Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Open Flight Stair Covering Choices

"John Keiser" wrote in message
news:9s2dnYzvB7dJ1gDanZ2dnUVZ_ommnZ2d@hawaiiantel. net...
Original owner/builder wrapped carpet around each step on our open flight
stairway. Probably was OK years ago but now its time to change
Under the carpet I see what appears to be a slab of 2 X 12 pine/fir.
Not particularly attractive.
What choices [with available bullnose?] should be considered to upgrade to
a better looking hard surface?
Thanks.
--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Chances are good that you are looking at rebuilding the stairs. Carpet
covered stairs are generally built with materials and workmanship that will
be covered by the carpet so they do not worry about gaps, warpages, uneven
cuts, knots, exposed nails, etc.. It is basically the difference between
framing and finish carpentry. I doubt it would be practical to cover such
stairs with anything except more carpet. Yours, of course, might be much
better.

Don Young