Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oh sh1t!

On 03/10/2017 05:09, Rod Speed wrote:

wrote in message
On Friday, 29 September 2017 05:19:44 UTC+1, Rod SpeedĀ* wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
On Thursday, 28 September 2017 23:59:23 UTC+1, Rod SpeedĀ* wrote:
"GB" wrote in message
news On 28/09/2017 22:41, Rod Speed wrote:

I don't reuse nails (of course), but they do all get jumbled
together
in
a box. I suppose that might harm the galvanising. I suppose that
'bright
steel' nails are galvanised?

Nope.

How do they stay 'bright' then?

Dunno, but they dont have the classic mottled/visible
pattern you get with galvanised.

wiki isnt much help
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nail_(fastener)#Materials

Bright nails are normally zinc plated. Maybe they're electroplated
rather
than hot dipped, I don't know.

https://www.hunker.com/13401353/how-...are-galvanized

is unfortunately wrong. Galv is bright & shiny,

Nope, none of mine is and I have lots of it, everything from the roof
gutters
to the main pressed metal roof beams that hold the entire roof up, and some
quite big nails that have obviously been hot dipped in zinc.

it takes a good while for it to go dull & grey.

BULL****.

It has taken 5 years for my galvanised garage roof sheets to even start
to lose their shine.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

wrote in message
On Friday, 29 September 2017 05:19:44 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
On Thursday, 28 September 2017 23:59:23 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"GB" wrote in message
[...]

The original isnt talking about shine.