.
Not particularly attractive.
What choices [with available bullnose?] should be considered to upgrade to a
better looking hard surface?
Thanks.
--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 9:28 pm, "John Keiser"
wrote:
Original owner/builder wrapped carpet around each step on our open flight
stairway. Probably was OK years ago but now its time to change
Under the carpet I see what appears to be a slab of 2 X 12 pine/fir.
Not particularly attractive.
What choices [with available bullnose?] should be considered to upgrade to a
better looking hard surface?
Thanks.
--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Pretty much all I know of are wood treads. Menards sells Oak and
Pine, but if you go to a real lumberyard or a hardwood company you can
get any stair tread you can imagine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Keiser" wrote in message
news:9s2dnYzvB7dJ1gDanZ2dnUVZ_ommnZ2d@hawaiiantel. net...
Original owner/builder wrapped carpet around each step on our open flight
stairway. Probably was OK years ago but now its time to change
Under the carpet I see what appears to be a slab of 2 X 12 pine/fir.
Not particularly attractive.
What choices [with available bullnose?] should be considered to upgrade to
a better looking hard surface?
Thanks.
--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Chances are good that you are looking at rebuilding the stairs. Carpet
covered stairs are generally built with materials and workmanship that will
be covered by the carpet so they do not worry about gaps, warpages, uneven
cuts, knots, exposed nails, etc.. It is basically the difference between
framing and finish carpentry. I doubt it would be practical to cover such
stairs with anything except more carpet. Yours, of course, might be much
better.

Don Young