Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default While the electricians are here..

Extending a ring main to reach an island unit.

I have chased a slot in the concrete oversite but am uncertain how to
proceed. The eventual floor will be 40mm expanded polystyrene under 18mm
chipboard.

Metal or plastic duct and cement in place?
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
Extending a ring main to reach an island unit.

I have chased a slot in the concrete oversite but am uncertain how to
proceed. The eventual floor will be 40mm expanded polystyrene under 18mm
chipboard.

Metal or plastic duct and cement in place?

I'd use metal for a bit more protection just in case screw get driven in
later. But not proof against the determine impactdriver/hardened screws.
No idea what regs require.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2017 16:33, Bob Minchin wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
Extending a ring main to reach an island unit.

I have chased a slot in the concrete oversite but am uncertain how to
proceed. The eventual floor will be 40mm expanded polystyrene under 18mm
chipboard.

Metal or plastic duct and cement in place?

I'd use metal for a bit more protection just in case screw get driven in
later. But not proof against the determine impactdriver/hardened screws.
No idea what regs require.

Either will do IMHO. If some loony decided to ram 60mm screws into the
floor then that's their problem:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
Extending a ring main to reach an island unit.

I have chased a slot in the concrete oversite but am uncertain how to
proceed. The eventual floor will be 40mm expanded polystyrene under 18mm
chipboard.

Metal or plastic duct and cement in place?

I'd use metal for a bit more protection just in case screw get driven
in later. But not proof against the determine impactdriver/hardened
screws.
No idea what regs require.

Either will do IMHO. If some loony decided to ram 60mm screws into the
floor then that's their problem:-)

OK. I'll probably use 40mm solvent weld. Should meet the re-wireable
requirement:-)

Ta.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2017 20:29, Tim Lamb wrote:
snip

OK. I'll probably use 40mm solvent weld. Should meet the re-wireable
requirement:-)

And room for the mice to pass and repass
--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Robin
writes
On 05/10/2017 20:29, Tim Lamb wrote:
snip

OK. I'll probably use 40mm solvent weld. Should meet the re-wireable
requirement:-)

And room for the mice to pass and repass

They had clearly found their way into the loft and set up home.
Incidentally disproving the theory that glass fibre insulation is a
defence. Although the previous owner kept a cat, I think the access
route was where the kitchen waste was not a tight fit to the exterior
brickwork.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-10-06, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Robin
writes
On 05/10/2017 20:29, Tim Lamb wrote:
snip

OK. I'll probably use 40mm solvent weld. Should meet the re-wireable
requirement:-)

And room for the mice to pass and repass

They had clearly found their way into the loft and set up home.
Incidentally disproving the theory that glass fibre insulation is a
defence.

I didn't know about that theory, but I can assure you that it's
nonsense. The mice loved the glass fibre insulation in the loft of our
previous house. They tunneled through it, nested in it and filled up
the bait stations with it.

Wire wool is a reasonable defence. But glass wool, Huge is right - I
found mouse skeletons with a little ball of glass wool in their abdoment
area - silly ****ers will eat it and anything else!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-10-06, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Robin
writes
On 05/10/2017 20:29, Tim Lamb wrote:
snip

OK. I'll probably use 40mm solvent weld. Should meet the re-wireable
requirement:-)

And room for the mice to pass and repass

They had clearly found their way into the loft and set up home.
Incidentally disproving the theory that glass fibre insulation is a
defence.

I didn't know about that theory, but I can assure you that it's
nonsense. The mice loved the glass fibre insulation in the loft of our
previous house. They tunneled through it, nested in it and filled up
the bait stations with it.

Wire wool is a reasonable defence. But glass wool, Huge is right - I
found mouse skeletons with a little ball of glass wool in their abdoment
area - silly ****ers will eat it and anything else!

I'll bet they wont eat it if placed on a mouse trap:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
Wire wool is a reasonable defence. But glass wool, Huge is right - I
found mouse skeletons with a little ball of glass wool in their
abdoment area - silly ****ers will eat it and anything else!

I'll bet they wont eat it if placed on a mouse trap:-)

I vote for chocolate spread.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , ARW
writes
Wire wool is a reasonable defence. But glass wool, Huge is right - I
found mouse skeletons with a little ball of glass wool in their
abdoment area - silly ****ers will eat it and anything else!

I'll bet they wont eat it if placed on a mouse trap:-)

I vote for chocolate spread.

Marmalade worked well here.

I had a problem with mice here some years ago, and spent time looking at
how they could get in. And fitted mesh across all ventilators. Fairly
certain their only way in now is via an open door or window - not had a
problem since.

--
*The longest recorded flightof a chicken is thirteen seconds *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Haven't been here in quite a while; seems pretty slow Steve Turner[_3_] Woodworking 14 October 15th 13 01:24 AM
Been a while since I've read here. I need sources for various simple projects JazzMan Electronics Repair 4 March 14th 05 04:21 PM
electricians snake JJ UK diy 9 December 6th 04 01:24 PM
Smoke decector circuit, and why are electricians so expensive? Jeff Home Repair 7 September 7th 04 01:32 AM
How much do Electricians Charge? Pablo UK diy 4 August 25th 03 11:10 AM